Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
Nosetime

Default Need help from Old school A hotrod guys, Jim Brierley, Ken Parker...and more

Installed my Bubbas( Jim Linder) rebuilt 1930s YA 11 from a Gleaner Combine. Running a Winfield Aluminum head I bought from from a FordBarn gentleman. Head came with a large diameter bolt that would apparently secure the distributor to secure timing. What I have realized is two things. First, if I torque the single large bolt to hold the timing mark, I get noise as if I am pulling distributor drive off line and getting gear lash. Back off, and it will not hold timing mark. This was not a problem with my more modern 70's Mallory distributor. I also noted, there is an indented hole adjacent to distributor that would appear to accept a flat clamp with dowel pin and secure distributor like a more modern design. Any advice on procuring a clamp or should I fab one up? All help/sugguestions welcome. I have a small fortune in this distributor. Regards, Greg. Did not get the pics I had hoped for, so will add a few more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FD5029E9-E03E-43D0-BF04-352CEA07D8E7_1_105_c.jpg (42.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg mallory highlight.jpg (43.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Mallory 2.jpg (55.2 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Nosetime; 01-06-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:20 AM   #2
Fourd

Default Re: Need help from Old school A hotrod guys, Jim Brierley, Ken Parker...and more

You might try and rotate the distributor 180 degrees if needed as Shaft tongue & grooves are off set.
I have the same set up and did some dist shaft “tuning” to get best alignment with old worn out parts. Swaped out the drive too.
Fourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Nosetime

Default Re: Need help from Old school A hotrod guys, Jim Brierley, Ken Parker...and more

That is not the problem, but thanks. Shaft is new and distributor is good. Even if that was the solution, not possible with large brass external condenser...no room with 97 carb. Need info on a hold down bracket. I will contact Tod Buttermore.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
DBSHELTON

I think I would just fabricate a hold down bracket.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Nosetime

Thats what I am thinking, as well. I am going to put a taper on the bolt today and see if that helps. Still curious what the the original set up might have been?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Fourd

https://www.specialtymotorcams.com/shop.php
They show clamps.
Fourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
Nosetime

Thanks Fourd. Will check with them today.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I have one of those aluminum repop winfields, the bore for the distributor is sloppy on mine as well .Don't run a single shaft distributor drive, get the original two piece.wrap the distributor body with shim stock to tighten it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (67).jpg (66.8 KB, 72 views)
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Nosetime

Jack, I had no problem with my distributor you show. I thought about the shim stock also. As much as I searched I cannot find any reference to a hold down on the Winfield, although clearly there appears to be a hole that would index one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 417D8135-F2C4-494B-8314-04B6731A0904_4_5005_c.jpg (80.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

that hole indexes the stock model a distributor. wico magnetos used a bracket than anchored there.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #11
Jack Shaft
BANNED

you can see the pin bottom right.the a distributor is fixed, you turn the point cam to time it.The red one is an original winfield,even Ed used the index hole..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00fd.jpg (24.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (95).jpg (94.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Jack Shaft; 01-07-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #12
Nosetime

Ha, it's been so long since I had a stock dist, I forgot about that! I think I will shim a bit and taper the bolt to lock it...The specialty motor cams link shows something close to what I thought would work.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
Bob C

This is what I made to use a Jeep distributor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0593.jpg (69.7 KB, 93 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
CarlG

[QUOTE=Nosetime;1971168]Installed my Bubbas( Jim Linder) rebuilt 1930s YA 11 from a Gleaner Combine.../QUOTE]

I trust you had better luck with Bubba (Jim Linder) than I have had. I sent 2 distributors to him over 2 years ago, along with the money to rebuild them, I still don't have them back.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #15
Jim Brierley

Sounds like the dist. is distorting and adding friction at the shaft. Fabricate a clamp, or the Stipe clamp looks good, and they do quality work. I run a Mallory that was made for a Datsun, it came with a clamp but I had to secure it with the stock bolt that shows in your pic. The stock bolt had a smaller nub that rode inside the groove in the dist. You might be lucky enough to find a clamp off of something else??? Keep the hol-down bolt in place, if only just snug, it will help hold the dist. down into the head. Good luck!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
Ruth

In the past I thought about using a VW Bug distributor hold down clamp but never followed up on it. Not sure if it would work or could be modified.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/8909.html
Old 01-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #17
kenparker0703

Details about a Mallory Distributor are above my paygrade.
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
Jack Shaft
BANNED

^^^^gotta agree with this^^^^.I have a B and a couple of FSI's ...pull offs,discarded by cats going back stock.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #19
Nosetime

Thanks to all for the input. Carl, yeah, I sent mine to him just before he got really sick. So, I am almost compelled to run this after the small fortune and time I waited for it!