Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Joeyv

Default 49 Mercury hood binding problems

Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust the hood of a 49 mercury? The problem is the hood binds at the cowl right in the center of the hood. The hood actually pops when it’s opened. It seems every adjustment I’ve tried using the bolts on the brackets have not improve the situation. I’m wondering if the springs need to be replaced, or the hinges themselves. Any suggestions how to diagnose and correct this are appreciated. Thanks!
Joeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 49 Mercury hood binding problems

First, the hood support springs have nothing to do with locating the hood.
When the hood is closed and latched is the center of the hood level with the cowl?
Loosen the 3 bolts on the cowling on each side and move the brackets forward and upward to start with. Tighten and recheck etc/etc.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Joeyv

Thanks. I’ll recheck to see if the top of the hood is level with the cowl, but I’m confident that it is. I’ve loosened the 3 bolts that adjust the hood, moves it forward, back, etc, but haven’t been able to correct the problem. Is that the only adjustment or potential cause for the problem? I appreciate the advice, thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
rotorwrench

If it's catching anywhere on the cowl, it's too close since the hood doesn't move straight up when you open it. The hood has to be relatively straight for a decent adjustment. If some kid ever walked around on it then it can be troublesome to get a good fit. Sheet metal issues have to be addressed.

Condition of the hood bumpers can also have an affect. The hood may set too low if they are worn or missing. Cars that show signs of front end collision can be near impossible to fit. The condition of the hood hinges and mounts is also important. If the hood was ever sprung by coming open driving down the road, all the affected points need to be inspected for bend or twist damages. Thankfully, all the 49 thru 51 hinges are the same so there are likely still good ones out there. If the inner fender structure gets sprung, it can be a bear to get alignment.

Make sure all your hardware is in good condition too. Clean and straight hardware make adjustments easier.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
19Fordy

Joey, Be sure and check the sheet metal on the top inside of the fender where the springs mount. Sometimes that area develops cracks from years of stressful movement.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Something that has worked for me.
Rotate both hinges as far as possible then lock in place.
If necessary rotate opposite way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotate.jpg (14.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Joeyv

Guys - thanks for the tips. I won’t be back to my car until next week to take another crack at the hood. I appreciate the information and I will report back on my progress. Have a great day!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:28 AM   #8
Joeyv

Thanks again. I followed the suggestions you gave me and I was able to resolve the binding of the hood on the cowl. Now I need to work with the hood some more to correct the margins on the sides of the hood. There is zero clearance on the right side of the hood. I can’t see any evidence of front end collision damage, so I’m thinking it’s still an adjustment issue. I’m thinking I need to mess with the hood brackets a bit more, unless there are any other suggestions on how to correct it. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
rotorwrench

If the gap is narrow on one side then it should be wide on the other. That's a good indication for continued bracket adjustment. This kind of stuff is what clues you to how much you can adjust. If the hood latches and it's still off to one side, that could be a sign of a deeper rooted problem. The hood latch mechanism may not have much adjustability. The latch pin could be bent or worn and need some work.

My 51 cars have pretty narrow gaps on both sides but at least they are straight.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
51 MERC-CT

When ever the situation required it, this is what I have done to correct the gap on the front of the hood.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #11
Joeyv

The gap is very tight on one side and wider on the other. On the tight side, it is particularly tight, actually rubbing, on the corner closest to the cowl on the right hand side. I’ll be back to the car on Thursday and try to adjust it using the block of wood and hammer technique.
Once again, thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate them. Especially the awesome graphics!
Old 12-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #12
FortyNiner

Careful with the Hammer technique. The suggestion by 51 Merc was for alignment issues with the front. You have issues with the sides. Continue to work the bracket before bringing out the BFH.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
Joeyv

Thanks for the Tips, guys. I didn’t use the hammer technique because my problem was in the back corner of the hood. It took about Four hours of adjusting (no kidding) the brackets, but I was finally able to get margins on all sides of the hood. Not perfect, needs more work, but much better than it was. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Just a tip, once the brackets are finally located, choose a common nail or any round rod that's appox. 3/32" dia.
Drill one or two holes (two would be best) in a convenient location thru the bracket and the body that the rod will just slip into.
The holes can be covered to seal with dum-dum putty.
The purpose is that if the brackets had to be removed for any reason, pins
could be inserted into the holes to locate the bracket in it's original position.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-14-2019 at 09:29 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
Joeyv

Thanks for the tip, 51.