Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
drolston

Default Function trumps Awesome

Planning to take the '41 across the country in the Spring, for which reliability becomes the priority.

I have been fooling with my Offy 3x2 with chrome Super 97's (1 primary with choke and idle circuits, 2 secondaries) for three years and it is just a very fussy setup, even with the most expensive progressive linkage. The engine is a 284 inch 59A/B with 425 Offy heads and a mild cam (Schneider 248F). Vacuum dithers between 12 and 13 at idle. Stock transmission.

Runs great on just the primary, and will go like hell when I floor it to open the secondaries, but after such bursts of RPM and power, it stumbles for a while. And I have never been able to cure the problem of having the engine die when coming to a stop. Tried all suggestions I have found, to no avail.

The '34 Pickup has a Holly 390 on an otherwise stock 53 Merc engine. It goes great and has been flawless in all driving and weather conditions.

What four barrel intake manifold would work best on the 59A/B block, with a generator mount and vacuum port for the crab/Pertronix distributor? I also hope to stay with stock throttle linkage. Is there a better choice than the Holly 390? Any particular version or tricks I should know?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote