Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default Got NO Title? "Vermont Loophole" To The RESCUE

If any of you have ever found yourself in the position of purchasing an old car that is more than 15 years old, and that is not stolen, and that comes WITHOUT TITLE or a reasonable way to end-up with a LEGAL title, then pay attention!

I was rummaging through some YouTube videos this morning and happened upon these guys talking about a "Vermont Loophole". As the relatively short video goes on to show, the state of Vermont does NOT title cars that are more than 15 years old. Also, you are NOT REQUIRED to be a resident of Vermont to register a car in Vermont. This is pointed-out in full print on State of Vermont DMV forms. The video does show that only THREE Vermont DMV forms (available on line) are required to be filled-out, and submitted covering all of the usual questions that we all have seen to REGISTER a car in most any state. Vermont ends-up sending you two plates (front & rear) and the necessary registration documents showing YOU to be the LEGAL OWNER, as well as to be able to establish a new title in your home state. These guys walk you through the entire process and clearly show the filled-out paperwork in this video. I just thought about a couple of cars that I had bought in the past with no title, or screwed-up paperwork in some manner, that this process would have made matters MUCH easier to accomplish, and at a very reasonable cost. I just thought that some of ya might find this information to be of real value! Click the link BELOW! Coop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHKNoMHDSs

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Got NO Title? "Vermont Loophole" To The RESCUE

Sounds to me like the new phony title scam. Don’t ever buy a car that has a Vermont title.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
cas3

I did the title scam 30 years ago. Remember, years ago in hemmings there was ads from two places, one in New York, and one in Georgia, " we title any car" . I picked Georgia. In both those states vehicles over 20 years old do not require a title. So, for my 200 bucks, I got a set of Georgia plates, registered to me, and a copy of the state statue about old cars not needing a title. I take all that down to my minnesota dmv and they give you a funny look and say "so?" you still need a title to register ownership, in this state anyway

Last edited by cas3; 05-02-2022 at 05:11 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

>>>I take all that down to my minnesota dmv and they give you a funny look and say "so?">>>

Well, then, you shoulda tried another MN DMV,. Then smiled harder. And only showed them your registration. Just so they wouldn't get annoyed by all that peach state old car title & plate nonsense. If I was a 10,000 lake state dmv employee, I prolly tell you "so" too if you showed me too much peach state stuff without even a peach state smile or peach state drawl. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
J Franklin

If you have a friend in the auto business you trust you can have them obtain a mechanics lien and then sell you the car after the paperwork is obtained. Or find out if your state will do a bonded title. The DMV just doesn't want to title a stolen or greymarket vehicle.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
arkusvt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
i live in vermont and have obtained titles for my old cars. the titles are perfectly legit, HOWEVER,when you register your car you will pay a 6% "purchase and use fee" to do so. no way around it. makes no difference if you bought and paid for it 20 years ago, you still HAVE to pay that fee in addition to the registration fee. if you try and low-ball the value of your car they will not accept it; they use either nada or blue book values, (haven't done this in awhile, so not sure of current use). other than the $$$$, it's a painless process. we're not dumb up here in the vast north, we even recently started using flush toilets!
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 PM   #7
tubman

I'd have to say that (for me anyway), this would be the last alternative.

Good to know, though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #8
ssffnomad

Been going on for years. On the back end, hardly very very hear of a issue.
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #9
ms fowler

I believe that people use Vermont to get Titles for old Mopeds. Mopeds were often sold without Titles--even when brand new. When some States began to require Titles for registration of Mopeds, maybe 15 years ago, many legitimate owners were stuck. The Vermont "scheme" was well publicized back them, enough publicity to make me wonder if they hadn't closed the "loophole". Glad to see that route is still available---mopeds are becoming more popular and selling one with a Title is a plus.
ms fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #10
Frank Miller

I have no title for my 49 because when I registered it in 82 Mass did not require titles on vehicles over 10 years old. They do now and seeing I have it registered could easily obtain one. But how many vehicles have been sitting for years with no title due to the state's fault? So many old fords have been cobbled together they are more of a homebuilt car. I have a 21 Tudoe in pieces with a B engine and the frame numbers are not legible. I'll probably have to get a registry plate affixed to it if I ever get it together.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #11
rockfla

Alabama "used" to ALSO be a very easy state to get a title "problem/issue" resolved IF you knew a resident AND as long as the vehicle you were working with was NOT stolen. Alabama never issued titles to vehicle prior to 1972 SO there was never a "paper trail" on a vehicle 72 or older. We had several vehicles with lost titles (here in Florida) that we "ran" through Alabama by just a hand written "Bill of Sale".......BUT now.....you have to have the vehicle present at the time of registration AND I think you also get issued a "title" at the time of registration....It's been quite awhile since we had to do it SO maybe someone from Alabama can confirm the issuance of titles now? ALSO here in Florida, bringing a car from another state and getting a Florida title, you also have to pay a state "impact" fee on the transfer. Alabama USED to be a big "stolen vehicle" destination here in the southeast because of such lax documentation!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #12
pistonbroke

I bought my 55 Tbird in Arkansas with no title and it was easy to get the right papers there to title here in Washington. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
HOTRODPRIMER

That won't work in South Carolina. HRP
Old 05-03-2022, 08:45 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
I bought my 55 Tbird in Arkansas with no title and it was easy to get the right papers there to title here in Washington. Tim

We have it good here in Wa. No inspection anymore when you bring one in from out of state. 15 bucks and a weight slip if you put another body on a titled frame etc. Always had good dealings here. Ain't cheap by any measure.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #15
1942deluxe

I bought my 1942 Ford Deluxe Coupe on a bill of sale in Iowa. Previous owner never had a title but had owned 20 plus years. I started the bonded title process in Iowa but for some reason never completed it 20 years ago before we moved. In Pennsylvania you have to get a Declaratory judgement for Penn Dot to issue a title. There is a nationwide VIN search to make sure it isn't stolen. You will also need an inspection mechanic to verify the vin or a tracing of it. The whole process was about $1,000 including attorney fees. I'm spending major bucks on the car and didn't want to have to look over my shoulder because I took shortcuts on the paperwork.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #16
A bones

Thanks COOPMAN I just may take the option. I've known for years now that a vehicle can be registered in Maine regardless of address.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:56 PM   #17
J Franklin

Follow this fellow get his bonded title. References the Vermont loophole.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/378291...omment-2366268
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:42 PM   #18
cas3

In Minnesota we can get a bonded title, its not a big deal now days, usta be. Now, a pic of all 4 sides of the wreck, and a story of where you bought it, any story, don't matter. Then your pics and paperwork get examined by they're panel of "experts" and they put a value on it. If the numbers do not show up as being stolen or already in use, you get a letter back with the $ value, then get a bond for that value, mail it in and your new title arrives soon. I've done many. The bond is 1 1/2 times the value , usually not too much. Just did a 34 roadster wreck, 10k value, 250 or so for the state application and license fees, and the bond was around 3-4 hundred, I forget, but reasonable as compared to trying to wiggle around the law as I did 30 years ago

Last edited by cas3; 05-04-2022 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote