Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
JOHN CT

Default Seat belts ?

Can I install retractable seat belts in my 31 tudor? If so what type? And how can it be done? Sorry for all of the questions. But this is the only place I can get my question answered. There's no one in our club that has installed any.

Last edited by JOHN CT; 01-31-2016 at 07:39 PM.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: Seat belts ?

The problem will be to find anything strong enough to hold the belts. The main thing is to not get thrown out of the car as the door latches aren't the best. I haven't installed any but have been thinking about it after hearing about some of the wrecks.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Gary WA

How to Restore Your Model A- Vol6-pg51 and vol8-pg119 has some info on seat belt installations. Don't know if there is room for the re-tractors.But standard lap belts can be done. Also in the"Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook VolII" Green book by Les Andrews excellant article on Seat Belt installations on various Model A's. More: Restorer M/J 1993 pg25 and S/O 2005 pg 12 lap and harness type. Good Luck.

Last edited by Gary WA; 01-31-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Synchro909

I've installed seat belts in all seating positions but not retracting ones. I couldn't find a way of doing it satisfactorily. I put lap belts in for all of the passengers and a racing harness type for the driver so he (I) doesn't get impaled on the steering column. The harness one is a bit of a nuisance to put on (a small price to pay) but I think would work well should the disastrous happen. Installation was easy.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I have a set of seat belt retractors similar to these ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webbing-Retr...VUotm-&vxp=mtr) to keep my unruly seat belts in my Town Sedan under control... Two in front, three in back.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-31-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
holdover

attached my belts to a piece if 2 X 2 1/4" angle mounted below the cab. as to retractors there was a set in common use in the 60s and if you search ebay you will see them but a used one costs 20+ here is one on ebay that should work for 1/2 that price..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webbing-Retr...VUotm-&vxp=mtr
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
How to Restore Your Model A- Vol6-pg51 and vol8-pg119 has some info on seat belt installations. Don't know if there is room for the re-tractors.But standard lap belts can be done. Also in the"Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook VolII" Green book by Les Andrews excellant article on Seat Belt installations on various Model A's. More: Restorer M/J 1993 pg25 and S/O 2005 pg 12 lap and harness type. Good Luck.
Thanks Gary WA. I found the articles in less Andrews green book. That's a big help.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Clem Clement

Remember those retractors that Pep Boys used to sell? They work sorta good. I see them on eBay
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
armchair67

I installed seat belts front and rear in my car, but lap belts only. I would love to install 3 point retractables, but it seems to me that the only way to do it so they would actually function in a crash, would be to have a close fitting roll bar made and installed.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Lona

John,
Google or do a forum search on "retractable 3 point seat belts in a sedan". That post from 2/2/15 should give you some ideas on how it can be done. PM me if I can help with further info.
Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
Jon

Try Juliano's - www.Julianos.com for retractable seat belts. I got the idea for how to install them in my Tudor from a Fordbarner. Forgot his name and haven't seen any of his posts lately.
I'll try and post some pictures so you get an idea of how they were installed. I installed regular lap belts and then replaced them with the retractable ones. I wouldn't even consider the non retractable belts. They are always in the way.
I installed a piece of steel into the channel that supports the floor directly behind the front seats and under the floor. In the pictures you can see there is an offset on each end. That puts the ends right at a body to frame bolt. These are tight to get to but it can be done.
I later installed different seats and from the one picture you can see how the retractor sits at the back corner of the seat. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4060016 - Copy.jpg (30.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg P4060019 - Copy.JPG (80.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg P4070020 - Copy.JPG (113.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P4070021 - Copy.JPG (111.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg p4070022 - Copy.jpg (36.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 003 - Copy.JPG (86.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 018 - Copy.JPG (165.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
ModAfan

Hi, John,

I installed the belts in the photo in my 1928 Tudor last year. They are secured to a channel under the floor, just behind the front seats. I opted for 4-point belts because the front seats in the ’28 Tudor are quite heavy and hinged at the front. I thought the combination of seat belt and shoulder straps might keep the seats from going too far forward, keep me from being thrown out of the car and keep me from being impaled too deeply on the steering column in a front end collision. I also put two layers of heavy rubber “washers” under the rectangular plates the bolts are secured to within the channel.
All of those assumptions may be dead wrong, but that’s what I did and I’m happy I did it – it makes me feel safe, anyway.
I ordered them from this place: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatbelts.jpg (46.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg anchor.jpg (62.2 KB, 51 views)
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
barkleydave

Julianos is where I got my belts. Good service and nice product. They have retractors available for one side. (keeps belt from falling out of the door) I especially like their backing plates. By far the best available. They are rectangular shaped with and are designed to distribute the load over a wide area of the pan.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
JOHN CT

Thanks to all of the FB for all of your help! Still the best place for information!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModAfan View Post
Hi, John,

I installed the belts in the photo in my 1928 Tudor last year. They are secured to a channel under the floor, just behind the front seats. I opted for 4-point belts because the front seats in the ’28 Tudor are quite heavy and hinged at the front. I thought the combination of seat belt and shoulder straps might keep the seats from going too far forward, keep me from being thrown out of the car and keep me from being impaled too deeply on the steering column in a front end collision. I also put two layers of heavy rubber “washers” under the rectangular plates the bolts are secured to within the channel.
All of those assumptions may be dead wrong, but that’s what I did and I’m happy I did it – it makes me feel safe, anyway.
I ordered them from this place: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html
some kind of seatbelt is better than no seatbelt in a crash. even if the bolts tear or bend out its that much less force of you hitting something inside.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
mhsprecher

I second the Juliano's anchors. I got some with the retractable belts for my 39 sedan. As said earlier, fantastic people to work with.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
barkleydave

I ordered the add-on belt retractors from Juliano's . One for each outboard belt. Tired of them falling out the door. 27.00 incl. shipping.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote