Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
lotsagas4u

Default 31 pickup headlights not working?

Hello, first time messing with a model A here, installed new harness(tyree), head light sockets from Snyders. The light switch is pointed straight down. Horn does work, tail ight comes on with switch of lever. Brake light is not working, and headlights not working also. Black painted headlight buckets have no paint on socket ball, am I missing something on these? Does have the spring
/screw setup in headlight, has 2 sockets, main/park I suppose.
Thanks for your help.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #2
bavArian

Default Re: 31 pickup headlights not working?

Check if the wire going to the headlight has -6 V. If it doesn't you most likely have a problem with the light switch.
If you have -6 V, check if you have ground on the inside of the headlights.
If you have ground as well it can only be a problem with the bulb itself or with the socket. Do the front park lights work?

Stoplights work independently from the light switch. That's a separate switch near the transmission tower.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
nkaminar

I second what bavArian said.

Parking bulbs, if they are in the headlights, are at the very top of the reflector. Sockets are the usual suspect. Lots of them have been replaced with connectors internal to the headlights. Some owners run a ground to the spring at the rear but the better fix is replacing one of the rivets at the bottom with a screw and nut and ground there.

The switch has two positions for the headlights, a low and high beam. Turning counter clockwise turns the head lights on and clockwise turns the parking lights on. See owner's manual, available at vendors. Are both low and high beam not working? Ground would be suspect then.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Big hammer

I'am installing a new harness also, my findings that the new contact disc on my new harness is too thick. One of the main suppliers online said to grind .035 off of the wire side of the disc and or .035 off of the can that covers the wires. I had saved the old disc and transferred it to the new harness. I have brake lights, tail lights, waiting for new head light bulb sockets, I need to ring out too see if I have power to the plug going into the lights. Also the off position isn't at 6:00 is at 7:00 ? not sure why that is but will later. Off should be at 6, park at 7, low at 5, high at 4, I think. Good luck to you and me also !
Old 11-15-2021, 02:51 AM   #5
mar4i7

Same issues i got have with my car some couple years ago..Thanks to help i got from this forum on my previous account..Just had to out this up recently when i wanted to get back to the community and found out i cant get in my account again..So i had to put this up..Good to be back here anyways..I have always found the forum so helpful.
mar4i7 is offline   Reply With Quote