Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
carolinamudwalker

Default Wind noise ???

My 1930 sport coup is so noisy at 45mph that you cannot carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to you let alone hear anyone on the phone. At 35mph everything is tolerable so my guess is that it is wind noise. Makes no difference weather windows are up or down. Is this normal? How on earth did Ford sell any of these things. Bob
carolinamudwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: Wind noise ???

I have two A's... one is fully restored and the other can loosely be described as a driver. The restored car is much quieter and generally smoother at the 35-45 mph range. There are lots of factors regarding condition of rotating parts that determine what you're experiencing, and I would guess that wind noise is not the big factor. But I will add that a friend and I did a drive comparison several years ago between his restored '31 Victoria and my '32 V8 Victoria. The difference in noise & harshness was huge. Ford made a tremendous jump in overall driving/riding quality in the V8 years, in my opinion.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
burner31

Slow down to 25, problem solved
Or you can tighten everything up, new seals, window channels, door bumpers/seals
A loud radio works well also...or so I'm told

My '31 town sedan, at 50+mph is noisy, but not overly,and a conversation is easily done, my car is by no means a fully restored, it's a normal driver.
I'm going to guess that you have some issues with the car that need to be resolved, (rattles galore?)
How is your muffler/exhaust system?
You'll be surprised what tightening bolts/screws can do, check everything, top, bottom, front, rear, under the car, on top of the car, in the car, bumper brackets, running boards...basicly...everything.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Windwings help the wind noise a LOT. On my coupes, you could carry on a conversation with only 1 window open, but NOT with both open. The wind buffets behind you & blows your hair FORWARD! Ride in a car with windwings, & you'll buy a set!
Bill W.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Windwings help the wind noise a LOT. On my coupes, you could carry on a conversation with only 1 window open, but NOT with both open. The wind buffets behind you & blows your hair FORWARD! Ride in a car with windwings, & you'll buy a set!
Bill W.
Bill is indeed correct. Not only do they look impressive but wind wings serve a practical purpose. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
carolinamudwalker

I was really hoping to hear from other sport coup owners. My club says it is because it is a rag top. I did install wind wings and they seem to help, and yes with the back window up there is a gale coming in from the rear. Not all bad on a really hot day. Bob
Old 01-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
richsfords

still stuck in the Islands, slant windows and all A's are quite till you start them up, the way Henry wanted it.
Richard in New Bern
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it” - Henry Ford
richsfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
leo

Use Beano!
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamudwalker View Post
My 1930 sport coup is so noisy at 45mph that you cannot carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to you let alone hear anyone on the phone. At 35mph everything is tolerable so my guess is that it is wind noise. Makes no difference weather windows are up or down. Is this normal? How on earth did Ford sell any of these things. Bob
Sweet!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #10
George Miller

Quote:
I was really hoping to hear from other sport coup owners. My club says it is because it is a rag top. I did install wind wings and they seem to help, and yes with the back window up there is a gale coming in from the rear. Not all bad on a really hot day. Bob
I have a 1928 Sport Coupe. I restored it in 2001 has 22,000 miles on it sense restored. It is not any more noisy than any other Model A. I have redone 25 Model A,s. None of them are going to be like a new car.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
Jon W

Turn off the phone while driving.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
2manycars

My car is quiet. I have new window seals, new windlace on the doors, sound deadener on all the panels behind upholdstry, even the kick panels, and I sealed the gap between the floor risers and the cowl. I also have a layer of carpet padding under the floor mat.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
carolinamudwalker

Now Leo that was funny, However, My wife is boarding a bus and heading your way as I write this. She is a big woman and always carries a base ball bat. I would not be home when she arrives. Mudwalker
Old 02-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
31Tudor

Mine is pretty noisy, engine/exhaust, and wind noise. lol
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Benson

Try this before you spend too much more money on the problem...

Does the car have a 1930's four blade fan or two blade aluminum fan See note below?

Fans when out of balance can make a lot more noise than you would think.

Pick cool day and remove the fan belt ... test drive for a SHORT trip at the speed where noise happens.

A short trip should not overheat the engine.

If quieter replace fan with a new one. The new two blade fans are balanced.

NOTE: There are a number of old swap meet aluminum two blade fans being sold out there that do not fit the shaft on the water pump and these make noise and vibrate.
That is why they are for sale and cheap!

Many of the 30's four blade fans are just not balanced.

Last edited by Benson; 02-03-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
carolinamudwalker

car has a 6 blade plastic fan. I have also completely lined the interior with the soundproof stuff, all new exhaust system gone over every nut & bolt , but I am convinced this roar is wind noise. I can reverse course and drive the same speed and sometimes you can talk to the person next to you until a curve comes up and the roar comes back. After a 2000 mile trip to the great smoky mountains and back You are just exhausted from the noise. And then there is vapor lock to add to the enjoyment. Like I said ,how did Henry ever sell these rag top things. Mudwalker
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

I'm thinking it's your 6 blade fan...........................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
31Tudor

I wonder if it could be a wheel bearing or something like that? You mentioned when a curve comes up and at certain higher speeds the roar comes back. Maybe a loose or worn, or spun bearing and at certain speeds and then cornering it would put additional force on the bearing making a certain noise that would be transferred through the car. Just a thought. Also is it wind through and or around the windshield frame?
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
burner31

Quote:
car has a 6 blade plastic fan. I have also completely lined the interior with the soundproof stuff, all new exhaust system gone over every nut & bolt , but I am convinced this roar is wind noise. I can reverse course and drive the same speed and sometimes you can talk to the person next to you until a curve comes up and the roar comes back. After a 2000 mile trip to the great smoky mountains and back You are just exhausted from the noise. And then there is vapor lock to add to the enjoyment. Like I said ,how did Henry ever sell these rag top things. Mudwalker

You already answered your own question..."enjoyment"
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote