Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Mechanical Engineering Senior Project

V8coupeman, do you have a website? Your trans sounds like a something that is really needed in the hobby!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
V8coupeman, do you have a website? Your trans sounds like a something that is really needed in the hobby!
Hey Jim..........No, we do not have a website! You should REALLY read the link below from the V8-side of the house (starting at POST #26) for a fairly-clear picture of how and why my buddy Heard and I brainstormed to come-up with this really clever (yet simple) little piece of equipment.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...mission&page=2

There seems to be more interest from the Model A folks than the V8 guys. The important part is getting this little secret out into the mainstream for those folks with the capability of rebuilding a transmission....nothing hard to do here! The equally-important piece of this puzzle is in realizing just how much latitude is possible in building this CUSTOM, short T5 transmission by utilizing nothing but different (yet compatible) combinations of FACTORY Borg-Warner T5 parts. The U-joint is old Ford, and the clamshell and bearing retainer are familiar old Ford pieces. Only the 23-spline to 6-spline (for the U-joint) adapter and the 1/2" thick aluminum clamshell adapter are custom-made, and anyone capable of laying-out a couple of bolt patterns on that aluminum adapter plate can certainly drill the holes on a drill press. The most-remarkable part is the possibilities when it comes to the different gear ratios that one can custom-assemble using easily-obtainable gearsets from used transmissions. The key is realizing just how adaptable these T5s are, once you learn a little about their BASIC design characteristics. I would also suggest here that for the torque realized with Model As and early V8 Ford flatheads, the T5 NWC (Non World Class) transmissions are certainly more than adequate for the task. Plus, it shifts SOOO sweet! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
Bob Bidonde

Ryan,

For my college project, I reverse engineered the design of the Model A's engine including calculations for kinematics, loads & dynamics, strength & stress sufficient to size the engines reciprocating and rotating parts. I couched the project as a low cost 4-cylinder engine design for industrial applications. My project received a maximum grade because of the diversity of subject matter and technical analyses that went into the design.

I incorporated some design improvements to the Model A's engine such as a pump feed oiling system to the camshaft bearings, wrist pins, rod and main bearings. A fluid dynamics study of how relatively low pressure pumped oil gets into bearings with operating pressures in the thousands of PSIG was fascinating.

In addition, I did an analysis of the engine's thermodynamics, and improved the fluid dynamics of the cooling system to improve waste heat transfer.

The hardest part was the kinematic calculations which when programmed kept showing a jam in the reciprocating motion. It turned out to be a wrong sign convention in my analysis.

I love this stuff!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I agree. I'd like to have a direct bolt in 4 speed overdrive tranny.
I'd even settle for non synchro if it needed to be.
I just don't want to cut, bend, weld, drill or grind any original parts. I'd like to just swap out my tranny or tranny and bellhousing, and bolt in the new unit with the original pedals in the right place and the shift lever close to the original location.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #25
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree. I'd like to have a direct bolt in 4 speed overdrive tranny.
I'd even settle for non synchro if it needed to be.
I just don't want to cut, bend, weld, drill or grind any original parts. I'd like to just swap out my tranny or tranny and bellhousing, and bolt in the new unit with the original pedals in the right place and the shift lever close to the original location.
The transmission kit I bought did not require me to cut, bend, drill or grind any of my original parts. I just swapped out my tranny, bellhousing, U-joint, torque tube/drive shaft & radius rods, and bolted in the new unit using my original pedals & e-brake in the correct place and the shift lever positioned about 1.5 inches aft of where the original was. 4-speed with 4th as 27% OD, all synchromesh.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote