Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Seized 59AB Engine - Solutions

Yah know, normally I would NOT screw around with a rusted hulk that had the heads off of it and was siting outside for years. But when I see the 'BBQ' method - just makes me want to try it! Who knows, may have to pickup a rusted hulk out West and see what happens. You can bet I'll have my oxy/acet "flame wrench" and bolt cutters waiting to "help it along" if needed!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 05-04-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
26 lakes

Make sure you use "Mineral Spirits". It has a very low flash on ignition. I have five blocks I am working on right now.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #23
26 lakes

Yah know, normally I would NOT screw around with a rusted hulk that had the heads off of it and was siting outside for years. But when I see the 'BBQ' method - just makes me want to try it! Who knows, may have to pickup a rusted hulk out West and see what happens. You can bet I'll have my oxy/acet "flame wrench" and bolt cutters waiting to "help it along" if needed!
Last edited by Bored&Stroked; Today at 12:41 PM.

The barbecue method is like cooking with a crock pot. The" 'll have my oxy/acet "flame wrench" and bolt cutters waiting to "help it along" if needed!" is the microwave method and is overkill. It would probably end up cracking a block. When you burn the cylinders out you can almost lay your hand on the block. Almost. It is enough to move everything, burn off the cylinder walls and slick the walls back up. I use a brass rod that is 3/4" x 14". The pistons slide right out.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #24
RalphM

Careful pounding out pistons! I have an otherwise nice 8BA Block that was given to me because they hit one piston a bit too hard and put a giant hole in the cylinder wall. So now it’s just spare parts.

Hey now there’s an idea! Maybe I can make a barbecue grill out of the block?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Careful pounding out pistons! I have an otherwise nice 8BA Block that was given to me because they hit one piston a bit too hard and put a giant hole in the cylinder wall. So now it’s just spare parts.

Hey now there’s an idea! Maybe I can make a barbecue grill out of the block?
Put steel pistons in it and you have 8 perfect "little hot plates" to cook Sliders on.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #26
Fortunateson

Regarding cracks in th Evan rail, after checking this out I've seen testimony that as long as the crack is only on the rail and not exiting into where the crank is then it can be saved. Drill the ends of the crack, dremel out a bit of a shallow groove, add JB Weld. Mart even stated that he welded his up using and old arc welder I believe. And then there is a fellow in Finland that used block cement in the area just above that part of the block to stabilize it. H&H apparently also does something similar. Comments?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #27
Mart

I did weld up a small crack on the actual gasket surface of the pan rail. Successfully one would presume as that motor is currently the one running without problem in the 41 pu.
the other motor I have is scrap due to much more extensive cracking on the inside surface (as you say, where the crank is). The central web also has a crack across it and a pronounced step in the machined surface showing how much it has moved.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #28
Rodrelic

Never know. I had a 59 given to me, was a irrigation pump motor that was traded in on a re-man and never used, got rained in, block broke. I had to sawzall the pistons to get them out. Saved a new crank, rods, cam & lifters.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote