Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
Cockshutt Kid

Default Oil Pumps

Good morning. I have several oil pumps and have pulled them apart to clean them up and select the best one to use. I have discarded a couple for obvious reasons such as corrosion and welding attempts. I have noticed several subtle differences in the rest such as an early forged one with soldered on cover. several have rectangular oil discharge holes at the top section of the shaft. one has a single larger discharge hole, and several have two smaller discharge holes. There is also the two different drive shafts . Is there one style that is better than the others to rebuild and use? Also, one has the extra sheet metal cover that was designed to cover the opening in the dipper tray. should this be used? Thanks. Jim.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Oil Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockshutt Kid View Post
Good morning. I have several oil pumps and have pulled them apart to clean them up and select the best one to use. I have discarded a couple for obvious reasons such as corrosion and welding attempts. I have noticed several subtle differences in the rest such as an early forged one with soldered on cover. several have rectangular oil discharge holes at the top section of the shaft. one has a single larger discharge hole, and several have two smaller discharge holes. There is also the two different drive shafts . Is there one style that is better than the others to rebuild and use? Also, one has the extra sheet metal cover that was designed to cover the opening in the dipper tray. should this be used? Thanks. Jim.

Check this out...I think it will answer your questions and more.

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...P_ASSEMBLY.pdf

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-07-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Cockshutt Kid

Thanks, I will . Appreciate the help. Jim.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
Cockshutt Kid

Steve , Wow you sure said it! I guess that I should be more specific in what I am doing. I have a B block with the forged on crankshaft weights. It came disassembled without all of the parts. Therefore I am trying to gather up what I need to assemble it. This is what brought about the oil pump questions. I am thinking that I should use an oil pump body with the 5/8 bushings, an undercut shaft and the shield that was added. In theory, this should flow the maximum amount of oil. Does this sound correct ? Much appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Benson

The Model B oil pump is different from the A Pump.

Using a Model A pump or the wrong shaft in a Model B pump can damage the Model B engine due to low oil flow.

Low flow results in not enough oil in the dipper tray to lube the rod bearings at higher engine RPMs (around 2800).

Model A engine develops horse power at 2200 and the B at 2800 RPM.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/boilpumpshaft.htm

Bert's stocks the correct oil pump shafts ...

The Model B pump housing can be identified by the oil exit holes being slots instead of round holes.

There is a 1932 Model B service bulletin that covers this in detail.

Along with the warning about Model B engine damage if the wrong pump parts are used.

From experience I can say that if your B Engine only has about 2-3 lbs oil pressure when hot and at highway speeds then chances are very good that you do not have a Model B oil pump/shaft.

Note: Model A engines do not have pressure to the mains so they will not show 8-10 lbs at highway speeds and hot engine.

My stock low mileage Model B rebuild with correct oil pump and unmodified oil passages has 2-3 lbs at idle and 8-10 at 60 MPH with a HOT engine this is with 20-50 oil.

Low pressure could be caused by worn main bearings of course.

Last edited by Benson; 01-07-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Several corrections since first posted ...
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Cockshutt Kid

Thanks Benson. Was the housing with the rectangular oil exit holes also used in the later model A engines? A large number of the pumps that I have are of this style and came out of A blocks. I know that they could easily have been changed, but most also have the 1/2 inch shaft? I really do not want to make an error here. Is there a casting number or some other identification that I can use as a double check. Thanks. Jim.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

My observation and conjecture regarding the oil outlet hole follows.

I have also noticed the oil outlet hole going from a round hole to a rectangular hole in cast pump bodies, but I have not seen any Ford notice pertaining to the change. When Ford changed the oil pump body to a casting, it made manufacturing the rectangular hole practical.

So the cast oil pump body came later-on in the Model A and it was likely a feature in all of the Model B oil pumps.

The rectangular oil outlet hole has less area than the round hole, so in my opinion pump bodies with the round hole have a greater volumetric oil flow.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Cockshutt Kid

Good morning Bob. I think you are right on the money with your opinion. After getting your post, I went to the shop dismantled 11 oil pumps. All of them had the larger OD bushing, and only 2 had the relieved shaft. I measured the oil discharge holes and the round ones were all two holes of 7/32 diameter. There was one pump body that had a single larger hole which I ignored because is was obvious that the combined area was less. Where it got interesting was the rectangular holes. I measured them as well as I could using a steel ruler. most of them were in the range of 3/32x3/8 , but one was 1/8 x 3/8. If you do the mathematical calculations this makes a huge difference in the surface area of the holes. The smaller ones will definitely flow less than the round holes, but the larger rectangle will flow approximately 20 % more. The rectangular holes are also shaped like a weir and I do not recall how this will effect flow as compared to a drilled hole. thanks for the help, it has made my decision much easier. thanks, Jim.