Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
TerryS

Default New gas tank and gas guage question

Looking at new gas tanks on line for my stock 34 coupe. Seems to be a wide range in prices. Also my dash hydrostatic guage doesn't work but I would like to see if I can repair it once out of the tank. I've read the posts about availability of a lasting red fluid just wondering about the parts in the tank.
Anyone able to share their experience and advice on either of these projects?
Thanks Terry
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: New gas tank and gas guage question

I have rebuilt several 32-34 tank units. Soak them in somthing that will cut the gunk, then glass bead them with low pressure. Then blow out all the passages and run some wire (like wire feed wire) into them to make sure nothing is clogging them, don't forget the small hole in the very bottom. Keep in mind the venting of these tanks is through this unit and NOT the cap. The large tube coming out of the top (often pinched with a hole in it is the vent. Make sure this is clear. Notice the 2 "cups" on the unit that catches fuel and bubbles. They are very thin copper or brass and often have cracks due to sloshing fuel I think. I always solder those cracks up. With a new air line and good gauge, it will all work. After sitting a few days the gauge will go back down to Empty but rocking the car back and forth will make it read accurate again. Good luck!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #3
TerryS

Thank you Deuce Roadster, sounds good.
What do you use for the red fluid and any recommendations on tanks?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #4
Terry,OH

The best tank is the original 34 tank. All the replacements I am aware of have problems due to design which can prevent the hydrostatic unit from even mounting.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

TERRYS, As Terry,OH said, unless your tank is junk look for a business that can fix it. There used to be one in Portland Oregon called Gas Tank Renew that would clean and blast the tank and re galvenize it inside and out with a coating of zinc. Perhaps there is a business like that near you. If you click on my avatar and go to my photo albums, the MISC album has pictures of a bottle of original Ford gauge fluid I have and use on my 2 cars with the hydrostatic gauges. I CANNOT ship this stuff as it is prohibited by law. If you lived close to me, I would put the few drops into your gauge to zero it.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #6
TerryS

Thank you for the info.
My tank is in very good shape no leaks or scale that I can see. There is a fine rusty powder that has clogged up my carb twice despite my vigilant cleaning of the glass filter bowl after each drive. Didn't realize it was getting thru the glass screen. I was thinking of a 10 micron marine filter but the guy cleaning the carb advised that wouldn't work, besides looking nasty hanging on my firewall. Thanks for the generous offer of sparing a few drops of that "red" gold you have, didn't know it still existed. I'll work on locating someone closer than Albany NY "gas tank renu" for repair. Can't imagine the 34 tank can be cleaned to well with all the baffles in it.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

Any radiator shops near you that can and will boil it out? Good shop will give you back a clean tank. Good luck, at least you have a good tank.
I had a 34 Sedan Delivery I brought back from the dead, you may have seen the pictures of it in that same folder. It had a tank like a pickup or Victoria with a screw in filler neck. To say I honed my metal working skills on that car is an understatement.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I had a 34 Sedan Delivery I brought back from the dead, you may have seen the pictures of it in that same folder. It had a tank like a pickup or Victoria with a screw in filler neck. To say I honed my metal working skills on that car is an understatement.

True scoop! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

Coop, It was in the late 70s or early 80s when I bought that body for $2500 out of Idaho. Most of my friends said the money would have been better spent on some kind of therapy!
As tore up as it was, there was no rust. I was told the damage to the rear was from a front-end loader. It was upside down on the ground when I first saw it. Funny thing was I hated driving it, so I got rid of it.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:01 AM   #10
TerryS

Funny you should bring up a radiator shop. I worked in one back in the 70's. We had a large vat that we boiled gas tanks in before we soldered on copper patches for leaks. The boil also found more leaks.
I don't recall if the process was to clean out rust as well. I'll make some calls today. After it's cleaned I believe it should be coated inside, do you agree?
Thanks Terry
Old 09-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #11
deuce lover

Regarding mounting the hydrostatic sender,a friend here in France has a'35 cabriolet with a Drake tank.The Drake tanks are set up for the later electric sender. I ordered for him the adapter that Drake sells so he could use the original '35 sender. It worked out just fine .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas sender adapter.jpg (24.2 KB, 3 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #12
TerryS

Interesting, I think I should get the tank pulled and look inside the sending unit. What I find then will probably make my decision easier on whether it is realistically worth repairing or not? OCD makes me over think to much stuff, runs in the family. Lol
Old 09-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

There are newer tank coatings that are not affected by the alcohol gas. NAPA sells a gas tank sealing kit (coating) that I used on a friend's tank successfully several years ago. I think I had to clean the tank with MEK before putting in the sealer.
If there is a Redi-Strip franchise near you that is the best way to completely remove rust.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #14
TerryS

Update on my dirty gas tank. So after removing tank and getting a good look inside through the sending unit, I've decided to replace with new tank and lines. I'll save the old one in case I get motivated some day in the future, lol.
The sending unit needs a thorough cleaning and a new air line fitting. Are these fittings silver soldered and are they available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220926_082947.jpg (21.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20220926_083019.jpg (22.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #15
deuce lover

They are soldered(not silver) and not available.Looks like it snapped off when you removed the nut.Here is a pic showing the fittings.There is a '35 sender listed in the classifieds .

Link:https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303539

You could pull the fitting off it to fix yours. I run a 5/16 24 thread chaser over those threads to clean them up.Corrosion makes it difficult to get a nut back on easily.I also use a bottoming tap on the nut of its an original.New ones of those are available in the kits or separately from straight eight.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33,34 & 35 fuel senders.jpg (39.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 35-34 fuel sender comparison.jpg (37.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 09-26-2022 at 08:29 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #16
TerryS

Didn't want to hear that.
Maybe someone has a junk one that I can scavenge?
Thanks Terry