Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Correct location of tire logo on a 30-31 19" Rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
Wow, Mitch... I just read the link on DynaBeads. They sound great, if you need them. It looks like they are actually put IN THE TUBE, removing the valve core, and ALSO put (preferably) OUTSIDE THE TUBE before mounting the second tire bead. Is this correct? Have you used them? Or seen results?
I never needed to balance a model A tire yet using beads or rim weights for me or anyone else.. So no i never used them..many members on here have used them try doing a search on the barn also...if you have true wheels, good shocks, steering, suspension, true brake drums etc many may find there is no need for balancing.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-22-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #22
Kevin in NJ

Let us learn about Google.

Look up the tire dots and you will find the different colors have different meanings. I got 5 tires with 4 different color dots. What they actually mean I am not sure. I did find a reference for another company where the dots can mean balance, out of round and a couple of other things.

I ignored all of that and put everything together on the wheel and mounted each on a hub with lightly oild bearings. I let the wheel find its heavy spot and observed how fast it found it. Then I move the tire with respect to the rim and tried again. When I found the place where the wheel moved the slowest to heavy I left it there. I put the 2 fastest on the rear and the 2 slowest on the front.

I am not doing a show car so I do not care about where the logo's go. Just trying my best to work with what I got in a smart way.

I have the Goodyear tires and they were all dead on for roundness.

Right or wrong? It is what I did.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #23
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
For "standards"

Does the Firestone (or other manufacture logo), go above the valve stem or - the "Gum Dipped" signature go there.

Ready to mount up 5 new Firestones on my touring car and would like your input -

Thanks -

Chris -

SHEC
Makes no difference where the "logo" is located...I do not think Ford cared where it was located in relation to the tire stem/air valve as long as the tire was put on the wheel and sent down the line.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

The little colored dots DON'T MEAN CRAP! Installer was putting new GENERAL tires on my Maxima, made eye contact as he was about to put on an 8" weight, shook my head NO! He ripped it off the wheel & got a different tire.
Bill W.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #25
Cape Codder

reggiedog - PM sent.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #26
SHEC

WOW -

Thank you for the quick replies and input. What a response!

FYI - I went with the "good look" and mounted the tires with the Firestone logo directly above and centered over the valve stems. It came down to a personal preference and man what a difference the new tires make over the Wards Riverside they replaced.

The Riverside tires provided excellent service and still show a lot of tread with hardly any cracking. Bare in mind I put those on new in 1979 and the car has been driven regularly the key, (I believe), it is garage kept and out of the sun.................

Size wise, the Firestones stand about an inch and a quarter taller than the Wards - with a slightly wider width that did change the ride quality for the better. Ironically the car was delivered new with Firestones when built in SFA in 1930.

Thanks one and all -

Be well -

Chris

SHEC

PS - I may have 4 good Wards Riversides available for someone(?) I kept one mounted on a back up rim...............
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
Joop

A little late maybe
Ford wanted the valve stem pointed towards the Ford scripted hubcap.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-1130-C.jpg (63.6 KB, 68 views)
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The question really becomes what do the judges look at? Mitch said line it with the stem and hub cap with the stem as well.

I know you did not ask but here is some additional information for you,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire logo 004.jpg (66.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 05:33 AM   #29
31 RPU

When buying a new tire for your daily driver, as a rule of thumb, how much weight is too much weight to get a tire balanced?
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #30
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 RPU View Post
When buying a new tire for your daily driver, as a rule of thumb, how much weight is too much weight to get a tire balanced?
How are you planning to balance them? Different methods and different types of computer balancers will call for more or less weight to balance the same wheel and tire. So using a machine like a hunter smart weight your overall amount of weight is greatly reduced. Go to a shop that has this balancer it calculates differently than all other machines on the market. As I mentioned before I have not needed to balance any model A wheels...
http://www.weightsaver.com/smartweig...ghtsaver02.htm
Here is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (57.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The question really becomes what do the judges look at? Mitch said line it with the stem and hub cap with the stem as well.

I know you did not ask but here is some additional information for you,
At the AACA meets they did look for that. So as an example say looking at the spare tire.
Mount the spare to the car with the valve stem pointing down at 12:00, the goodyear / Firestone centered above it and the FORD on the hubcap horizontal with the words upright.

Do all the tires the same way.. If your already mounted you can jack up the wheel, remove the air, then spin the tire to index it without taking it off. The tube will stay put but I go a little past the centering point then back the other way to take any stress off the tube from spinning the tire.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #32
Bader

The logo is centered on the stem,when the wheel hangs on the spare tire mount,the logo,the cap can be easily read. If you notice on a deuce to 35 wire wheel there is a small hole by the mounting bolts,opposite the stem,that is a drain so that when it is hanging on the rear mount any water that gets past the cap will drain out.the stem is put at the top so if the tire is flat it won't fill with rain water. This is directly from the service bulletins.
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #33
31 RPU

My question was about modern cars. What weight would be unacceptable to bring a tire in balance? I have heard people in the past day "if they have to add more than such and such weights to balance a tire I don't want the tire"
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #34
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 RPU View Post
My question was about modern cars. What weight would be unacceptable to bring a tire in balance? I have heard people in the past day "if they have to add more than such and such weights to balance a tire I don't want the tire"
I answered your question above... There is no set amount but if you find its more to your liking the rim / tire or equipment needs to be looked at.
I get many rims with a wobble and the hunter smart weight machine calls for way less than the others. I'm talking where 1.5 oz vs 4.0 balanced it
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #35
Bob Bidonde

You can't be serious re the logo location. In my opinion, there is no way that Ford wheel assemblers made any attempt to index the logo.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #36
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
You can't be serious re the logo location. In my opinion, there is no way that Ford wheel assemblers made any attempt to index the logo.
You are absolutely correct ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
Joop

see factory picture #23
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #38
SHEC

So - on another note but the same loop.................!

How do you keep your hubcaps from spinning or rattling on the rim? Bend the tabs, a spot of clear silicone, or? What works for you folks?

Thanks again -

Chris

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #39
mhsprecher

I read something decades ago that Ford was very particular about the valve stems and hubcaps. Maybe the tire logo, too. Probably something from The Restorer. That may be outdated info. I would rely on the judging stds.

To me, it is one of those details that makes for a job. Toss a coin between the JS and hat you like.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
Cape Codder

SHEC - I had a horrible experience installing my hub caps. I used what I thought was the ultimate "Special"? tool to bend the tabs. In the process I lost a total of four hub caps. The end result was to still use the 'Special" tool to bend five of the tabs on each hub cap. I then put a very small amount of silicone around the edge of each cap. After installing the cap in this fashion I bent the remaining five tabs from the back all the way down. I have now driven in excess of 2,500 miles with no problems. Extra work but I am now happy with the results. Hope this helps in your decision.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote