Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
fiftychev

Default Hand wiper for a 30 closed car

Has anyone installed a hand wiper on a 1930 closed car. I'm not trying for original. It looks like with some modification the wipers for the 29 would work.

Any ideas (besides Rainex) would be appreciated.

Thanks
fiftychev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Hand wiper for a 30 closed car

You would be better served with an automatic wiper but if you are just trying to comply with the law a hand wiper could be used. Pass the shaft through one of the holes in the windshield.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
ian Simpson

Not a 1930, but I did install a hand wiper in our 1928 Tudor. Not a hard job, and as we avoid driving in the rain when possible, not a big deal. As an aside, I wipe the windows down with Rainex regularly.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

1. Any wiper is better than no wiper if in a wreck while it is raining .... no matter who is right or wrong.

2. Imagine the other guys lawyer explaining not having a windshield wiper to a jury ..... one may have about as much a chance as one would have while getting in a wreck at night with no headlights.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
mike657894

mikes has one http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A17655AR.html
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #6
coupe1942

The hand-held wiper assembly shown at Mike's Affordable in the previous photos posted would require a bracket if it is similar to the ones used on closed cab pickups. I believe that there is a bracket for it which is not shown in the photo, (but I may be mistaken).

On the pickups which used the hand-held wiper there is a bracket that is also attached as part of the complete setup. This bracket on a pickup is a part which is difficult to find in my opinion. Here is a photo of the pickup bracket and I believe that the wiper assembly can be installed without the bracket, but is probably subject to leakage without it. Just guessing on that though.

Correct me if I am wrong as I am not certain about the closed cars and how the wiper assembly is done with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracket for hand-hled wiper.jpg (21.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 12-12-2016 at 06:34 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
1Metalbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Although this is the wiper assembly shown at Mike's in the previous photos posted, I believe there is more to it than just that part alone. Just like the pickups which used the hand-held wiper, there is a bracket that is also attached as part of the complete setup. This bracket on a pickup is a part which is difficult to find in my opinion. There is a difference between the closed cab bracket for a pickup and open car one, I believe. Here are photos of the brackets and I believe the wiper assembly can be installed without the bracket, but is probably subject to leakage without it. Just guessing on that though.

I may be incorrect on this so correct me if i am.
I have a original still in the windshield for my truck, I'll try to get some pics of it and post them here to see if it has the bracket or not
1Metalbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

#6 the picture on the left is the hand wiper bracket for the pickup.
The Phaeton and Roadster just ran the hand wiper through the hole in the round windshield frame, with no tube support.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
coupe1942

Removed the second photo and edited my reply. I have some photos in my phone of the bracket installed in a pickup, but, unfortunately, I have no clue as to how to email them to myself so I can post them here. I had a friend email them to me on the phone a few months back as his pickup still has the wiper and bracket setup on it.

Thanks for correcting the info I had posted. Like say, I am not certain if the mounting is the same on a CCPU as it is on the open cars with this unit.

Last edited by coupe1942; 12-12-2016 at 06:36 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote