Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
36Bill

Default 36 hubcap painting

There seem to be two types of hubcaps for a '36, pressed in and pressed out. The ins are often painted black in the V8 and the circle only, is that stock? The outs are often painted within the circle but the V8 and the circle are bare metal. Is that stock '36 or another year? Was the outside, not the stainless part, always black on pickup and cars or did they follow the body color of the car?

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
37don

Default Re: 36 hubcap painting

Bill, I believe the indented caps are for 36 and the raised caps are for the 37 and maybe 38 & 39.
Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

The main part of the cap, not covered with stainless, is body color. V8 is black. 36 is concave and 37 is convex
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
V12Bill

According to the authenticity manual for 1939, The delux cars had the metal painted body color and the standards and commerciqls were painted black, except in the case where someone wanted to pay extra to have the hubcaps match the body color on their standard or commercial vehicle. Henry did this to make it more difficult to restore his cars 70 years later.

The 36 and 37 hubcaps have a different base (painted part) than the 38 39 vehicles. The early models the base was concave toward the edge, and the later models the painted part was convex toward the edge. I thought that I had all of my hubcaps and then found that I haad two different types.

The V8 with the circle both indented and raised were 36 & 37.( don't know which year is which) The 1938 standard and delux had a large V8 with no circle. The 1939 had a smaller V8 with no circle for standard and commercial and the delux had a very small V8 with several rings.

Basically they were all the same only a little bit different.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Tom's36coupe

I have never seen stock 36 hub caps painted any color but black, other than mine! lol....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (50.3 KB, 66 views)
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
36Bill

Thanks for the input. Most of the caps that I have are black but I do see other colors but pass them up I guess. With the black fenders on pickups would that be the color of the cap or would it follow the body? How about the rims?

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
OLD...BILL

BILL: I say the can, ( metal ) part of the hubcap should be the color of you main body color. and the wheels Black, I base this on my brothers 36 woodie, original original , he is the second owner. over 50 years plus, bought from old time movie star. Gloria Swanson, eatate, the wagon has several movie creats, and was in several world war ll movies, and is the wagon Swanson and Clark Gable sat on the tail gate for the the originial Hendenburge movie,,,, caps, are originial 36 and the color of the sheet metal, dove gray ,all five caps. I have held thies caps in my hands and the inside is as original and the outside. ( dove gray ) thats MHO...... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Robert1936

The '35-'36 Early Ford V8 Club book states that the V8, the ring, the outer hub cap and the road wheel were painted black in standard 1936 cars and were all painted body color in deluxe cars.
These books are very worthwhile to have.
robert1936
Robert1936 is offline   Reply With Quote