Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: SMS Auto Fabrics

I only bought fabric from SMS and had no trouble in years past but I've noticed a change within the last 8 years or so. I don't know if they lost a key person in their management or what but they don't stock as much of the material as they used to. They were the only supply for my Mercury projects but they don't have that stuff anymore either.

Times change and unfortunately many times it's for the worse. If they want to make any money at all, they better get on the stick or they will end up just like LB did, overextended, making promises they can't keep, and selling second rate product.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Some years ago SMs had a decent reputation. it all comes down to who is running the company now. Exactly what happened to LB.
LB went bankrupt a few months ago. Liquidation is in progress
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I agree 100%.
This is sad as they are one of two bidding on the remnants of the lebaron business. Unfortunately, the other is Ecklers, and if Pete is correct, we are all in trouble - Ecklers doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation.
Personally, I would have rather seen Eckler's get it.. Eckler's while not the best, as some positives. I have ordered a total of 5 Cartuoche upholstery sets from Cartouche/Ecklers. While the quality was not that of Lebaron Bonney; the turnaround time was quick (3-6 weeks) and ANY issues that arose were fixed in a timely manner.... That's just my experience and others vary..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #24
Tom-MI

Has anyone ever reported their problems with SMS to SMS' State Attorney General? In most states Attorney Generals are empowered to keep an eye out for bad or illegal business activities operating within their State. I can't imagine SMS ignoring them.

Just a thought

Tom
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #25
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Personally, I would have rather seen Eckler's get it.. Eckler's while not the best, as some positives. I have ordered a total of 5 Cartuoche upholstery sets from Cartouche/Ecklers. While the quality was not that of Lebaron Bonney; the turnaround time was quick (3-6 weeks) and ANY issues that arose were fixed in a timely manner.... That's just my experience and others vary..
Folks I work for part time doing repairs and service on Model A’s only, have used Cartouche for years and have had good experiences with them. Granted the quality is different than Labaron Bonney but Cartouche will make attempts to make things right and don’t leave you held up for months at a time. I agree, I’m hoping SMS doesn’t get what left of the LB business.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #26
Deuce-Addict

I have bought NOS material on three occasions from SMS and have to date not had any issues with supply. Always dealt with a chap called Doug who has been pretty helpful. Normally replies to mails promptly so for those awaiting material may be worth putting his name in the subject line.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce-Addict View Post
Always dealt with a chap called Doug who has been pretty helpful. Normally replies to mails promptly so for those awaiting material may be worth putting his name in the subject line.

That almost wreaks of that QUID PRO QUO stuff if you have to beg some particular Doug-dude to do you a favor for something you've already paid dearly for. In fact, that's just downright BS! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
Deuce-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That almost wreaks of that QUID PRO QUO stuff if you have to beg some particular Doug-dude to do you a favor for something you've already paid dearly for. In fact, that's just downright BS! DD
Fair point, perhaps I should delete my thread, I have no connection with them and was only trying to be of help with those struggling to get an answer.

Last edited by Deuce-Addict; 12-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #29
rotorwrench

I'm not sure what Eckler's relationship with Cartouche is. If they own it, they already have a brand that they could improve on. It's listed as a Mac's divisional company. If it is a subcontractor then I can see why they might want LB but I don't know.

Corporate run companies like Eckler's tend to only concentrate on the core business products that make the most profit. LB never offered upholstery for any of the plain mid century Mercs (49-51). They only offered it for the convertibe models which are completely different that the sedans & coupes. They had a decent list of Ford models but there are more of them out there than the Mercs. I'm concerned that any corporate owner would continue that and possible even discontinue some of the original offerings since they weren't big money producers. At least SMS had the materials I needed when I had to sew my own stuff. From what I've seen on their web-site, they no longer offer that material. What happens now is a Big Mystery.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #30
v8fordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce-Addict View Post
I have bought NOS material on three occasions from SMS and have to date not had any issues with supply. Always dealt with a chap called Doug who has been pretty helpful. Normally replies to mails promptly so for those awaiting material may be worth putting his name in the subject line.
Every time I have called, the person on the phone always has to talk to Doug and have him get back with me. I haven't talked to Doug yet and have waited patiently since May. Doug must be one busy guy...especially since their phone message says they have "a high volume of calls" and if you have an inquiry, to send an email. Now I understand why there is such a high volume of calls.

After reading what others have gone through and the BBB reports, I think they must have some serious issues.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #31
35fordtn

V8fordman,
While this topic got off track, My one and only transaction with SMS was for material for a 1955 Ford. After them missing the deadline by 8 weeks it took daily phone calls to annoy them to death to finally get my order in shipment. I sincerely hope they realize by purchasing Lebaron Bonney that their call volume will likely double..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #32
v8fordman

Just an update...As of today, my order has been in place for 14 months and no material has been delivered. Last month (7/23/2020) I requested a refund and received an email message from them that they would "cancel and refund". Still haven't heard from "Doug" either.

I would suggest that anyone who has the idea to purchase from or use SMS in any form or fashion, DON"T!!!!
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #33
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fordman View Post
Just an update...As of today, my order has been in place for 14 months and no material has been delivered. Last month (7/23/2020) I requested a refund and received an email message from them that they would "cancel and refund". Still haven't heard from "Doug" either.

I would suggest that anyone who has the idea to purchase from or use SMS in any form or fashion, DON"T!!!!

I’ve dealt with SMS one time and it was the worse experience I’ve ever had. Avoid SMS at all cost.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #34
Zeke3

Thanks for the update. Sorry that they couldn't deliver for you and the rest of the hobby looking for a replacement for L-B.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #35
54Merc

I paid up front for a complete interior. It took 18 months to get the order complete. I had to threaten going to the BBB before they took me seriously. The carpet was not Taylored to fit around the steering column, even though it was supposed to be a fit for the 54 Merc. They also send a wrong sized package tray and it was not the correct color. They never returned phone calls or made any attempt to satisfy my questions as to why it took so long. By the way they even had a sale after my order as if they were trying to get more orders.
54Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #36
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Merc View Post
I paid up front for a complete interior. It took 18 months to get the order complete. I had to threaten going to the BBB before they took me seriously. The carpet was not Taylored to fit around the steering column, even though it was supposed to be a fit for the 54 Merc. They also send a wrong sized package tray and it was not the correct color. They never returned phone calls or made any attempt to satisfy my questions as to why it took so long. By the way they even had a sale after my order as if they were trying to get more orders.
Sounds like nothing has changed with SMS. They’ll lie and avoid you like the plague once they have your money.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:41 PM   #37
Randy in ca

From their 2022 website:

"If you ever feel you are not getting the service you desire from SMS Auto Fabrics, please feel free to e-mail me personally at [email protected]. I will answer your questions and get back to you as soon as possible."
Doug Pollock, owner

Most of the posts here are more than a couple of years old. Has anyone recently had problems and attempted to contact the owner via email?
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:29 AM   #38
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
From their 2022 website:

"If you ever feel you are not getting the service you desire from SMS Auto Fabrics, please feel free to e-mail me personally at [email protected]. I will answer your questions and get back to you as soon as possible."
Doug Pollock, owner

Most of the posts here are more than a couple of years old. Has anyone recently had problems and attempted to contact the owner via email?
The only way I could get Doug to respond or anyone else for that matter was when I went to their Facebook page and gave them a unfavorable review. A local automotive upholstery shop near me had the same experience when purchasing material from SMS. He said never again !
Old 05-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #39
Branded

Do a Google search on reviews on SMS Auto Fabrics and read all the nightmares others have had with this company.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:39 AM   #40
Ford Freak

Well, I guess I will cross SMS off my list of suplliers! - F F Thanks for the warning, guys!
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote