Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
ratamahata

Default Model "A" possible engine modifications?

Hi I wonder if it's worth placing a 1932-1934 cylinder head on my A block, I'm trying to get some more power without spending much money, Model B head is something easy to get in my country. Really worth the effort? and what about the head gasket?
Also let me know if I can put a model B camshaft for the same purpose.

Thanks Leandro
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Jordan

Default Re: Model "A" possible engine modifications?

Best bet would be to buy a snyders high comp head. It's new so you don't have to worry about any cracks or it being warped.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Logan

The model B head with the C casted in the top of it is not worth the effort of changing. It's barely any higher of a compression. The model a "police heads" with the letter B stamped in the top of it is worth changing over to though. I think they're at a 5.2:1 compression ratio. But in my opinion, the best head that you could put on one is the brand new snyders heads. They're about $300. They sell the 5.5:1 ratio and the 6.0:1 ratio. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two performance wise, but if you have a motor that you don't know anything about or how long since it's last rebuild, I would go with the 5.5:1 just to be easier on the motor. Neither one should cause catastrophic engine failure, but the 5.5 will be easier on the bearings. As far as a camshaft is concerned, it's worth it to swap it out, if you are already planning on tearing into the motor. You may look at some other cam shafts besides a B though. There are quite a few people out there doing custom grinds for camshafts. One of the most known is bill stipe. You can google him and find his website. He has lots of different choices of camshafts to choose from that will give you more torque than a B cam would. And they're only like $125 maybe $150 (i think) if you send him a good camshaft as an exchange. Although bill did not do the camshaft in my brothers motor, it is what I would consider to be a really good street drivable cam. It idles a little differently than a stock A, but has some real torque behind it. It's what could be considered a 1/2 race camshaft. Ron Kelly is who designed the grind for that camshaft. The motor I just put together for my coupe has a full race cam in it. It does not idle at all like an A. It's got a real beefy lope to it, but creates great torque at higher rpms. There's a lot of different choices you can look at for cams, it all just boils down to what kind of driving you would want to do.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Dave in MN

Leondro,
A greater lift on the cam requires the use of tappets with a larger base diameter. If you replace the cam with anything close to a B grind, you will need to install tappets with a base of about 1.12" ...which is the size of the single lock tappets I have on my shelf. Many of the early double lock adjustable tappets were only .950" at the base (where the cam contacted) and this is not large enough. If you contact Bill Stipe as suggested...he will tell you what the minimum size should be.

Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

"I'm trying to get some more power without spending much money,"

Speed and money go together, more speed = more money, how fast do you want to go?

I'm serious, of course a B head is more compression but add the price of a new water pump and is it really worth it for only 4.6:1? Snyders has high compression heads (6.1:1), engine builders can create an engine for you that will exceed 100 MPH, all you need is money.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've run the C head and can notice an improvement. acording to the dyno tests that I have seen, the C head installed on an otherwise stock model A engine gives near a seven horsepower increase. If the B cam, intake manifold and carb is used in conjunction with the C head, you will gain near 10 extra horses. Of course a new head with higher compression will help more. I'm a po country boy and i've seen the time that I couldn't afford a new head. I could really appreciate the extra power that the C head gave. Free flowing exhaust as in gutted muffler and a hot coil will also make a difference.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-24-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Cheap speed is hard to find, Try these. If you can get a Mod B head and waterpump fairly cheap , get it! Then take it to a local Machine shop that grinds head and have them grind about one millimeter (.040") off. Yes you can buy a new head, but I think the import taxes and shipping make it cost a lot more than $300. Your choice.
Next. Get a B carburetor. Take the A manifold to the Machine shop and have the intake side of it drilled out with a 31 MM or 31.5 drill. (1.250-260) Polish these surfaces and the intakes and exhaust. Install the Mod B carburetor. And install the Mod B cam and put on an aluminum timing gear. These things should be bought locally. Make sure all the valves etc are in good shape and are gapped correctly.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Jim Brierley

Higher compression and a bigger carb are the 2 quickest and easiest way to more HP. If you can get the C head milled, it would help even more than as-stock. A cam will help very little unless you do the above first, and is a lot more trouble to do. When you have the head off, check the valve lift to determine in the cam is worn enough to warrant a change. Actual valve lift should be .280", more indicates a B or performance cam, less means it is time for a change.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
ratamahata

Thank, thank all for the education, I was thinking in a weber 32-36 carb and a custom made ​​intake in stainless steel...
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

If you really don't care about the prices, Buy a new Stipe Cam $425 (?) then buy a set of exhaust headers $410 and a head 6.7 -1 CR $ 525 They'll be happy to take your money! I almost forgot the Vortex 2/1 intake manifold $269. Shipping and import duties shouldn't be much. Better get the block punched out too, only $95 for new pistons. And oversize valves adjustable lifters, Hhmmmmm let me see, what else? I think that's it. Yes, They'll be happy to taken your money. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
ratamahata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
If you really don't care about the prices, Buy a new Stipe Cam $425 (?) then buy a set of exhaust headers $410 and a head 6.7 -1 CR $ 525 They'll be happy to take your money! I almost forgot the Vortex 2/1 intake manifold $269. Shipping and import duties shouldn't be much. Better get the block punched out too, only $95 for new pistons. And oversize valves adjustable lifters, Hhmmmmm let me see, what else? I think that's it. Yes, They'll be happy to taken your money. Terry
Ok'll let you know, thank you very much