Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #41
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Merc;
I have a question:
If your car is 12 volts, would it be possible to somehow hook up a USB cable so that the
I-Pod could then be charged as it's operating?
Thanks
Jim
You can do it with either 12 volts or 6 volts. I think the key here is that they have a plastic housing so no issues regarding mounting or shorting to a ground.

Check out this post: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200502

E-bay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...sacat=0&_oac=1

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 08-09-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #42
flatmotor40

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

I use a motorcycle amp and 2 speakers behind the dash grille to rum my mp3 player for music.
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #43
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'm no electronics expert, but I'd really double check the voltage going to the USB for charging. Most tubes (I think Ford used one 6V6 power tube in their radios) use high plate voltages in order to heat the tube.

Most IPods, IPhones, etc. use very little and I'd assume these units could get fried easily if too much juice goes to them. I'd think more of an issue with a car with a generator v. an alternator, but double check everything.
With this in mind, I decided to take the project to the final phase and go bluetooth/airgap (probably a misuse of the term even though the operational range is up to 30'). The little device I have pictured here just plugs into the jack and rather than having a cord between the cell phone, I-pod etc. and the radio jack, it is now wireless (bluetooth). It works great and in the event there is a power surge, the only thing lost is the bluetooth receiver (less than $15.00) and your phone, I-pod etc. is fully protected. The unit is 1" Wide X 2" Tall X 1/4" deep.

I found it on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mpow.jpg (20.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Mpow 1.jpg (19.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Mpow 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 04-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #44
RalphG

Thanks for bringing this subject back up. I still need to try and get my radio in the 52 working. First step, find a speaker to hook up and test!
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #45
Tim Ayers

Merc Cruizer.

Awesome idea and that seems to be the way to go. Really clever work!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #46
big job

15 dollars or so Home Depot black box with magnats. I am 6vt pos grd. so, tube am
radios that work are $$$$ I have radio delete on my 46 this sticks there. So I put on
Pandora on my phone and get it all. And you use your phone charger on this too. It
has volume + and - controls on the top. got good bass treble full sound for 15 bucks.
also I get a phone call it comes out the speaker like this new vichicles do.....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #47
Merc Cruzer

I know it has been awhile since the last post, but with the acquisition of a GoPro 3+Black camera, I did this video to serve as the demonstration of: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4-Dk_fFOo
Old 05-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #48
5lugnuts

You could connect your Bluetooth phone to a Bluetooth speaker mounted in the speaker grill or some other place. This would eliminate cutting into the radio in your car. Some Bluetooth speakers have a rechargeable battery that charges from a usb cable that you might plug into a computer. Anything that charges with a usb cable is usually 5 volts. This includes gps and phones that can be charged in a car through a cigarette lighter type plug. That plug lowers 12 and 6 volts to 5 volts for charging gps and phones. I use my gps and phone in a six volt car by plugging into a cigarette lighter type plug with the cables that came with those devices and were intended to be charged in a 6 or 12 volt car so it does work.

The Bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries and usb cables are worth investigating as your phone and Bluetooth speaker could be powered by your car battery while driving. Bluetooth speakers can be 10 watts or more and have bass and other controls including answering your phone.

IMPORTANT … Wire the cigarette lighter type plug as negative ground not positive ground. This just means putting the wires backwards if your car is positive ground.

Last edited by 5lugnuts; 05-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #49
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
I use a motorcycle amp and 2 speakers behind the dash grille to rum my mp3 player for music.

How do you control the volume? On your MP3 player -- or via a rheostat between the amp and speakers?

I don't have a radio in my '35 so I'm looking for an amp I could install that's bluetooth-ready. This amp, the speakers, and a volume control knob would be permanently installed in the car. I'd throw my iPod on the seat, pick a playlist, and go...

Having the volume control by a knob under the dash seems like it would be a lot easier/safer than trying to turn the volume down on the iPod itself.

Anyone seen a set-up like this?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lugnuts View Post
You could connect your Bluetooth phone to a Bluetooth speaker mounted in the speaker grill or some other place. This would eliminate cutting into the radio in your car. Some Bluetooth speakers have a rechargeable battery that charges from a usb cable that you might plug into a computer. Anything that charges with a usb cable is usually 5 volts. This includes gps and phones that can be charged in a car through a cigarette lighter type plug. That plug lowers 12 and 6 volts to 5 volts for charging gps and phones. I use my gps and phone in a six volt car by plugging into a cigarette lighter type plug with the cables that came with those devices and were intended to be charged in a 6 or 12 volt car so it does work.

The Bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries and usb cables are worth investigating as your phone and Bluetooth speaker could be powered by your car battery while driving. Bluetooth speakers can be 10 watts or more and have bass and other controls including answering your phone.

IMPORTANT … Wire the cigarette lighter type plug as negative ground not positive ground. This just means putting the wires backwards if your car is positive ground.

5lugnuts,

I have attached a picture of the cigarette/cigar lighter in a 1953 Mercury, with a positive ground 6 volt system. The unit is grounded to the body when it is installed, with a single hot lead attached to the back. Therefor, to just switch the wires to make it work with a new USB adapter, does appear to be an option in this instance.

When I converted the radio, I too was looking for a 5.2 volt USB outlet to install in the car. Maybe not the best of solutions, but this thread covers that project. There is a discussion on cigars lighters installed in the Model A's in 29', maybe this will be of some assistance:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ing+cell+phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9402.jpg (25.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9403 -1 arrow.jpg (62.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-20-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #51
Alecwhankins

Super helpful thank you!
Alecwhankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #52
Merc Cruzer

Glad to hear it worked for you. Anything I should change to make it easier? Mine still works, and it has now been 6 years.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 08-03-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 AM   #53
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
How do you control the volume? On your MP3 player -- or via a rheostat between the amp and speakers?

I don't have a radio in my '35 so I'm looking for an amp I could install that's bluetooth-ready. This amp, the speakers, and a volume control knob would be permanently installed in the car. I'd throw my iPod on the seat, pick a playlist, and go...

Having the volume control by a knob under the dash seems like it would be a lot easier/safer than trying to turn the volume down on the iPod itself.

Anyone seen a set-up like this?
I put something together like this on my 41 (I'm running 12v) because I wanted to be able to control the sounds from the faceplate.
I had a spare radio chassis and installed an amp and speakers inside. The amp had volume, treble and bass controls on board. I removed the rotary controls (trimpots) from the circuit board and used 6 core hookup wire to allow remote rotary controls to be used. These were then fitted to the faceplate. It was fiddly, but I can turn the volume up or down to suit the situation.

Sound is from a MP3 player on the seat. The sound is OK, but nothing earth shattering. But then, there is a rumbling flattie on duals and convertible road noise to consider, so I'm happy.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #54
Merc Cruzer

The one thing I liked about this is, you have three ways to increase/control the volume.

1. increase the volume on the phone

2. increase the volume on the MPOW

3. increase the volume on the radio with the volume control knob.

So volume has never been a problem with this modification.

Wish I had a radio out of of a 41', just to see if I could duplicate this on that. Bottom line, there is a million ways to accomplish this. It is always interesting to see how someone else did it. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #55
fortyonerag

If I did it again, I'd consider a 'name brand' auto amp with a bit more power and modify one of these to give me faceplate controls for volume and bass. Have to wing it with the treble I guess....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37307422...Cclp%3A2047675
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #56
Merc Cruzer

Good solution.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #57
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I know it has been awhile since the last post, but with the acquisition of a GoPro 3+Black camera, I did this video to serve as the demonstration of: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4-Dk_fFOo
That is so cool!
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #58
Merc Cruzer

Thank you.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #59
itchy

Pretty nifty.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #60
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Pretty nifty.
Let me know if you have any questions.