Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
northeastcarnut

Angry I Can't Stop My Clutch Chatter On My '53!

I have a 1953 Ford V8 stick shift with bad clutch chatter! So far I have done the following: new clutch disc, new pressure plate (3rd),new throughout bearing (3rd), new front engine mounts, new transmission mount, new equalizer rod and bushing, new universal joints (3rd), resurfaced flywheel-twice, balanced drive shaft, replaced rear drive shaft flange, changed bell housing from '51 Mercury to '53 Ford,(my engine is a Mercury) the clutch fork linkage was not in perfect alignment. Now it is straight. Today the chatter is the same or worse! Now what?
northeastcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: I Can't Stop My Clutch Chatter On My '53!

Any run-out on the flywheel? Angles of trans to flywheel straight and in the same plane?Was everything set up in clean room conditions?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Did you check the flywheel, block bellhousing mounting surface and transmission mounting surface on the bellhousing to assure they are all parallel to each other?

Same as Franklin posted!

Last edited by JSeery; 03-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
drolston

The only thing left is the pilot bearing and/or badly worn transmission front shaft.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Binx

As crazy as it may sound, if your engagement is now in the upper part of your pedal travel, readjust it to begin engagement 1" off the floor so it is fully engaged at half pedal travel.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
George/Maine

I think with the ford bell housing use a 10" LONG pressure plate with 3 groups of 2 bolt pattern from Fort Wayne. If you have a pressure Plate with 6 even bolts its mercury.
Then you will need a Ford flywheel.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
I think with the ford bell housing use a 10" LONG pressure plate with 3 groups of 2 bolt pattern from Fort Wayne. If you have a pressure Plate with 6 even bolts its mercury.
Then you will need a Ford flywheel.
As CLEARLY stated, he already has NEW parts, bolted together and operational! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
4t8v8

Had the same problem with my F1. The more I drive it the less chatter I have. Some times it is pronounced other times smooth as can be. I don't know what to blame it on other than the material used on the new clutch discs? If I ever have to tear it down again I will try a Ft. Wayne pressure plate and disc.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Fortunateson

I had an issue years ago caused by my drive shaft with the universal orientation at the tranny 90* out of since with the differential yoke.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
flatheadmurre

How is your engine main bearings...if the axial play of the crank is bad you have another thing that moves.
If you do a hard takeoff putting more pressure on the enginemounts and pressureplate is the shutter less then when you go easy on it ?
Did you put a dial indicator on the flywheel in the car so it´s running true...if the mounting flange on the crank is for some reason not straight ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #11
chuck stevens

I had a similar problem on my 49 when I replaced the clutch and p plate. The replacement clutch disks are not made correctly, they should have a cushion (a wavy metal disk) between the friction surfaces. You should be able to squeeze this with your fingers. Talk to the guys at Fort Wayne clutch & drive line, they are the best. They will take care of you.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
I had a similar problem on my 49 when I replaced the clutch and p plate. The replacement clutch disks are not made correctly, they should have a cushion (a wavy metal disk) between the friction surfaces. You should be able to squeeze this with your fingers. Talk to the guys at Fort Wayne clutch & drive line, they are the best. They will take care of you.

Chuck's got it right !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
chap52

I would assume that you replaced the pilot bearing after having the fly wheel it out 3 times.
Had a similar issue and discovered that in my "haste" I didn't notice that the throw-out bearing hub was worn out of round. Probably from 60+ years of being driven with a foot resting on the clutch pedal.
Please keep up posted on your progress, Chap.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
rick r

I would replace the pressure plate with a modern diaphragm type
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
northeastcarnut

The pilot bearing was replaced. The flywheel was resurfaced twice by competent machine shops. The chatter starts when I let up on the clutch, engaging the flywheel. If I let up slowly, the chatter is the worst. If I let it up faster and drive right off, It's not as noticeable. I have the adjustment just right. There is enough play. The pressure plate is nos and everything else has been replaced. The clutch fork and throw out bearing are also new (different from Mercury). Everything appears tight and straight. There is some play in the rear end, but no noises from any bearings. This Ford idles smooth and runs great OTHERWISE! I appreciate all information from you folks.
northeastcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastcarnut View Post
The pressure plate is nos and everything else has been replaced.
NOS does not mean it is good. Some NOS parts were rejects that are still around. If it was me, I would quit change parts and check out what I have. You need to assure the flywheel is on the same plain as the rear mounting surface of the block. And you need to have the pressure plate checked out. I would talk to someone like Ft Wayne and see what they can do for you.

Just reread your first post, you have a 3 after pressure plate. Does than mean you have installed 3 different pressure plates? I get really confused as to why folks keep changing parts and then don't understand why they still have the problem. You can change every part on a car numerous times and it is not going to help anything until you determine what the problem is and correct it. Parts changing is not always the best approach to problem resolution. Some of these changes were probably a smart move, such as motor mounts, trans mount, etc. But when that doesn't solve the issue, it is time for true trouble shooting.

Last edited by JSeery; 03-25-2018 at 11:37 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
flatheadmurre

Put a dial indicator on the flywheel and check if it runs true.
It will tell you both axial play and if its off in an angle.
If that checks out fine do as Jseery says and ship out your parts to good known clutch rebuilder.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #18
Greg58

This is the kind of thing that kept me from changing my clutch for years, we've heard of this same problem from a lot of people so its not something that the installer is doing wrong its probably that the clutch system it self is the weak point. I changed my disc only last weekend with no problem, I reused the pressure plate and marked its location before removal so I could put it back. One of the earlier posts was to change to a different type pressure plate, I had to do that in the 70's to stop chatter in a GTO. I tried the same things you have, finally went with a much heavier unit for a 426 hemi to fix it.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
George/Maine

I think a 51 mercury bell housing is a half bell. They had a 6 even spaced flywheel bolt pattern .What trans are you using one with 1" spline or larger 1 1/4"
If mercury flywheel throw-out bearing is larger.
If you have a 1953 car it uses a 9 1/2 clutch.
You should only Ford 49 to 53 parts. If you had the flywheel re drilled could be wrong.
Those new PP are not to good fingers like sliced bread. No Factory Adjustment screws at end of finger. Save money and relive the days gone by and don't fix.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
J Franklin

A friend with somewhat similar deal was not supporting the trans well on install before tightening up and distorted the disk.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote