Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Jim in S.C.

Default Re: Converting model A backing plate to Juice brakes?

I am sure that we are all entitled to our openion on all modifications to our Model A's. So here is mine. Since reading the start of this thread I have studied all of the modern auto makers specifications that I can find on the internet. Not a single one has mechanical brakes on them. Wonder why? Maybe it's because they just don't want us to stop as good as we did in the good ole days!
Jim in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in S.C. View Post
I am sure that we are all entitled to our openion on all modifications to our Model A's. So here is mine. Since reading the start of this thread I have studied all of the modern auto makers specifications that I can find on the internet. Not a single one has mechanical brakes on them. Wonder why? Maybe it's because they just don't want us to stop as good as we did in the good ole days!

No, it's part of the "dumbing down of America" or just being too lazy to learn. You have more work to equalize the 4 wheel brakes on the Model A than a hydraulic system on later cars. Properly adjusted and using good parts the mechanical brakes work great. I've never heard of anyone removing the mechanical brakes on his motorcycle and insisting on hydraulics because he thought the mechanicals didn't stop well. It's just like removing most of the grease zerks on cars and making the parts throw-away instead of servicable.

You see it all over the place. When was the last time you saw a TV brought in for repair? Just throw it away and buy another new one.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
BCCHOPIT

I think that most of you are missing the point. If you look at some of my old threads on mechanical brakes you will see my point. I am just looking for info on the mod that some one has done to the stock baking plates. He cant be the 1st and only one. As I said I am very happy with my brakes. I am more into hot rods and seeing how fast I can make my car. So I upgraded my brakes to 12" mechanical.

Bill
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
steve s

Dennis Cling sells a quality conversion setup and has a detailed booklet describing the options. Several other written descriptions exist.

https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/index.asp

If you're starting from scratch, I suggest using silicone brake fluid. Don't have to worry so much about water absorption, rusting, and freezing up on storage.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
I think that most of you are missing the point. If you look at some of my old threads on mechanical brakes you will see my point. I am just looking for info on the mod that some one has done to the stock baking plates. He cant be the 1st and only one. As I said I am very happy with my brakes. I am more into hot rods and seeing how fast I can make my car. So I upgraded my brakes to 12" mechanical.

Bill
Bill, there may be one area you are mistaken in. Those may be a first. Some guys will just use what they find or what is in their junk box and make it work. I have seen Model T's with all kinds of brake mods and I am fairly new to T's. Disk, drum, cable rods it has all been done and in every way you can imagine. Yours look at the very least, dangerous and the rears were never done because of the difficulty. I would be surprised if those were ever used on an actual car
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Bill, there may be one area you are mistaken in. Those may be a first. Some guys will just use what they find or what is in their junk box and make it work. I have seen Model T's with all kinds of brake mods and I am fairly new to T's. Disk, drum, cable rods it has all been done and in every way you can imagine. Yours look at the very least, dangerous and the rears were never done because of the difficulty. I would be surprised if those were ever used on an actual car

You might be right James. Junk bin building at its best
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
You might be right James. Junk bin building at its best
Or WORST
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote