Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #21
MikeK

Default Re: Signal light system

Dave,
If it goes back & forth between normal and fast blink you may have an intermittent short in the wiring. If it does it on one side only (L or R) the intermittent is in that half of the wiring to your lamps. If it does it on both sides the intermittent short would be between the "L" connector wire on the flasher and anything along it's path. You should also check the soldered con's inside the 900 to make sure everything has clearance.

Inside a typical old USA made flasher (left) and chinese trash(right).
See the fine wires flying in the sky on the chinese? A couple bumps on the road and they short to the case. There is also no strain relief on any connection- some are unsoldered and just a pinch between the terminal spade and the plastic base.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1929 View Post
Hello,
I had same problem with Stat 900 6 volt and small bulbs in units that go between bumber irons. I have just put a Tridon TF63 6 volt Thermal Flasher in and all blinker lights work correctly as well as all 4 for hazards. The only things is the green lights don't work on the unit when using indicators.
Cheers
The Tridon TF63 is exactly the chinese flasher I pictured above on the right! It is a combination thermal/bimetal flash & transistor indicator drive unit. It is partially polarity sensitive. The flasher will operate 6V pos or neg ground, but the drive to the indicator bulb (P terminal, for 'Pilot light') only works in neg ground configuration. Also, you said "green lights". There is only one bulb in the SS900. It moves with the lever to a spot under either green or center red lens. Your switch housing must be grounded for that lamp to work. If you unplug the flasher and touch a jumper between the X and P on the socket the indicator should illuminate.

If you want the indicator to work with that flasher on pos ground you need to change the NPN transistor to a PNP.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1929 View Post
Hello,
I had same problem with Stat 900 6 volt and small bulbs in units that go between bumber irons. I have just put a Tridon TF63 6 volt Thermal Flasher in and all blinker lights work correctly as well as all 4 for hazards. The only things is the green lights don't work on the unit when using indicators.
Cheers
The GREEN light on the unit will NOT flash, if you don't have a GOOD ground between the unit & the steering column. Try a jumper from the signal lever to the windshield slide arm, for a test. I just poked an external star washer under the clamp on the column, tightened the clamp REAL TIGHT & problem SOLVED!!
Bill W.