Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Front brakes and king pin

Am assembling front end with all new or cleaned parts, and have a couple quick questions.-I have finished king pin assembly and greased it. Is there supposed to be any grease inside the king pin? I just slid the operating pin in and encountered some grease. It may just be grease left over from lubing the KP to prepare for installation.
What is the trick to tapping in the dust cap over the adjusting wedge? Tapping on the center just expands the disc, and I can't slip one edge in enough to hold and then tap the remaining circumference in.
What is the correct position for the felt dust washer? Is it supposed to fit tightly between the backing plate and spindle before inserting the operating pin, or just very tightly in the backing plate hole after inserting the pin ?
Should there be a cup in the top of the operating wedge? The original operating pin has a pill or weld gob welded to both ends of the pin, and what appears to a factory-made cup seated into the top of the wedge. The cup was easy enough to remove. I haven't seen the pills recommended to lengthen the pin, but this cup would only add 0.010-0.105" . If it is not a pill, but a necessary part of the wedge I need to know so I don't lose it. BTW, new tracks installed and new pins to be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0883 - Copy.jpg (27.9 KB, 42 views)
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #2
GRutter

Default Re: Front brakes and king pin

Russel -
I always grease the brake operating arm at the top of the king pin where it engages with the pin. You will also get some grease there when greasing the front brake operating shaft housings.
Try using a large socket with a C-Clamp to "press" the cover into the housing.
There are two felt dust covers. One sits in a metal cup and goes between the spindle and bottom of the axle. There is some discussion regarding whether the metal cup goes below or above the felt. I build mine placing the cup on top (Curved edges facing down) with felt underneath, as shown in the 28-48 Green Book for 1932 vehicles. I have never seen it documented for 28-31 vehicles, but can't imagine Ford changed the process.
The second felt washer is placed around the brake operating pin and goes between the backing plate and spindle.
Originally there were no additional cups or "pills" to lengthen the operating pin. They are aftermarket 'solutions' to angle the front brake levers approx 15 degrees to maximize brake leverage.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote