Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
lupie989

Default front end problems

I have recently begun work on a 1930 tudor and have some serious steering issues. The wheel steers very hard, will not return after a turn, and has a lot of play. The front wheels, when moved manually left to right have at least one to two inches of play. The wheels also seriously shake. Any suggestions? Am I looking at steering box, king pin, tie-rods, pitman arm, or...??..Any advice is appreciated.
lupie989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
oldmanandakid

Default Re: front end problems

All of the above plus the wheel bearings and thrust bearings under the king pins.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Terry, NJ

Pitman arms are easy! The ball should be no more than .020 out of round. The one on my coupe was .130 out. I had a old P. A. that was about .040 out and I was able to bring it under .020 with a file and sand paper. It steers much easier now, especially when the wheel get near the locks. If you have access to cheap (but good) welding. Just replace the ball. If not, buy a short P.A. and enjoy to model A's answer to power sterring.
Check your wheel bearings for looseness too. And for little flats worn onto the balls or rollers. The steering box has four adjustments. I won't try to tell you about them, but I will warn you about the one with the lock nut (on the top of the steering column, just above the filler plug) Don't "Gorrillaize" this adjustment. Just 'snug" it up, gently or you' ll crack a bearing race.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
columbiA

Ive shortened a few P.A,s over the years for myself,but unless you really know what you are doing,leave it to a pro.Now that short P.A,s are available,I would buy one of them.Any"A" that has been driven until it is totally worn out will need EVERYTHING rebuilt in order to work like new.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
oldmanandakid

Here's is a thread that covered many front-end issues:
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79078
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

I would tear down the entire steering system and go through it, replacing or rebuilding every component to original specs. The Model A steers easily when all is correctly repaired. But it is not tolerant of much wear or poor fitment without difficulty in steering, such as hard steering, shimmy, wandering, etc.

While in the process, if your car is not fine point, the shortened pittman arm, now available as a one-piece forging ( far preferable to welded), and the teflon EZ steer kit will make an already easy system even easier.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanandakid View Post
All of the above plus the wheel bearings and thrust bearings under the king pins.
I tend to agree with this. In other words it sounds like all of the things you mentioned could have problems.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote