Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Tod

Default Update from Hardtimes.

"Hey Tod,
Yeah, progress ! I got some time today, away from family problems, to do the necessary tuning on my roadster B that contains your cast iron Winfield. A buddy needed help, so when done with tuning (timing check reset/ carbs adjusted and put a new automatic advance 'BUBBA'...aka Jim Linder distributor on.
I could not believe the response of this head as tuned to this engine ! It ran BETTER than it ever has in the 1600 miles on this engine !! I've had a whole lot of different configurations of carbs and heads and dist on this engine. It never stopped pulling in all three gears , until I took foot out of throttle. No pinging, no hesitations, nothing but good hard work. I could not locate my old cheapo compression gage, but last thing, is that I want to get psi of each cylinder. I'll try to get that and get info back to you tomorrow. This head has strongly outperformed the 7:1 alum Winfield that I had on. I'll attach a picture of that head here... This head is a winner !! Personally, I would continue making it with the 18mm plug threads/holes, but those who wish, can get 'adaptors' from parts houses. I was just experimenting with the plugs that I finally ended up with, but it must have been perfect heat range and reach.
I have heard a couple of people say....that that head combustion chamber is NOT an authentic copy of the original crowfoot. I don't know how you came up with this chamber , but it darn sure is a winner, in my testing ! I wouldn't change what is a winner, eh.
I do not know how to send this message over to the Fordbarn , from here, but think that it should be ! Of course, that is up to you.
I was going to change this head out and put it on my newly made B, but do not think that that is going to happen now. As a buddy here said, 'when it is running this great, how could you improve on that....leave it alone'."

In a similar vein, I am working on also providing an exact duplicate of the original crow's foot for those who want that instead of my version.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Update from Hardtimes.

I second what hardtimes said Tod. And maybe he listened to me when I said to, "leave it alone". Now if I can just talk him out of that engine. HUM. Good work on that head Tod.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Juggler

Love it when a plan comes together
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
waxhead

Great update.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote