Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
Grandpas35Tudor

Default 35 Tudor New Fuel Tank

Hello all, this is my first post so please let me know if I am missing any information.

I recently acquired a 1935 Tudor Slantback that was purchased new by my great grandfather. It hasn't ran for a few decades so our first step was to get it running in order to confirm the motor was in working order and give us some motivation. I pulled the tank hoping we could clean and re-seal it but after getting a look inside it was too far gone. I purchased a new tank from Tanks Inc had a few questions I was hoping someone that has been down this path could answer.

I got a new filler neck which is vented, and planned on re finishing the original cap. The tank came with a remote breather that connects to the pick up tube assembly via hose. Do people typically run this through the filler neck cutout in the body and mount somewhere inside the drivers rear fender area?

I should have done more research on the gauges, I got a 73-10 Ohms sending unit thinking I could get a direct replacement guage for a 36 or similar, something that would fit the dash and look the part. I'm more concerned about reliability than originality, but still want to look authentic. Any recommendations on a gauge? I realize I may have to purchase a new sending unit, I just want to get the correct one before installing the tank back in the car.

Thanks in advance.
Grandpas35Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:40 AM   #2
Jembow

Default Re: 35 Tudor New Fuel Tank

Wish my tank had a breather, get terrible splashback problems when filling. Better folk than I will advise on gauges: the original use a different system to the modern replacement. I have an original 36 gauge hooked to a repro sender. I calibrated it so it reads correctly on Empty but the needle disappears up the top once there are 4 galls on board. But you only need to know when you're getting down low, so I can live with it.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
4 MAINS V8

Default Re: 35 Tudor New Fuel Tank

Jem
The original 35 hydrostatic sender unit had a breather tube incorporated into it. By replacing the unit with a later sender unit you have effectively eliminated the breather, causing your refuelling problems. A solution to your problem would be to adapt your sender unit with a breather on the lines of the hydrostatic unit.
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote