Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
fundytides

Default Re-skinned rumble lid

I picked up a re-skinned rumble lid for my 31 roadster. I scrapes on the sides when I close it. Has anybody else run into this when re-skinning a lid? Is so, any suggested solutions or was it just done improperly?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Re-skinned rumble lid

If I were installing a new skin on a rear deck door, I'd check fit with the car several times in the process to make sure something like this wouldn't happen. Now that it is an issue, it will have to be fit to the opening by grinding the edges to get best fit and gaps. It will likely grind through the edge skin that is rolled over so that will have to be welded to restore a proper edge. This may require grinding a bit past the needed fit then building it back up with weld or edge skin as applicable. Finish that out and prep for paint. Make sure the body opening is straight too. They sometimes get tweeked and the drain channel will get tweeked right along with it.

Removing the skin is the other option and refit the skin to the inner door panel but that may take even more metal work. Not a real easy job but it is do-able.

I have one from a 29 that I'm going to have to either reskin or take the skin off to refit due to some big dents in the skin that someone filled with about 1/8" to 3/16" of bondo back in the day. The bondo has all cracked out over the years since.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Tinbasher

Yes, I had the same problem. The a/m skin is about 3/16" to wide conpaired to the original. The thing to do is fit the inner structure to the car and get it gapped well. Then you'll have to cut off one of the sides of the skin. Then grind the edge down to size and weld the side back one. About a days work. Or look for a good original lid. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yes, unfortunately as found in most replacement panels, the deck door skin "as-made" is incorrect. One other thing from what I remember (-we now make our own skin) is the panel needs to be 'wheeled' to put some crown in it which likely accounts for the reason the skin appears to be too wide. Since the edges are flanged and shrunk to create the curve, be careful about grinding the edges or you will overshrink the edge and you will have a mess. That flange defines the correct curvature and needs to match side for side. We have a fixture (-a buck) made of wood that we use to weld the two halves together to keep from warping. This is an important detail or you will have a deck door that rocks unevenly when all four corners are laid on a flat surface.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
fundytides

Thanks guys. I think you have confirmed my worst fear, the skin was installed incorrectly. My original lid fits without scraping so I think the body opening is OK but I will check it when I get home next week. My original lid is rotted out about 6" up at the bottom of both inner and outer panels. Maybe best to repair that. Probably a toss-up whether to do that or fix the re-skinned one.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
Duke

If the skin comes off easy. It might not be too bad to trim off one edge and then weld the end back on. I had to do that with skin I used.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Tinbasher

Yes Brent is correct. The a/m skins are to flat so I can see how it makes it wider. Use the a/m panel to repair your original or rework the one you have. The trunk or rumble lid can be a job to get a good fit, so try to get everything going for you to begin with. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote