Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: How to repair damage to a deck

I'd try high temperature epoxy first. There are better alternatives than plain JB Weld, some available from JB Weld itself. I have used a couple of their products to fill gouges in the combustion chamber of used heads with great success.

This is all dependent on whether the valve seat is damaged in any way.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #22
jetmek

I havta go with russ/40’s advice on that plastic filler wont work
Old 04-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #23
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I would stitch it, from the water hole, to just inside the fire ring.
I thought about stitching, I would have to farm that out. Whatever I used I figured if there where any low spots use an epoxy to smooth it out.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #24
36coupe

What is the potential damage if you hit it with the Mig Welder. Could the heat cause the cast break? I know ideally to preheat the whole block which I can’t do, I can only heat in the general area.
I have a couple damaged blocks I might experiment on, see how much abuse they can take first.
The casting is quite thin on the edges by the water jacket and seat.
I have to first get the rest of the valves out and then I can check it again for cracks, I haven’t found any yet. It is still standard bore as well.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #25
Mart

What would happen if you drilled and tapped for a pipe plug right on the fire ring line. Then fit a plug and cut/file it off flush with the deck?

Just sort of thinking out loud. From experience, brazing such a piece is very difficult to do without inducing a crack nearby. The deck only needs to be good on the fire ring line, either side is more forgiving.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #26
Mart

I just saw the post re the mig. I have no experience of mig on cast but have successfully welded up a cracked pan rail on a flathead block using (I think) high nickel arc welding rods specially made for repairing cast iron. You do a short burst and let it cool in between beads. That might be do-able. Again, just concentrate on the fire ring line. As long as that is soundly filled, the rest will be ok either as is or with a bit of epoxy or something.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #27
jetmek

Mig weld is really hard. You will have a lot of trouble getting it flat with the deck and high potential to cause cracking as it shrinks. Put the farmer tools away and seek out professional help
Old 04-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
KiWinUS

I know it’s not cracked but I would pin it with stitchlock pins where gasket needs to seal @ combustion chamber stitch away from chamber for apron. 1/4-3/8 in. Don’t over tighten pins cut of with ziz wheel the carefully hand file down smooth to deck level the fill rest with epoxy.
Good luck.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #29
Ronnie

Unless you are an accomplished weldor the sucess rate is very slim.The welds usually produce hard spots in cast.That refuse anything but grinding. I would try this first no real after effects with this.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/highheat-epoxy-putty

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #30
tubman

I believe the JB High Heat product "Ronnie" suggested above is what I used with success. I also agree that the less "trauma" you subject the block to, the better off you are.

I seem to remember that it was a little difficult to work with.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #31
Russ/40

Lots of potential solutions here, good discussion. My rationale for what I would not due, strictly based on my own experiences.
Mig welding cools too fast, gets too hard, and has significant potential for more damage.
Silver solder, easy to do, but too difficult to control the cooling rate, raising the specter of more cracks.
Brazing, like silver solder, but with less heat, best for forgings, but again cracks risk is high in cast iron.
JB weld, slow set, I have used many times, to repair heads that have excessive pitting around water holes. Works great and with lasting results. I have never tried it in the combustion chamber, so I have no basis to evaluate.
Superior epoxies, many I have no experience with. JB high heat the putty stuff, worries me as I don't see where it gets enough penetrating into pores to get a good tooth on the material, especially when the application is very small and thin.
Cast iron stitching pins, actually not that difficult. I have practiced on scrap model A blocks, and you would be surprised the small thickness that can be pinned.

Last edited by Russ/40; 04-08-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #32
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Lots of potential solutions here, good discussion. My rationale for what I would not due, strictly based on my own experiences.
Mig welding cools too fast, gets too hard, and has significant potential for more damage.
Silver solder, easy to do, but too difficult to control the cooling rate, raising the specter of more cracks.
Brazing, like silver solder, but with less heat, best for forgings, but again cracks risk is high in cast iron.
JB weld, slow set, I have used many times, to repair heads that have excessive pitting around water holes. Works great and with lasting results. I have never tried it in the combustion chamber, so I have no basis to evaluate.
Superior epoxies, many I have no experience with. JB high heat the putty stuff, worries me as I don't see where it gets enough penetrating into pores to get a good tooth on the material, especially when the application is very small and thin.
Cast iron stitching pins, actually not that difficult. I have practiced on scrap model A blocks, and you would be surprised the small thickness that can be pinned.
Where would I purchase pins?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #33
KiWinUS

eBay. A200x1/2 10 for $11. That’s a deal. I’m not connected in any way. You will need a drill bit & a tap & you in business.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #34
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
eBay. A200x1/2 10 for $11. That’s a deal. I’m not connected in any way. You will need a drill bit & a tap & you in business.
What do you search?
Old 04-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #35
Russ/40

Google Search metal stitching. I would not reccomend making your block your first attempt. It does take some experience regarding drill size, tap depth, and pin depth. Pins are tapered like the tap. You can accomodate different hole sizes with one tap size, and accomodate different tapped hole sizes with the same size pin. Deeper the pin goes the hole must be larger. Google metal stitching and you will find some vendors have video tutorials.

I bought a setup on ebay from Pioneer with 100 pins two drills and the tap. #TP.235-27NS
If you save the pins used on smaller holes, they can be used on bigger holes, so they don't get wasted.

Last edited by Russ/40; 04-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #36
Charlie ny
BANNED

With great success I've used JB weld for radiators, available at NAPA. This stuff sets up like iron. I spot glass beaded 2 EAB heads on my 286 stroker ,60 grit paper and a sanding block cleaned things up after a 2 day set. My gouges were inflicted by me chambering
the heads.

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #37
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would sure try the filler before I started welding or drilling holes in my block! Reread post #21, #29, #30 & 36. You really have nothing to loose trying it except maybe a head gasket.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-08-2021 at 07:51 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #38
tubman

I know I wouldn't be drilling holes in a block that could be repaired with epoxy! Or welding on it, for that matter. Modern day epoxies are amazing. There are more glued joints than welded joints on cars today.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #39
Jack E/NJ

tubman>>> I wouldn't be drilling holes in a block that could be repaired with epoxy!>>>

You seem ike the type who also wouldn't use a reciprocating saw, cold chisel, or cut-off wheel to remove pieces of stuck head gasket. So what would you recommend for those who seal gaskets with glue instead of grease? 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #40
Dodge

How deep is the gouge? Maybe have the block decked.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote