Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
demingboy

Default distributor

Hi there. New guy to old cars. Have been reading about upgrading from 6 volt to 12. Not sure that is what I need to do.
My problem is weak spark from old distributor. Kinda like the vaccumn advance from stock and want to keep original carburetor.
So my question is can I chage to an electronic ignition replacing points only with a 6 volt system?
1941 ford super deluxe with 1950 ford flathead.
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: distributor

You are probably better off fixing the problem you now have and continue using the stock distributer. Opinions vary. Contact some of the folks in this thread. Hope you got the OFFY heads listed earlier.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ronic+ignition

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-27-2020 at 11:50 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
40cpe

Yes, there is electronic ignition available for 6v positive ground distributors. Be certain to follow the installation instructions. Pay particular attention to coil specifications. Also you can't use solid core plug wires with the electronic ignition.

https://pertronixbrands.com/products...BoCY4cQAvD_BwE

Last edited by 40cpe; 11-27-2020 at 12:36 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Frank Miller

I have a pertronix in my 49 Ford with their suggested coil. I have run this for 6 years with solid core wires and no problems. At least 20,000 miles. I do carry spare parts.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
demingboy

Thanks for the references to the older posts. Just getting started again on old flathead fords. I have same problem as guy mentioned about hard starting and weak spark. Makes sense about the battery cables and connections.
Starter was replaced, voltage regulator and many other parts just to make it run. Previous owner did a far amount of fixing.
On another note I could not make an offer on the for sale page for those heads. I am not at that level yet?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
coolcoupe

Hi Frank, are you still on 6 volt ?
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
40cpe

Delete: wrong thread

Last edited by 40cpe; 12-15-2020 at 04:27 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoupe View Post
Hi Frank, are you still on 6 volt ?

Sorry, yes 6 volt pos grnd.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Veeder

1 st bypass the ignition switch
2nd I assume this is a helmet distributor need to know the voltage you have at the coil
3rd don't change the point gap but measure them ((dist needs to be off the car)

4th DO NOT GO WITH PETANIX IN THIS DISTRIBUTOR! If it is a drive around fun car fix the distributor.

If necessary have your coil rebuilt by skip Haney in FL
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
supereal

If the spark is weak, it is likely your ignition coil and the condenser is weak. Send it to Skip Haney (941-505-9085). The distributor doesn't generate the spark, it turns the coil on and off, and, as the name implies, "distributes" the spark.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
If the spark is weak, it is likely your ignition coil and the condenser is weak. Send it to Skip Haney (941-505-9085). The distributor doesn't generate the spark, it turns the coil on and off, and, as the name implies, "distributes" the spark.
Very true, with the exception that too low of dwell can also cause weak spark due to insufficient coil charge time
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I thought we were dealing with a 1950 single points, vacuum advance distributor? And a later "can" coil?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I thought we were dealing with a 1950 single points, vacuum advance distributor? And a later "can" coil?
Good point I and others did not catch that.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
Frank Miller

When someone says the have a 50 8ba it most likely is a top distributor unless specified otherwise.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And this is a give-a-way: "Kinda like the vacuum advance from stock and want to keep original carburetor."
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
And this is a give-a-way: "Kinda like the vacuum advance from stock and want to keep original carburetor."
I missed the last sentence stating the engine as did others. Many mistakenly call the vacuum brake on the Early Distributors a Vacuum advance, I assumed that was the case here, but obviously old age is setting in on me.

Back to the original poster I really like the petronix in the 49-53 engines. Personally I would not run one in the Earlier engines though. Frank Miller is a true testament to their durability as he drives his car all over the country.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
demingboy

Sorry about that. It is a top mount distributor. Ia a 1951 ford motor in a 1941 super deluxe car. I (after much reading) will just install the Petronix 6 volt negative ground. I believe one problem is the 8 volt battery, lack of cranking amps also.
Will switch to the almost 200. dollar battery I read about here on the forum. Makes sense that starter takes amperage away from points on start up.
Really like reding about flathead,s and performance, Such that I will be putting on some EAB heads that have been milled slightly. Also a new intake manifold with the Holley 4 barrel.carb. I believe it is the 390 cfm one.
Only gotta figure out now how to best do exhaust Am leaning on just getting the exhaust system for dual exhaust from Waldrons.
I am aware that I will need a cam at some point but just looking for a little more pep on otherwise stock 8BA motor. Will re jet secondaries if need be, worried about washing out cylinders with excess fuel .
Fun times ahead
Old 12-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demingboy View Post
Sorry about that. It is a top mount distributor. Ia a 1951 ford motor in a 1941 super deluxe car. I (after much reading) will just install the Petronix 6 volt negative ground. I believe one problem is the 8 volt battery, lack of cranking amps also.
Will switch to the almost 200. dollar battery I read about here on the forum. Makes sense that starter takes amperage away from points on start up.
Really like reding about flathead,s and performance, Such that I will be putting on some EAB heads that have been milled slightly. Also a new intake manifold with the Holley 4 barrel.carb. I believe it is the 390 cfm one.
Only gotta figure out now how to best do exhaust Am leaning on just getting the exhaust system for dual exhaust from Waldrons.
I am aware that I will need a cam at some point but just looking for a little more pep on otherwise stock 8BA motor. Will re jet secondaries if need be, worried about washing out cylinders with excess fuel .
Fun times ahead
Slowly slowly, one change at a time and observe results. Too many changes in one hit makes fault finding a little more complex.
Like follow through on electrical side first get this sorted then move onto fuel side etc. Just my observations.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
tubman

Every flathead 4 BBL manifold I have seen (and I have owned a few; Sharp, Fenton, Edmunds, Offenhauser) had the "square" carburetor mounting pattern (this was used on WCFB's, early Rochester 4G's, some Ford carbs, and Stromberg 4 BBL's) and the Holley won't bolt on. Adapters are readily available to solve the problem (Speedway, for one, has them).

Or you can look for one of the earlier carburetors. I think they look better, but they are now hard to find and even cores are expensive. I did run a 390 Holley on the Offenhauser manifold with an adapter and it worked fine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Charlie ny
BANNED

deming,
I'll toss this out for what ever it is worth......
If/when you go with a 4 barrel carb your Ford Loadamtic distributor with or without Pert will not function well. At least think about a Chevy distributor refitted to run in an 8BA. Can be 100% mechanical adv and will run happily with one 2 brl a 4 brl or multi carbs. It can be set up for points or Pert and is happy with 6 , 8 or 12 volts
I am a believer in the vintage small base Rochester or Carter 4 brl carbs. The Rochester is simple and effective with mechanical or vac operated secondaries and
was mostly used on early 50's Olds and Cad..I've a few in my stash and they show up often on e bay. The vintage Rochesters have the 'look' and are easily tuned.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote