Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
takato

Default 1929 roadster sill plate install

I have new sill plates for my roadster but I need to see how the sill plate brackets attach, if anyone can post a picture or describe how the sill plate bracket goes. Thanks
takato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Dick Carne

Default Re: 1929 roadster sill plate install

If I understood your questions correctly, it is my recollection that the inside lip of the sill plate slips over the inside edge of the floor sill and then presses down over the top of the floor sill until the bottom reveal is even with the outside body reveal. If memory serves me, there are four metal screws that then hold the sill plate to the sill/ sub-rail. You may need to test fit these first, although Albrecht Towing (I believe that they at least made the first of these-or perhaps Brookville now) makes a pretty good replacement panel. Its been almost 25 years since I've worked on either our '28 roadster or '29 touring car, but if instead you are asking about the sill support underneath the sill plate, my recollection is that there is an outer support that is welded to the sub-rail that helps to support the outer edge of the sill plate . These should be intact on your car, but if not, Bratton's (and perhaps others) has these on pg. 155 of their 2014 catalog). Hope this helps.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 roadster sill plate install

Dick Carne is correct in his description. I installed a pair a few months ago on my 29 phaeton as the front pair is identical to a 28/29 roadster . There is a heavy metal spacer that is spot welded to the outside of the subrails. This keeps the light gauge sill covers from collapsing. The sill cover fits over the subrail and the outside of the sill cover is bent around the bottom of the outside subrail. The part of the sill that is bent around the subrail is shown in the top part of second picture. The front sill covers are fairly easy to install compared to the rear sills on a phaeton which require a lot of welding and fitting to look correct.I am posting a couple pictures of the sill covers I installed.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote