Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
36Bill

Default Media for sandblasting

I want to cleanup a set of wheels for my '36. I looked for blasting media and the choices are many. We now have soda, walnut shell, glass bead, crushed glass, sand, and several more grits that sound like sandpaper. What is the best media to remove rust without too much damage to the wheels?

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Torchie

Default Re: Media for sandblasting

Are you having some one do them or doing it yourself?
I do my own wheels with a syphon type hopper style sand blaster and a 5hp compressor. I just use standard blasting sand (Don't know what the grit is) and have never had a problem with damage. You could use finer grit sand(3X) if you want.
I have used walnuts shells and corn when working on log cabins due to the softness of the wood but never used it on metal.
I don't do enough metal blasting to justify purchasing a soda blaster so i won't comment on them.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 02-14-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

I use # 5 or 6 glass beads works fine on carbs,dist, and FP's. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Seth Swoboda

I use what Ken uses in my blast cabinet. I guess it depends how cruddy your wheels are. If there are multiple heavy coats of paint or heavy rust scale then sand may cut faster. Some times if the paint is thick, glass beads just take a little longer but won't etch out the steel as bad.

For big jobs that won't fit in the cabinet, I now take the work to a local professional. He can get the job done a lot faster and easier than me trying to mess around with the sand pot and fighting water problems. I don't use my sand pot anymore, it's just not worth fighting it to me.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
trainguy

Soda has had problems with paint adhesion.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
mfagan

I take my wheels to my local automotive
Machine shop and have them run through
their steel shot machine, does a beautiful
job and leaves a new, smooth finish.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
robert dick

if you have rust etc. along with crud , i would use black beauty, but you need to be very careful, it cuts like crazy.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
1930pu

When I was getting my model a wheels powder coated the guy showed me what he uses to blast with, it is recycled glass fine grit it is about $ 7.50 for 50# at a local hardware supply store, I use it in my blast cabinet and in my Pressure sandblaster, In the sandblaster I run it thru 3 times then get rid of it, I really like the finish. Jim
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Bob NH

1930pu, is there a brand name on this glass material your using ? I buy a bag from TIP now and then but shipping is pricy. In my outdoor pressure pot I am lucky as there is a sand and gravel pit not many miles from where I live. I take five gallon sheetrock pails and fill a lot of them at once, bring it home and spread it thin on a piece of plastic sheeting on the basement floor till the moisture dries up then screen it back into the pails and I'm good to go. I know it sounds like a lot to go through but the price is right and being retired helps to have time to do it.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Don

Give your monument guy a call,we have one that only works on metal on Fridays after he has used the grit all week on granite.works out nice and reasonable price
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
B-O-B

I use silica sand from home depot. ust be sure to wear a respirator along with eye protection.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Walt Dupont--Me.

mfagan has the right answer. I have all my engines baked and shot peened. THey come out like a new casring. I have had wheels done in the shot peen, just like new metal in no time. Spoke wheels take hours to clean with sand blaster. Shot peen like new in no time. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
1930pu

I will check tomorrow and let you know the brand name, hopefully it is available near you, the powder coater uses it for powdercoating and I did my fenders and hood and the painter likes it too. Jim
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
V12Bill

I use 00 grit sand to sandblast with that I get from a masonry supple store. Cost about $11 for a 100# bag. I use it 5 times before I throw it out. I hate sandblasting. It is about the dirtiest job there is in restoring an old car, but it does get the metal clean.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
36Bill

Thanks for all of the replies.
I looked in the yellow pages and didn't find anyone still in the blasting game. I have an old hopper style gun that I got years ago from Sears and it was never fun. I haven't used it in years but if I can get some grit locally I might try it again. I like the idea of taking them to someone and picking them up done. They are not really over painted, only one coat with some overspray from a long ago paint job and not much rust. I have been thinking about a Harbor Freight cabinet to make it more user friendly, has anyone used one?

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
Kurt in NJ

For outdoor sandblasting I use #50, it is finer than 00, in the booth I use crushed glass, the first batches I bought from TIP at Hershey, lately I have bought it from ENCO when they have free shipping ---it is interesting to hear that 1930pu gets it at a hardware store for a good price I wish there was a good hardware store like that around here

One thing I learned is to always sift your media before using it, all it takes is 1 pebble to stop up the flow.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Bill View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.
I looked in the yellow pages and didn't find anyone still in the blasting game. I have an old hopper style gun that I got years ago from Sears and it was never fun. I haven't used it in years but if I can get some grit locally I might try it again. I like the idea of taking them to someone and picking them up done. They are not really over painted, only one coat with some overspray from a long ago paint job and not much rust. I have been thinking about a Harbor Freight cabinet to make it more user friendly, has anyone used one?

Bill
I have never used a HF cabinet but thought about buying one once. Until I read the customer reviews.
Talk to your local auto parts store. They may be ble to point you to some one that can blast for you.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
1930pu

36Bill Sorry I don't have a bag I thought I still had one, but it is fine grit recycled glass I got it from a hardware supply locally
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
36Bill

Torchie, The auto parts guy said to try the body shops but none of them list that as a service. I will check though. Thanks for the tip off on the cabinet, I didn't read the reviews.
1930pu, Thanks for looking. Its just crushed glass?

Bill
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Bill View Post
Torchie, The auto parts guy said to try the body shops but none of them list that as a service. I will check though. Thanks for the tip off on the cabinet, I didn't read the reviews.
1930pu, Thanks for looking. Its just crushed glass?

Bill
Hey Bill,
Sounds like you have the same simple equipment that I have to blast with. I checked out harbor freight cabinets and none that I inspected were large enough to do something large as a wheel. They do sell the hood/mask and various types of blast media..tho pricey IMO.
If you blast outside , as I do, you will use lots of media. So, I get 100# bags of silica sand from building supplies places (brick/stone,etc). CHEAP too!
Silica really cuts quick/nicely...because it is fine. Therefore, it is important to wear protection, i.e.-hood /mask/gloves/coveralls. I only own/use one horse compressor and still get pretty quick results. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
36Bill

I'll check out the masonry supply, thanks.

Bill
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
oldandtired

I have a pressure pot blaster and use extra fine blasting sand at about 90psi, sometimes more. I also have a beadblast cabinet using glass beads. The beadblast cabinet does not work as well when trying to remove thicker paints with a glaze or old runs. I usually sandblast wheels and then run them through the beadblast cabinet which leaves a very nice finish on them.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
40fordpu

I am with hardtimes on this. Silica seems to work great for me. I have blasted almost all the parts on my truck. I had my rims powder coated after hitting them with 80 grit silica from Thompsons Building materials. $6 bucks a 100# bag. MUST be done outside with a respirator. Days after I find sand in places you would not believe. I do it on concrete so I can reuse three times or so. Have to be careful with the sand break down into dust.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
Gary Tosel

I have used silica sand and aluminum oxide for rust removal and as has been discussed always use a good mask around silica sand. I have also used quartz white sand from Toys R Us for cleaning up aluminum with lower air pressure. The sand is inexpensive and does not have the worry about silica dust. Just my experience.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
36Bill

Toys R Us, that is great, who would have thought to look there. Maybe they need to have a department for older boys with bigger toys.

Bill