Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
beerslob

Default 49 ford ground cable

hi , where does the battery ground cable mount to the block on a 49 ford car with v8 I see the threaded hole in the front of the left head but it takes about a 5/16 bolt and the hole in my reproduction cable kit is big enough for a head bolt...should I use that hole with a washer...thanks again...tony
beerslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
beerslob

Default Re: 49 ford ground cable

anybody?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
FortyNiner

Can't speak to the '49 cars but the ground straps on the trucks also had a dedicated bolt. I've not seen the head bolts used by the factory. My experince isn't perfect.

Last edited by FortyNiner; 05-10-2020 at 09:21 PM.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
tubman

OK. I'll take a stab at it. On my '51, there is a braided ground strap from the battery to the tapped hole you mentioned. The ground strap on my car (which is very original) has a hole in it that is just about right for a 5/16" bolt. You probably have an aftermarket generic strap. I did add a smaller braided strap from the rear of the engine to the firewall as insurance, (From my days in the mainframe computer business, I had salvaged a bunch of them.)

I think you can take your choice. If the surfaces are clean, either should work fine. One thing to remember is that on the '49's the oil filter mounted using the head bolts, while on later models there were separate 5/16" bosses to mount it. It could be the same situation with the '49 ground strap.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Frank Miller

The 40 ground strap uses the 5/16 hole. You will need a washer to make yours work but it will work fine. Just make sure the surface below the strap is clean. Also there was a strap from the factory that went from an intake manifold bolt to the firewall.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
beerslob

ok, thanks alot
Old 07-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #7
dakotafarmboy

OK. I need similar help but with a 53 v8. I thought I was having carburetor issues (I still think I am) but now I am not getting any spark so I will begin by solving the spark issue. The cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, and plug wires were all new 4 years ago and the car really has not been driven much.

BUT...My engine has NO ground strap from the rear of the engine to the firewall. It never had one when I pulled it out a few years ago and rebuilt the motor and then it ran fine after I put the motor back in. But now with NO spark, I am starting to question my ground. Also, a very reputable source told me I needed a ground strap from the engine to the firewall so that is my next step...as soon as I figure out where to attach it!

If I do as Tubman states above (attach a ground strap to firewall) do I just make my own attachment point on the firewall?...or is there a stud on the firewall that I am not recognizing as the attachment point for a ground strap? A picture of the attachment point would be helpful if anyone has one.

My (positive) ground from the battery does attach to the front of the block (water pump bolt).

I will also add that I need a complete new wiring harness as it still has the original harness and it is far from perfect. So perhaps there could be some fault in the old harness?

Any comments or ideas would be welcome!
dakotafarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
Ken Henry

I would not assume that lightly used parts are good. In fact, I once replaced the points and condenser and shortly thereafter experienced failure of the condenser. My 51 does not have a ground strap to the firewall so I should probably add one. Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #9
corvette8n

Good idea to replace old wiring, as to ground straps attach them so they are clean, bright and tight. I clean the terminal ends of my ground with Emory paper even if they are new, they sometimes get a film in them laying around for a while.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
dakotafarmboy

Thanks for the advice!

One step forward and two back. I have 6.4 volts at the coil.

Then I proceeded to change out the (4 year old) points and condenser and managed to drop a points hold down screw somewhere in the bowels of the car and still can't find it. Spent an hour looking and it's hiding in the frame or something! Will go the hardware store to see if they have a screw. Any help on size of the points hold down screw? If a standard item, I will buy a handful.

I have also been reading about the points gap and have learned (for the first time in my 62 years) that I should be using a dwell meter to gap the points. Up until today I have been a feeler gauge only guy.

I have a decent Fluke Multi Meter that I am hoping can double as a dwell meter...but it is digital...and I have seen some comment that you can't beat an analog dwell meter.

Will try moving forward again tonight!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:19 PM   #11
dakotafarmboy

Success.

Found the 8/32 screws for points at the hardware store. 12 cents each.

Installed the NAPA Echlin points and condenser. Started right up. I’m assuming it was a bad condenser as Ken suggested. I bought an extra condenser for the glove box.

Thanks Ken!

And Corvette, I will put the new wiring harness on my “to do” list. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #12
Ken Henry

Awesome! Good luck sorting out the carburetor!
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote