Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Jim in S.C.

Default Transmission trouble

I have installed a new (not rebuilt) trans in my 31 I bought it from what I consider to be one of our better parts dealers. I say this to make it clear that I am in no way bashing the seller. If I wanted to remove the trans I am sure that they would refund my money. Believe me I don't want to take it out. I just want it to quit slipping out of high gear. This happens when I am going down hill with my foot off the gas. The back pressure just makes it go into nutral. If you play with the gas pedel and hold your hand on the shift lever you can feel it slideing back and forth in the trans.
Are the spring detents suppose To hold it in gear? It takes a lot of hand pressure to make it stay in gear. I am useing the same shift tower that was on the old trans and it didn't jump out of high gear. I also put in a new clutch disk and pilot bearing. The reason I put in the new trans is because I had a chiped tooth in second gear. It would make a knocking sound in second. I am open to and will appreciate any suggestions.
Jim in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Transmission trouble

Have ypou spoken to the dealer you got the box from?
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Was the flywheel cover dialed in and the correct thickness shims installed under the top 2 flywheel cover bolts?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Sounds like a pilot bearing problem, but if you put a new one in, did you just happen to check if it was a snug fit on the input shaft?
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

Jim and Tom are on the right track. Slipping out of 3rd on a downhill is often related to a wobbly or mis aligned main drive shaft. On a worn one, its usually the pilot shaft. Since yours is new, I would suspect a poor fit of the pilot bearing to the pilot shaft, or a mis aligned flywheel housing. The max tolerance for the fit of the pilot to the pilot bearing is .002. There is also the slim possibility of a poorly machined pilot shaft on the new gear, or a problem with the internal pilot shaft and the needle bearing. Something is causing the drive gear to wobble in relation to the slider gear. Unfortunately, removing the transmission again is probably in the cards.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote