Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Never been easier.

While re-restoring my 29 tudor has had its moments of frustration, yesterday I realized that if I were doing this back in the 70s when I restored my first Model A it would be much harder:

1. Money - Now: I can afford to get the parts and supplies I need. THEN: I would often need to save up for a purchase.

2. Information - NOW: Resources like the Barn and the rest of the internet make finding information only a few clicks away. THEN: I had to hope someone published a book with the info. Yesterday after only a couple of hours after posting a question here on the Barn I discovered I had the wrong spare tire carrier installed on my tudor (an A1380-B instead of an A1380). Thanks Barn members!!!

3. Parts - Now: So yesterday (after checking the JS) I found out that I needed an A1380 spare tire carrier. However I needed not just any A1380. The one I needed for my early 29 had A1383 on the inside of the casting. Within 20 minutes I had located one on E-bay and purchased it!! THEN: I'd hate to think how long I would have had to search swap meets, or read Hemmings to find one! (I did not know about Bert's back then.)

So, if you are like me and trying to bring a Model A back to as close to original as possible, be thankful your doing it now!

Last edited by pgerhardt; 06-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Never been easier.

I think there is one key 'tool' that you did not include, and that is WISDOM. You are much wiser now about things regarding execution that are likely the key factor in success.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
mhsprecher

I have often thought the same thing. If I had access to this information back in 1967 when I had my first Model A, I might have made some real progress!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
J Franklin

One thing to remember about early restorations was the fact that a part costing $1.00 in 1966 is now $20.00. We also had some wrecking yards containing model a cars & trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bens auto.jpg (59.5 KB, 63 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
One thing to remember about early restorations was the fact that a part costing $1.00 in 1966 is now $20.00. We also had some wrecking yards containing model a cars & trucks.
In the 60's we also had a lot of NOS parts.

What Brent said about knowledge is ssure true. In the 70's I could have bought a complete Model A coupe for $40, but thought it was beyond repair because it had no paint and no upholstery. That's one I'll never forget.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Old Cars? FWIW:

Remembering even further back in the late 1940's and 1950's, out front of people's houses for the garbage man were antique hand carved mahogany armoires, hand carved marble table top dressers with mirrors, large four (4) post teester beds with canopies and mosquito nets, ornate cast iron wood stoves, old ornate kerosene heaters, making way for the sleek horrible looking 1950's modern furniture which today is considered by many as pure junk.

Ornate Victorian houses and simple beautiful colonial period houses were torn down to be replaced with a ranch style brick veneer box with an unsightly out of balance large single glazed picture window out front and a tiny bathroom aluminum window right next to it.

Those driving pre-1940 cars were considered the poorest of the poor who could afford nothing else.

A person driving a Model A back then appeared about as respectable as a homeless person pushing a shopping cart full of blankets from garbage can to garbage can.

Then "wham"!

A new generation ...... old became precious .....prices for antiques skyrocketed ..... people started collecting ...... old was good ..... genealogy became interesting ...... black powder guns became popular ..... old fishing baits were like gold ..... Williamsburg, VA became interesting to visit ........ museums became interesting ........ the few antique cars that never made it to the wrecking yard started to reappear.

Appears those who respect their parents and ancestors always respect their children and grandchildren ...... those who do not ...... well, just look around for an education.

Let's keep it going.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-03-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Wisdom, experience and cash flow can turn the impossible into routine ! Unfortunately some times they all come too late in life ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
wallster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I think there is one key 'tool' that you did not include, and that is WISDOM. You are much wiser now about things regarding execution that are likely the key factor in success.
That is an understatement! I was selling a '29 Tudor and had it listed with detailed photos as well as a fair asking price. Most of the people who came to look at it were very excited until they realized that it would take some effort to transform this original car into a restored classic. They would shrug their shoulders, scratch their heads and then tell me that they didn't realize how much work it would take to restore the car. The car's over eighty years old and they saw detailed photos, why in the world did they think it was a weekend job over a case cold beer? There's a certain amount of common sense (or wisdom as pointed out) that makes any challenge less daunting. Nice job on the restore!

Wally

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
RobertB

" making way for the sleek horrible looking 1950's modern furniture which today is considered by many as pure junk."

Oh no no no....now that's MID-CENTURY stuff that has become highly collectible?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
SeaSlugs

dont forget digital cameras and thier ability to take 1000's of pics while tearing down a restoration.

never seem to have enough pics of just the right things at just the right angles though....