Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Original Muffler?

I have the opportunity to buy a supposedly NOS muffler but I am not sure if it is even original or not. It has numbers and letters on the actual muffler part that are embossed and also has the remnants of a paper tag.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Original Muffler?

Even service period NOS may be more properly termed "After Market Replacement."

Ford made available MANY parts for the Model A and for LONG after production of the car had ceased. One wonders if this might be one of them?

As such it has "cache' in the marketplace - but may in fact be a MINUS to a car destined for Judging.

Similarly, Ford offered as replacement carburetors the Tillotson X - that carburetor on a Judged Car would be a death knell. Well, maybe not that bad considering the scoring system but can you really take a 480 point car serious with a "replacement" carburetor?

I might pay up to today's current market value for a non-stainless muffler from a high end producer - and that only if the muffler looks like a Model A Muffler should. One imagines there were a lot of Midas Clones RMCSOs (round muffler cylinder shaped objects) sold in Ford Garages towards the end of service capability (i.e. like 1950s) and these might even be stamped and numbered and have the red and white tag?

For every object for sale there is a buyer at best price - and even a few at less than best price - as evidenced by Ebay.

Don't know your use or a future buyer's valuation. Some view the red tags as a "must have" for their reproduction Ford Service Garage. The red tags ARE available repop for just this purpose.

I've even bought a few red tags. But more for identifying parts my widow will have to sell when I am gone.

Joe K
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
chrs1961815

Its got a red band around the muffler and a yellow tag with numbers around the tailpipe. Not doing a shoq point car, or need a muffler right now, but it is so cheap I was thinking of buying it.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Joe K

Sounding like a RMCSO you can't pass up! You can add a manila tag to it (it already has the red tag) describing what you think it is and what you paid for it for your widow's later reference.

Sorry - not implying anything except Model A Parts expand to fill available space. And what to we do with them when we are done with them?

This spoken by an aficionado with 100 percent of the first car spread out over the inside of the barn, 50 percent of the second up in the loft, 40 percent of the third next to it, and a WHOLE bunch of parts that were too good a buy to pass up or gifts from friends cleaning out their own barns.

Wife rolls her eyes when I disappear on a Saturday afternoon after I have examined Craigslist.

Joe K
Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
chrs1961815

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Joe. Right now my 55 Chevy is apart in my garage on shelves so no shelf space. Good thing the body is at the shop. After I put it back together all my Model A stuff is going to take up the shelves. At this rate I will have to build a barn in the future...