Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Default 1930-31 ford deck lid work on 1929 ford coupe?

I found a good 1930-31 ford deck lid that is in good shape, Im needing a decent one for my 1929 coupe build, my coupe has one but by the time I fix it I would be in more than what I can get the 1930-31 deck lid for. The 1930-31 decklid is set up for rumble seat and my 1929 isnt but I dnt think that would be a problem I would just need to switch the hinge and the clock around. But besides that will the deck lid work for my 1929 coupe? Also he has a windshield frame for sale, I think this will work for my coupe, just asking to make sure.

Thanks
Billy
BillyBobsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
milo

Default Re: 1930-31 ford deck lid work on 1929 ford coupe?

Same deck lid, different latches........
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
wrndln

If the windshield frame is for a 30/31, it will NOT work on a 29 A unless you make some modifications. The 30/31 and 28/29 frames are the same overall outside dimensions. The mounting brackets for the slides are different than 28/29. The windshield slides wont work right if you don't change them. You would need to remove the 30/31 style brackets and install 28/29 style mounting brackets, which you can purchase at model A part houses. The wind deflector on the bottom is also different on the ends, however the 30/31 style wont be a problem in a 29. I believe there is also a difference in the holes used for the windshield wiper, but I am not sure about that. BTW, you need to really check the bottom channel for rust outs - they are hard to repair if they are rusted through. and many frame are rusted out Hope this helps.

As far as the trunk lid is concerned, you may have trouble getting the latch to work right. That is the only difference I know of between the 28/29 and 30/31 style lids.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Using a '30-31 deck lid as a trunk is pretty much a non-issue. The only difference is at the top latch area which will go unnoticed by nearly everyone. Using it as a rumble lid on a '29 would be an issue but doable.

Regardless of the rumble lid year you will need to transfer the hinge supports from the old lid and of course patch the handle hole on the outer skin. If you want to finish it off nicely on the inside you should carefully grind off the rumble lid hinge "D" nuts and remove the reinforcement brackets (with "D" nut remains) from the inside and hopefully save these for someone else. Patch/plug the "D" nut holes (six on each side) and you will have a trunk lid that looks like it should on the inside.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
thanks guys, i thought the 2 trunk lids where very similar. Ill probly go this weekend to get it.
BillyBobsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote