Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
pete rose

Default Inforation on Robert ( Bob ) Gruber

I'm looking for information on Bob Gruber of the Seattle area.
I have lost touch with him quite some time ago and wonder if any one knows of him and can help me . We became friends on email then he stopped answering.
He had a couple of 40 Fords, some earlier T's and built his own planes which he flew up and down the west coast, specifically to Alaska and SoCal, I believe
Any info appreciated
Hope it's not what I think
Pete
pete rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Inforation on Robert ( Bob ) Gruber

I checked the 2020 and 2010 V8 rosters. No Bob Gruber in Washington State.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

This is the "Bob G" that you're looking for. It's obvious that he hasn't fired-up FordBarn in almost one year. I remember Bob's Cessna 170 being used in 25 episodes of "Northern Exposure". Bob lived in the Spanaway area which is south of Tacoma. DD

About Bob G/Spanaway
Location Spanaway, Washington Occupation Retired Tool & Die Maker Interests Airplanes, Old Cars

OH NO, FOLKS!! UPDATE...……!!

I just did a little snooping. Bob's last post on the 'Barn was on April 27, 2019. I've found this obituary for Robert Gruber dated May 1st, 2019. Apparently he lost control of his motorcycle and collided with a logging truck. Bob didn't make it! Bob was a very interesting guy. Sorry to be the one finding this awful information. Life is too short! Rest in peace, Bob! Click the link below. DD

https://dispatchnews.com/Content/New...sh/26/337/4258

…….

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 04-11-2020 at 02:42 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Mart

That;s a shame i remember the Bob G/Spanaway moniker.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
pete rose

Thanks V8Coopman.
Not the news I had hoped for.
RIP Bob

Pete
pete rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #6
Shotrod

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I know this is a really old thread but when trying to find Bob's wife's obituary I ran across this. Just wanted to share a couple pictures and comments. I knew them both and they were both characters. Joanne a bit more than him, he had to keep up somehow. The last pic I took was him by his '24 waiting to do the new years day car cruise. His wife had passed a year earlier i think it was. He was just getting back to himself again when in the accident a few months after this.

Wanted to share a funny little story on this last cruise. They give you a paper with directions written out on the route and we all end up at a local eatery. Some times more scenic routes than others when missing a turn or something. I have only been in the area a few years but I love exploring back roads. This occasion it served me well. All the cars were going up to the stop sign and turning around and going back like they missed a turn somewhere. When i got to the stop i see the name of the road but the name is different than our paper. But i'm thinking this looks like the road that is listed so i turn left like it said, regardless of what the road says it is. I then notice Gruber sitting along side the road. I get there and ask him if he's broke down. He says no, just sitting here waiting on someone to come this way. Seen at least 15 cars turn around and go back the other direction! To think, he says, most of these people grew up here and here you're the only one that makes it! We had a good laugh. The road name changes right where the stop sign is and evidently someone ran off with the one that has the name on the paper on it!

No idea what happened that day, the road does have some corners but not much where the accident was. We, the people that knew them both decided that because he found a lady to pal around with that his wife must of stuck a stick in the spokes or something and said now we will have none of this! We could all seeing her do just that. They were both good people.

I included a pic of their 1914 boattail and the '24 t and the little buick converible behind the boattail car was hers.

Sorry bout digging this back up but I couldn't leave without some comments.

I started out looking to see when the northern exposure plane they had crashed. Still looking on that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00140.jpg (116.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Gruber24T.jpg (87.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 1915boattail1.jpg (90.6 KB, 40 views)
Shotrod is offline   Reply With Quote