Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default How should this be adjusted for the clutch pedal?

I installed the new parts for the clutch pedal assembly in the 55 Club Sedan but was wondering how the bracket/spring assembly connected to the top of the dash bracket should be adjusted? I have included a picture here so that you can see the J bolt, bracket, and spring in question. The shop manual is not clear, but is this used to help maintain pressure on the clutch after you push the pedal down a little?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: How should this be adjusted for the clutch pedal?

One more thing I will add, after getting the clutch free pedal travel to be correct (by adjusting the push rod that contacts the clutch fork on the bell) the pedal will not return back to normal height. It simply rests against floor pan. Not quite sure what else there is to adjust. The "return" spring is hooked to the bracket on the frame and to the small hole in the clutch fork and looks to have pretty good tension. Any ideas?

EDIT: For some reason my brain is telling me that the return spring is no where near strong enough,,,, right? I will have to take a photo and post what I was given to install.

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 06-13-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Hot Rod Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

Looked again and finagled around a bit... my problem. MY PUSH ROD FOR THE FORK IS TOO SHORT! It is only 7 inches long and the acorn nut bottoms out and barely begins to move the clutch fork.

I got all of this in a mess of parts from a fella who said it was for 55/56 Ford. So far everything has matched up perfectly but that rod is entirely too short. it 7" from the end of threads to the middle of the eye where it bolts to the lever near the block.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Ole Don

Oh, I wish I could help. WE moved into a townhouse, and my floor jack is gone. I could just jack it up and measure the push rod. If my foggy memory is right, the push rod should be about a foot long. The spring up under the dash should be a helper to assist pull over center. The clutch itself with push it back. I had trouble with free play one time. I took the cover off the bottom, had the bride hold the pedal down, and adjusted so I could slip a .060 feeler between the flywheel and the disc. I locked it down there and all was well.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

Ok, I took a couple of photos to show the dilemma. I do not see any other adjustment for LENGTH of the throw other than spinning the acorn on the rod.

a photo of the fork contacting the bearing retainer, bearing, and 3 arms on the pressure plate

A couple of snapshots of the fork resting as shown above but then trying to attach the push rod. Note how it simply "runs out of room"

this is how far I have to go to get it even begin to engage (which does barely work but to be able to full disengage the clutch I need about an 1" more of thread).

Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Ole Don

Picture two doesn't look right to me. If the arm has not pressed the throw out bearing in yet, it should not be so close to the clutch cover. Are you sure the arm is correctly placed on the fulcrum? Is the arm correctly in the slot on the throw out bearing? Is it the correct throw out bearing? Was the fulcrum removed for painting or cleaning and replaced facing the wrong way? It sure is purdy!
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Hot Rod Reverend

Ole Don,

another fella responded on another site and told me that the newer pressure plates do not have the fingers quite as long and are designed like the diaphragm style. that would sure explain a lot. I heard from another older gentleman and he maintains that when he put in a new pressure plate he had to do the same thing - lengthen the push rod.