Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2024, 12:13 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default Trip to the nationals in the 34

I’m on my way to the nationals in Echuca in the 34,my usual transport is the 33 so travelling with out the caravan is a bit different,
The 34 has the stock bore Babbitt engine in and is so very smooth. and a pleasure to drive. and they must have been a revaluation when new.
After I fixed the loose spindle pin,it steers great, with one hand on the wheel and over the whoopdys and pot holes it stays straight.
My repaired fuel gauge is fairly accurate looks nice with the red fluid.
So far around 850 klms up to this morning ,before I went sightseeing in the farm lands out east of Moree.
Eng used no oil and is still clean, coolant has not moved and stays around 75-80C.
I had put new woven linings in the front and adjusted them all up.it would stop on a 5c piece now and is very comforting to be in traffic now.
Yesterday I did my first stint on the main hiway(Newel) and had no problems with traffic
I have come the inland way via Miles and Goondiwindi.
I would like to see the suspension on the road from Moonie to Goondiwindi as it was like a roller coaster,I was warned about it so had dropped my speed a bit,luckily. But no bits fell off or shook loose.
Tomorrow I have another rest day before catching up with the other club members from Brisbane
If you look closely at the last pic there is a top dressing plane doing a pass .
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07B2EDC9-8EEF-473F-9B85-F811A6AFC5CA.jpg (144.5 KB, 766 views)
File Type: jpg 1A29371E-D47C-429F-9E2B-BB42B5E63C5E.jpg (63.2 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg CD29A2BB-1CE7-452D-9C00-435E456C4F65.jpg (112.5 KB, 762 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:01 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Trip to the nationals in the 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I’m on my way to the nationals in Echuca in the 34,my usual transport is the 33 so travelling with out the caravan is a bit different,
The 34 has the stock bore Babbitt engine in and is so very smooth. and a pleasure to drive. and they must have been a revaluation when new.
After I fixed the loose spindle pin,it steers great, with one hand on the wheel and over the whoopdys and pot holes it stays straight.
My repaired fuel gauge is fairly accurate looks nice with the red fluid.
So far around 850 klms up to this morning ,before I went sightseeing in the farm lands out east of Moree.
Eng used no oil and is still clean, coolant has not moved and stays around 75-80C.
I had put new woven linings in the front and adjusted them all up.it would stop on a 5c piece now and is very comforting to be in traffic now.
Yesterday I did my first stint on the main hiway(Newel) and had no problems with traffic
I have come the inland way via Miles and Goondiwindi.
I would like to see the suspension on the road from Moonie to Goondiwindi as it was like a roller coaster,I was warned about it so had dropped my speed a bit,luckily. But no bits fell off or shook loose.
Tomorrow I have another rest day before catching up with the other club members from Brisbane
If you look closely at the last pic there is a top dressing plane doing a pass .
Lawrie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:07 AM   #3
mercman from oz

Lawrie, looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 03:42 PM   #4
Lawrie

Thanks Trevor, me too
You have a safe drive down.
Lawrie
Old 04-27-2024, 11:01 PM   #5
danliveshere

The coupe is looking sharp Lawrie . Wish I was coming too!!!!!!
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:10 AM   #6
hop up

Beautiful coupe and awesome scenery. How many miles will you put on your trip
Old 04-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #7
Lawrie

Hop up ,maybe 4500klms
Danny, get the 35 going.lol
Yesterday I went to look at the Australian national telescope array, out west of Narabri,this is 6 huge antennas that are 22mtrs diameter and form an antenna 6klm in diameter. Sure was impressive.
Did some washing and dried it on the seat
It was about 25 kms off the main highway I was on ,so on my return I see a short cut back to the highway and take that,well ,it was a dirt road that was nice and smooth but as dusty as ,
15 klms of dust.
Nice drive in the real country road.
Back on the hiway i stop at a small settlement and make a coffee, take some pick of an old home and meet u farmer who shows me his HZ Manaro he has had since new,
So at the next town where I’m staying the night I washed the 34 as I felt bad seeing it so dusty.
Tomorrow I meet up with the other club members from. Brisbane
Lawrie

Last edited by Lawrie; 04-28-2024 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-28-2024, 06:08 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Hop up ,maybe 4500klms
Danny, get the 35 going.lol
Yesterday I went to look at the Australian national telescope array, out west of Narabri,this is 6 huge antennas that are 22mtrs diameter and form an antenna 6klm in diameter. Sure was impressive.
Did some washing and dried it on the seat
It was about 25 kms off the main highway I was on ,so on my return I see a short cut back to the highway and take that,well ,it was a dirt road that was nice and smooth but as dusty as ,
15 klms of dust.
Nice drive in the real country road.
Back on the hiway i stop at a small settlement and make a coffee, take some pick of an old home and meet u farmer who shows me his HZ Manaro he has had since new,
So at the next town where I’m staying the night I washed the 34 as I felt bad seeing it so dusty.
Tomorrow I meet up with the other club members from. Brisbane
Lawrie

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #9
Kens 36

Lawrie,

Many thanks for letting us ride along.

Ken
Old 04-29-2024, 06:47 AM   #10
flatford8

Beautiful car!....I really enjoy your trips....thanks for ride!....I hope you have a safe trip!......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:27 AM   #11
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I enjoy your trip very much. Wish I was there to ride along with you. Very nice 3 window coupe. Keep the story about your tripe coming. We do enjoy very much all your post. Thank you
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:23 AM   #12
fortyonerag

Thanks for sharing. Impressive reliability.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #13
Lawrie

Well the nationals were great, it was so good to catchup with old friends.
The Brisbane members were a special treat to travel with ( thanks Conner and team)
There will be plenty of pics on the barn from the meet.
The coupe was entered in the concourse in the rouge devision.
It won a rouge award loosing only 58 points,( hose clamps, wiper motor, condenser and a few other things,)
It also got a special mention as they were amazed I had driven it 2400klms to the event,also I won the raffle and picked up two prestige detail kits,my two daughter in-laws will like them.
The event finished mid day yesterday Monday, and after, I left for my trip home,which I think will be around 2300 klms.
First morning on my return trip didn’t start too well as leaving Griffith I was too focused on the copper sitting by the school zone and missed the turn and went about 30 klms off corse.
Never mind , after asking a farmer I was soon back on track
I had a B double cattle truck catch me up on the back road and after letting him past followed him for the next couple hundred Ks , on the back it had a sign,
Beef bus,the cattle had their heads out the side , maybe getting some fresh air.
Will know tomorrow when I fill what the MPG is ,up but did 328 klms on the tank today,
The coupe is going great and this morning put 1/2 litre in the engine, used no coolant.
But one thing I noticed is I did a hard stop this arvo , and noticed a trail of water on the road, I think it was from the radiator over flow pipe when I braked really hard.
I’m stopped for the night in a small country pub .
Lawrie

Last edited by Lawrie; Yesterday at 02:17 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #14
38 coupe

Good to hear the meet was a success, and fun pictures of your travels. Thanks for the update.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Well the nationals were great, it was so good to catchup with old friends.
The Brisbane members were a special treat to travel with ( thanks Conner and team)
There will be plenty of pics on the barn from the meet.
The coupe was entered in the concourse in the rouge devision.
It won a rouge award loosing only 58 points,( hose clamps, wiper motor, condenser and a few other things,)
It also got a special mention as they were amazed I had driven it 2400klms to the event,also I won the raffle and picked up two prestige detail kits,my two daughter in-laws will like them.
The event finished mid day yesterday Monday, and after, I left for my trip home,which I think will be around 2300 klms.
First morning on my return trip didn’t start too well as leaving Griffith I was too focused on the copper sitting by the school zone and missed the turn and went about 30 klms off corse.
Never mind , after asking a farmer I was soon back on track
I had a B double cattle truck catch me up on the back road and after letting him past followed him for the next couple hundred Ks , on the back it had a sign,
Beef bus,the cattle had their heads out the side , maybe getting some fresh air.
Will know tomorrow when I fill what the MPG is ,up but did 328 klms on the tank today,
The coupe is going great and this morning put 1/2 litre in the engine, used no coolant.
But one thing I noticed is I did a hard stop this arvo , and noticed a trail of water on the road, I think it was from the radiator over flow pipe when I braked really hard.
I’m stopped for the night in a small country pub .
Lawrie

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM   #16
koates

Hi Lawrie. Thanks for posting all the great photos of your travels. I had not seen any photos of your three window in a long time. A well deserved trophy win at the nationals. Safe trip home. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote