Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: New to the Flathead game and need advice

Just for information's sake, any oil with "50" as the last number of the weight has sufficient zinc for just about any need. For that reason, I run Mobil-1 10/50 in the hemi in my race car with an Engle roller cam.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #22
Ggmac

Just something else to consider on your gear ratio is the size of your tires . They look to be a bunch shorter than what would be original . Take into account the diam. of current tires vs original. The ratio is stamped on the center housing .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #23
paul2748

I have been told that oil with any oil with "40" is the same deal. In fact, a noted YBlock engine builder uses Valvoline conventional 10-30 and 10-40 in all his engine builds as they have enough zinc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just for information's sake, any oil with "50" as the last number of the weight has sufficient zinc for just about any need. For that reason, I run Mobil-1 10/50 in the hemi in my race car with an Engle roller cam.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
That’s the first I heard about a flathead not needing sink (zinc) in the oil. Makes sense though.
The additives came along with higher valve spring pressures with OHVs.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #25
WABOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
Oh, and as for that SUPER TEC oil that Walmart sells...

There was an article about that oil on one of these forums some years ago by an oil engineer. He said it was the best you could buy for the money. But didn’t say what company actually made Walmart’s own brand of motor oil.
Warren Distributing Oil Company.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #26
Rick Gibbs

I think I should clarify, sorry new to the forum. But what I am trying to get in the gearing is turning a lower RPM at 50 mph and will go to 60 mph if I needed to. I would tear my engine apart trying to get to 60mph right now because it is running so hard to get to 50 mph. I just don’t want to strain the engine so hard cruising at 50mph. I hope that makes more sense. The idea of changing the whole rear axial is a good idea .... but I have already completely reworked this axial including new paint and coating. I thought the gearing would be good and the hands on work renewing the gearing was done by a friend. I wanted it to be done by someone that does it every day. The tire I am running is 255/55/18. They way the truck currently sits I don’t think I got any room to go bigger. Chatter has only started recently but I have gotten more play in the shifter . So since I am always fine tuning the truck I was going to check on the linkages and make sure the clutch is adjusted right. “Great help 19fordy” that is very good info he sent me. I am going to check all the mounts under the truck tomorrow while I am checking on the clutch. Speedway has gearing for sale I think it was 3:57. Do y’all think that would be right ratio?
Rick Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #27
Mart

255 55 18 is approximately a 29" combo. That should be roughly equivalent to 6.50:16.

The 3.54 gears are a great swap into these old trucks, that's what I have in my 41.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #28
Rick Gibbs

mart you are speaking Greek to me. Lol I think if I am following you right. Stay with the tires I got and get the gearing ratio I found at speedway. I don’t understand the 6.50:16 and 29 combo you said. Sorry if that is a stupid question.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Rick, engine rpm, gear ratios and tire sizes are all related. The easiest way to reduce engine rpm is to increase tire size. In the rpm formula tire size is in diameter. Mart is giving you a tire size (the numbers on the side of the tire) that is equal to a 29 inch diameter tire.

Smaller tires will increase the engine rpm, larger diameter tires will reduce engine rpms. A 29 inch tire is a common diameter for these vehicles.

You can play with the numbers and see what you like, here is the RPM formula:

RPM = (MPH X Trans Ratio X Rear Axle Ratio X 336) / Tire Dia

In high gear in a 1:1 ratio transmission the Trans Ratio is 1, so:

RPM = (MPH X Rear Axle Ratio X 336) / Tire Dia

Now on the question of destroying a flathead engine with RPM, most likely not going to happen. 4000 rpms is very doable by about any flathead.

The MPH formula is:

MPH = (RPM X Tire Dia) / (Rear Axle Ratio X 336)

(4000 RPM X 29 inch Tire) / 4.11 Axle Ratio X 336) = MPH

So, MPH = (116,000) / (1380.96) = 84

At 3000 RPM the MPH would be 63

At 2500 RPM it would be 52 MPH.

Most people are not accustom to the sound of an engine running at higher RPMs because most modern engine are geared to run at lower RPMs. The design of the valve in head engine is very sturdy and the engine will be limited by the breathing capability of anything near stock engine. The engine is not going to be capable of high enough rpm to do any damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_enginecurves_1939-40_95hp.jpg (58.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 07-30-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #30
Rick Gibbs

Thanks, knew they were all related , never have worked the formula. I now understand the “29” and what it meant. Thank you
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #31
Rick Gibbs

Thanks, knew they were all related , never have worked the formula. I now understand the “29” and what it meant. Thank you
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #32
38bill

My pickup has 29" dia tires a 3:54 rear end and a T5 transmission. I love the T5's overdrive and it was basically a bolt in swap with the existing floor shift. There are adapters available for the banjo rear end that convert them to a open drive shaft so you can keep your existing rear end. I agree with JSeery about the sound. I finally installed a tach and found the RPM's to be much lower than I thought even though it seemed like the motor was really wound up. Post some photos of your truck please.
38bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #33
Rick Gibbs

Yes sir, I will add some picture to my album soon. Having connection issues at the moment.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #34
Hoop

Deleted by Hoop

Last edited by Hoop; 08-10-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #35
Rick Gibbs

So this is a follow up post and new question. Adjusted all the linkage on the clutch and checked out all the mounts related to the chatter question. Truck much much better. Thanks to all that helped. New question is about the oil. So I got lucus old motor oil with zinc 10w40. Oil pressure 40 psi when engine is cold. When it warms up to 180 temp. My oil pressure goes to 10 psi to 20 psi. The psi will increase when warm with higher RPMs but just sitting still will go back down to 10 psi. Do I need to run a heavier oil weight like a 20w50 during hotter days. Temp running well over 90 degrees on a daily basis in Alabama. Thanks for the help in advice.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #36
Mart

The oil is fine, don't worry about it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #37
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gibbs View Post
So this is a follow up post and new question. Adjusted all the linkage on the clutch and checked out all the mounts related to the chatter question. Truck much much better. Thanks to all that helped. New question is about the oil. So I got lucus old motor oil with zinc 10w40. Oil pressure 40 psi when engine is cold. When it warms up to 180 temp. My oil pressure goes to 10 psi to 20 psi. The psi will increase when warm with higher RPMs but just sitting still will go back down to 10 psi. Do I need to run a heavier oil weight like a 20w50 during hotter days. Temp running well over 90 degrees on a daily basis in Alabama. Thanks for the help in advice.
That's about normal for an engine with a lot of miles on it.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #38
Rick Gibbs

Thanks a lot guys, totally appreciate it