Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
36Bill

Default cowl and shell lacing

I lost one of my radiator shell lacing's so I ordered new ones from Mac's, cowl too. I started with the shell and found the lacing is almost 3/8th narrower than what was on there. Is there someone else that has the right stuff? The next job was the cowl lacing. It was the right size, the same that they sent for the shell. I put it on just the same as what was on there and just as I was at the end it was short, just over an inch. I called Mac's and explained the problem and she talked to the manager and got one of the lacing kits and measured it. She said that it should be 90" long but I had not measured it before installing it as the shell lacing was too long so why worry. She finally measured it and it was 89". At that point I asked that they send me a half of the lacing as they didn't have the full length in stock and I must have gotten the same 89" kit. No they couldn't do that but they will sell me another kit. I just don't want to buy something that I have already paid for. So, who has the right shell lacing and the right cowl lacing as I am not going back to Mac's even thought I have bought from them for years with few problems I have had enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0790.JPG (67.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.JPG (61.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0794.JPG (64.2 KB, 60 views)
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
larry/Texas

Default Re: cowl and shell lacing

I had the same problem on a '33 Tudor and was told the same thing. If buying two to get the correct length, that is money in their pocked they do not deserve per advertised produce or length. If that is customer service I will and have gone elsewhere and I also get faster delivery. I will only buy from them in the future what I can't somewhere else and if needed i will spend the time to look.

We all can not be wrong when we have the same problems.
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
36Bill

They told me they had no problems with these. They sold 187 or something like that with no complaints. Not to me, not again.

Bill
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
thirt4

I'm going to also need the lacing for my '34. So what company will have the correct size and length?
I will not buy my lacing from Mac's now that I know.
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
DICK SPADARO

This has been an issue for years. Some prepackage kits are identified incorrectly or are a one size fits all. I have been making lace kits for 20 years based upon original dimensions and bead sizes as close to original as possible with the woven material now available. I am assuming that you are doing a 35/6 pickup truck, the closest correct grille lace is 7/8" bead lace that is supplied in 54" lengths, the cowl lace is 5/8 bead that is supplied in 97" total length. Its a lot less aggravation for me to give you an inch or so too much than have you come up short.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
larry/Texas

Dick

Thanks for your comments above. There are alternative's and we need to support those who give us what is correct. Mac's just doesn't understand that they need to research and supply what is correct. They did not do that in terms of the cowl lacing and appear to think they are correct and the customer is wrong.

There are other vendors who do their research.

Thanks Dick
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
36Bill

Dick,

Thanks, I will call when you open next week. Those few inches of product would have saved me time and aggravation. I hope your catalog will be finished soon.

Bill
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
DavidG

Even if Mac's ends up furnishing you with the correct length, there's a second disappointment that will present itself down the road. The lacing being sold today such as shown in your photos has soft cores in the raised areas as opposed to the hard cores within the original. The weight of your hood and the downward pressure created when the hood is latched with compress the soft cores in time and eventually the hood will become misaligned with the cowl. Sadly, the original hard core material is no longer available, so you may end up doing this job more than once.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
36Bill

David,

The lacing that was on my truck seemed like it was original and very worn so I didn't want to replace it. It was only after one side of the shell lacing fell off that I replaced it and it didn't look as bad as I though it would. I look forward to getting the right stuff. I only hope that I will drive it enough to wear them out.

Bill
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Hotrodvideo

Mac's has been the subject of a lot of negative posts lately.

I bought cowl & grille shell lacing from them for my '32 and both are the same thing but that stuff is too fat for the grille but that's all they make.

I had a problem with their '40 brake hoses, the nut on the shank was a size between 1/2 & 9/16! I had to file down a 1/2 open end to get it on there tightly so I could tighten the damn thing to get them to stop leaking.
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote