Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Towd56

Default Piston/Head Clearance

I am assembling this engine and as you can see by pictures the pistons extend .050 above the deck. I intend on using a best gasket which I am told compresses to .042? So obviously I need to make a little room. I've searched on this forum and have read about cutting pistons, gasket shims and double gaskets.

I am running a Winfield aluminum head with no cut out in chamber.

I am looking for some real world advice ....... what is the best route?
How much squish do I need?
Can I take that much off the top of pistons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0149.jpg (59.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (68.9 KB, 140 views)
Towd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Piston/Head Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towd56 View Post
I am assembling this engine and as you can see by pictures the pistons extend .050 above the deck. I intend on using a best gasket which I am told compresses to .042? So obviously I need to make a little room. I've searched on this forum and have read about cutting pistons, gasket shims and double gaskets.

I am running a Winfield aluminum head with no cut out in chamber.

I am looking for some real world advice ....... what is the best route?
How much squish do I need?
Can I take that much off the top of pistons?
Hey Towd,
Well, that will not work as is !
Looks like you still have engine apart and working it..no ? If apart, that's good , with what you've stated. Because if I were in your predicament , I'd have the pistons cut till flush or maybe a few thou above deck. Gasket will handle a few thou above deck. You should , IMO, try for no less that .040 squish.
Pistons cut even with deck and , as you say, .042 compressed gasket should get you there. You can get even thicker gasket. I consult with 'BEST' gasket rep. I've had their copper type compress to .055.

If you do not like the above , your next best option would , IMO, be to have a 'flycut' machined into your head. That way, you can custom pick out exactly what you want for clearances.

I've used the double gasket method, and I've taken the tops of alum pistons off even with block by hand....very trying/tedious but worked well.

Now third action, and what I'd probably do in your situation. Tod (member here) is making several iron and / or alum flatheads. He can make any flycut depth or no flycut that you request. He now makes an IRON crowfoot Winfield type head. I have one (iron) that had .050 flycut. I removed all of the flycut (8:1CR) and used it on pistons flat with block. Ran great ! Contact Tod and tell him what you want from what he tells you is available.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Towd56

The motor is still apart. I just fitted one cylinder to take some measurements. Based on your response - I'll mill the pistons

Thank you
Old 03-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

Do this on the piston that protrudes the most.

Rub some motor oil on top of a piston, and in the corresponding combustion chamber of the cylinder head. Put some clay on top of that piston, and install and torque the head. Rotate the crankshaft slowly 360 degrees. Remove the head and measure the thickness of the clay.

My preference is to have 0.06" to 0.09" clearance between the piston and cylinder head.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
JohnLaVoy

Having had the same problem I took the head to a machine shop and had the area above the piston cut to allow the piston to fit.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
chap52

Try "foiling" to determine the clearances. balls of foil placed on top of piston with grease, install head gasket, then finger tighten head. slowly hand turn engine, remove head and use calipers to measure the foil thickness. Then you can use a dremel grinder to mill the head chambers to size. Just did this on my flathead and it worked out fine, On the V8 your looking for .040 clearances.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Jim Brierley

Stock-type pistons are not very thick on top, so be careful how much you take off.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Dodge

Snyder and others have a gasket called a "premium gasket" that is .100 thick. I used one to solve a similar problem with a motor that was getting a high compression head and the pistons were too high.
If you try it get the one for a model b motor as it fits the combustion chamber better.
Also you have to torque it several times until it stops compressing or it will blow.
Another place to try is Cometic Gaskets, they'll make you any thickness you want.
We just used them for a flathead V-8 that was decked too much. Just be prepared for the sticker shock.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
jfreddie

When in a pinch, two copper gaskets with copper coat is a good, cheap alternative.

Since you're mostly apart I'd mill the pistons. About .050" max.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

I would suggest that you contact the piston manufacturer prior to cutting the pistons and ask how much they recommend as a safe limit.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Towd56

I put the pistons on a little diet. Took .034 off them. I was told by manufacturer that it would not be a problem to take that much off. With the gasket I should have .040 clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.jpg (61.6 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Towd56; 03-05-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
I put the pistons on a little diet. Took .034 off them. With the gasket I should have .040 clearance.
Good job ! Ha, you didn't say that you are a machinist ...piece of cake then. Advised not to try it with a harbor freight 'palm sander' !

Whose make are the pistons that you show ? Look to be the modern narrow ring type....and , IMO, that's good.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #13
Towd56

No machinist here - just a hack who gets himself in trouble. The pistons Are from Rich at antique engine rebuilding. Small ring and short skirt. They seem like a quality piece. Hastings rings.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
No machinist here - just a hack who gets himself in trouble. The pistons Are from Rich at antique engine rebuilding. Small ring and short skirt. They seem like a quality piece. Hastings rings.
Thanks and looks like you are on your way to having a fine engine !
I have a set of the modern thin rings in Hastings brand for .125 overbore. Wonder if Rich has pistons including that size ? Did pins come fit to pistons ?

BTW, the engine in my avatar is .125 over and with flat to deck piston tops, with alum super Winfield....no flycut ! Runs strong. I figure 7.5:1
Don't forget to 'clay' your clearance above pistons AND valves to be sure what you want !

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-05-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: ...........
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #15
Towd56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Thanks and looks like you are on your way to having a fine engine !
I have a set of the modern thin rings in Hastings brand for .125 overbore. Wonder if Rich has pistons including that size ? Did pins come fit to pistons ?

BTW, the engine in my avatar is .125 over and with flat to deck piston tops, with alum super Winfield....no flycut ! Runs strong. I figure 7.5:1
Don't forget to 'clay' your clearance above pistons AND valves to be sure what you want !
Yes he has those size pistons. In fact, he mentioned having sizes all the way up to .140. Yes the pins came with; they have a tapered center too. Even nicer - he's a sinch to deal with. Very helpful. The engine in your avatar is the same specs as what I am building. Are those heads prone to have valve interference?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Gunmetal blue2

Check the how high all the pistons are. We had one guy on here break two heads, before he found out that one piston was to high.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
Jim Brierley

Whichever gasket you use, be sure it fits the head, don't worry about the block.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Yes he has those size pistons. In fact, he mentioned having sizes all the way up to .140. Yes the pins came with; they have a tapered center too. Even nicer - he's a sinch to deal with. Very helpful. The engine in your avatar is the same specs as what I am building. Are those heads prone to have valve interference?
Thanks much for this great info regarding pistons availability !

The avatar head has plenty of room for valve heads and I did some relief work , for better flow. Valves are also worked just below head for improved flow. Intakes being 1.750.

I'm not good with cam knowledge, but think that available valve head clearance has to do also with HOW MUCH CAM you are using (i.e.-lift). That's why I said to clay above valves also, particularly if using more radical cam. Cam in this block is a nos original B , that was prepared by Pete (member here) with special Chrysler lifters. Pete match cam grind with lifter faces and it runs/sounds awesome !

Just for reference: Crowfoot IRON picture of TOD Winfield. Alum Winfield. Yours look like alum shown ?

BTW...
Anyone know if Pete is still among us ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (62.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (70.4 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-05-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: ...........