Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Default Rear Spring?

Anyone ever remove a leaf or more in their rear spring for a smoother ride ?
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: Rear Spring?

Yes, many have, including for speedsters which are lighter, use the search bar (in the black bar) above, many hits you will receive.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

Please listen to what I say. Buy a good spreader for the spring. THE SPRING CAN KILL YOU! Look for posts involved on spring work and be very carefull. Others will help you!
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
Please listen to what I say. Buy a good spreader for the spring. THE SPRING CAN KILL YOU! Look for posts involved on spring work and be very carefull. Others will help you!
Thanks but;
I have already removed and reinstalled my rear spring, sanded and painted it a few months ago, my question is not about removing it, I just want to know if anyone has removed any leafs for a better ride.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
glenn in camino

Yes, I made an eight leaf out of a ten leaf that was in my 31 sport coupe. The stance looks better and it rides good. I've never had anyone in my rumble seat. It might be too soft.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Per the very excellent and most thoughtful Warning mentioned in reply no. 3 and no. 4:

Every single time we see "rear spring" in a rear spring question or comment, at least we "all" can agree how thoughtful it is to warn any uninformed person of the dangers when dismantling a Model A rear spring, or even a front spring.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
Yes, I made an eight leaf out of a ten leaf that was in my 31 sport coupe. The stance looks better and it rides good. I've never had anyone in my rumble seat. It might be too soft.
I thought all Coupes had only 8?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
Bruce,Upstate NY

I put a coupe spring under my pickup. Perfect!
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
which 2 leafs did you remove?
Old 03-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
J Witt

Here's a link to my recent post about this:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ht=rear+spring

John
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Aaron51Chevy

I've been a long time lurker on Ford Barn, but I finally have a question and not just searching and reading!
If your going to remove say every other leaf, but plan on keeping the main leaf, can't you keep the main leaf attached to the axle (effectively a spring compressor), put the frame on jack stand and jack the axle to remove the center bolt and clamps? Then the jack can be let down and the main spring would stay since it's retained by the axle and the rest of the spring pack would slowly release the energy?
I'm having a hard time understanding using the spring compressor if your not removing the main spring? Or do you have to remove the main spring to remove leaves??
Thanks!
Aaron
Aaron51Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron51Chevy View Post
I've been a long time lurker on Ford Barn, but I finally have a question and not just searching and reading!
If your going to remove say every other leaf, but plan on keeping the main leaf, can't you keep the main leaf attached to the axle (effectively a spring compressor), put the frame on jack stand and jack the axle to remove the center bolt and clamps? Then the jack can be let down and the main spring would stay since it's retained by the axle and the rest of the spring pack would slowly release the energy?
I'm having a hard time understanding using the spring compressor if your not removing the main spring? Or do you have to remove the main spring to remove leaves??
Thanks!
Aaron
It's when the main leaf is spread and installed that the spring has the most danger and power behind it. Try to remove the center nut and it will just about explode on you. I was removing the complete rear spring and axle assembly, and when I was removing the last of the 4 nuts on the 2 U bolts, the frame jumped a couple feet in the air because the center bolt broke from too much rust. Luckily my head was just to the rear of the crossmember.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-09-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:41 AM   #13
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron51Chevy View Post
Thanks!
Aaron
I didn't get this at first either until someone posted a pic of all the leaves, dismantled and lying sideways on the floor roughly in position relative to each other. What you immediately see is that each leaf has a different curve. They don't take on a uniform curve unless the centre bolt forces them into shape. Therefore there is a lot of tension held by that centre bolt.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #14
colin1928

For a softer ride with min effect on ride height T Model springs work perfect
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #15
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
It's when the main leaf is spread and installed that the spring has the most danger and power behind it......I was removing the complete rear spring and axle assembly, and when I was removing the last of the 4 nuts on the 2 U bolts, the frame jumped a couple feet in the air because the center bolt broke from too much rust. Luckily my head was just to the rear of the crossmember.
An old timer, who has since gone from my life, Was a mentor of mine, kept a length of chain with a hook on it about 15 inches long, he would wrap it around the top of the crossmember and the leafspring while he undid the U bolts I never saw it happen, but he said the exact same thing that you did.

Funny thing is though, he never used a spring spreader. :-). I guess that part of the operation didn't scare him. 😳

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
For a softer ride with min effect on ride height T Model springs work perfect
Are you saying to replace the Model A rear spring with A Model T rear spring?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
1955cj5

I did this recently...1929 ccpu.

It had 13 leaves in the rear spring...extra heavy and made for a rough ride.

I reduced it to 8 leaves, cleaned and lubed (with John Deere graphite spray) everything, put it back in and it rides real nice.

Maybe almost too soft for a pickup. It bounces a little through road intersections but I don't have shocks(yet!)

When I started to take it apart and realized what tension it was under I was glad to have the chains etc. in place.

The picture shows it about halfway through the disassembly process..I did it a little at a time moving the clamps and chains further towards the ends as I loosened the center bolt.

The center bolt shown is a new replacement so it is much longer than the original. When I had everything clamped and chained I removed the old center bolt and replace it with the new longer bolt.

More here:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182182
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090264.JPG (205.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P1090301.JPG (197.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 03-09-2016 at 12:16 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #18
Aaron51Chevy

Understand now, thanks for explaining my question all!
Aaron51Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
katy

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't work if one was to take the centre nut off FIRST, then undo the U bolts before jacking the vehicle up. Reverse procedure to reinstall and put the centre nut on last. Might have to put some extra weight in the back of the vehicle to compress the spring.