Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #41
Johnnydidd

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Glad to see you traveling info, I really enjoy Old Henry's travels, been looking for them. Now you are posting your travel across the northern USA, very enjoyable, kept posting, a lot of fun. Thanks John
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #42
Frank Miller

Well let's start with the good news. I drove from Stanley North Dakota to Cut Bank Montana today. Approximately 500 miles. Speeds are in the lows 60s. I must be getting old. I just feel like I don't have the strength to drive faster but it give me an enjoyable pace. Seems like every house along the way has their own private junk yard. Saw a few old Fords but did not stop to get pics.
The weather has been great and Route 2 has gone back to a single lane 2 way highway. There are parts where there is not even a shoulder on the road. Scenery has been changing but there is a lot of vast open space. This place is really desolate, peppered with a town every 30 or 40 miles.
The plan tomorrow was to go to Glacier National Park. Because of the fires I am not sure how that will pan out. The sky is hazy here about 60 miles away due to the smoke. I'll just go to the entrance and see what they say. Washington State does not look much better and heading down into Oregon is going to be a mess by the map I looked at. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm open. They say there are air quality issues and the 49 already gets anemic at higher elevations. :-)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #43
VeryTangled

Hey Frank! You are being so generous by taking us along on your Route 2 Trek! We're hanging on every word. Back here on the right coast where there are 25 cars between you and the traffic light. And another light a half mile ahead. You da Man.

You deserve to get most miles award or whatever they call it! Hopefully Dale is still home!

Cool cars are chick magnets!

Note these are Frank's photos that he shared, and I'm posting because I know what a pain it can be to try do keep up with this from the road. I am not on the trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (36.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (58.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (46.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (33.5 KB, 114 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #44
50fordcoupeman

VT,
It will probably take you a couple more days to get near Oregon from Glacier in Mont. The air quality in the whole northwest is very poor right now. It ranged from 200-400 today because of all the forest fires, above 50 is considered unhealthy. I-84(at The Dalles OR) is closed now because of the fires. Just letting you know so that you will have time to plan an alt route if needed.

The car show in Seaside is really good. Have fun and be safe.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #45
GB SISSON

I just love these travelogues! I will be on the mainland on Thursday with some free time. If you cross the border near Bellingham Wa. on Thursday I will buy you lunch! Feel free to pm me.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #46
oldbugger

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
thanks for the trip your taking us on, wife and I did the same route last summer from mi to west coast and back. very nice ride, if your in northern ca on the way back check out mt lassen nat park, nice workout for the flat head. paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #47
flatford8

Along with the other posters I too apreciate being taken along for the ride!!..... is that the convertible that was parked by the gate at the Fitchburg Swapmeet the last couple years?.... Have a safe trip!!!....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #48
JM 35 Sedan

Hi Frank, thanks for the update. I'm heading out tonight on my trip but will still most likely be able to follow your posts when Wi-Fi is available. Continue to stay safe.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #49
50fordcoupeman

VT.......... freeway will closed for the "unforeseeable future" according to the news here but at The Dalles on I-84 they are detouring traffic into Washington. No need for an elaborate detour for you. Good traveling!!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #50
Frank Miller

I plan on driving 2 to Everett and then going down 101. VT poste my pics but I'm Frank. No problem about the mixup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
VT.......... freeway will closed for the "unforeseeable future" according to the news here but at The Dalles on I-84 they are detouring traffic into Washington. No need for an elaborate detour for you. Good traveling!!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #51
Frank Miller

Here's the deal. I'm in this little town of Libbey Montana and I got one of the last rooms. There are people staying here who are evacuated because of the fire. We're on the other side of the river so it's a little safer. Today I went north to The Road to the Sun. It was only open as far as Logan's Pass. I was just to The Continental Divide before having to turn around. I knew this going in but figured I'd see what I could. You can see the smoke haze from the pictures. For me it was not too bad until I got further south and back on 2. Entering the lower elevation you could smell the smoke and I was getting a bit of a headache. I'm just dealing with what it is. Keep going until they tell me to go different.
The car was running hot going up some of the hills and I had to add quite a bit of water. I stopped for lunch and the car was vapor locked when I went to start it. It started but then died. I just loosened the fuel line and took off the sediment bowl to add a little gas to the carb to get it going and I was off. It ran fine for the next 150 miles or so. Right after I made the repair I ran into a gentleman with a 41 Ford. I'll post that from my phone.
I was talking with one of the guest at the hotel and he noticed my rear tire separating. I changed that out and thinking I may get new ones soon. Like before I go back.
Not sure how the res of this trip will pan out because the whole northwest is basically on fire all the way to California.
It has been an experience and will continue to be. Just keep opening doors to see what's behind them.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #52
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. I'm trying to do a little assist for Frank by reposting some of his photos. He's getting a bunch of good stuff! Here's a bunch that are from today, that he describes in post #51 I think.

He also had a nice GTO and Nova. Nice cars but I'll spare you unless you insist.

Frank had a dedication to CecilWV and JM 35 Sedan for the last photo: Met this pretty lady from Belgium. Her husband was nice enough to snap the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (71.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (64.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (39.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (44.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (36.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (39.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (43.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Capture8.jpg (54.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Capture9.jpg (56.4 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #53
woodburnranch

Hi Frank, You were in my territory yesterday. I live about 100 miles south of Havre. Sorry you have to endure the fires, we have been close to 3 months without measureable rain. Last year it was so wet it was difficult to do any farming. I should have given you a heads up about Joel Fenger's car museum in Chester along the highway. He has some nice early Ford V-8s. Congratulations on being brave enough to tackle Montana and Dakota, hopefully you were able to enjoy a sunrise or sunset. Jim
woodburnranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 AM   #54
50fordcoupeman

Sorry Frank about the mix up!! My mistake. Libby MT area is beautiful. My brother lives close to there. Anyway your route is good and will keep you away from some of the Oregon smoke. It has been days since we have seen the sun here. BTW, I love your car!! I am partial to 49-51s. Yours looks A#1............
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #55
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm trying to do a little assist for Frank by reposting some of his photos. He's getting a bunch of good stuff! Here's a bunch that are from today, that he describes in post #51 I think.

He also had a nice GTO and Nova. Nice cars but I'll spare you unless you insist.

Frank had a dedication to CecilWV and JM 35 Sedan for the last photo: Met this pretty lady from Belgium. Her husband was nice enough to snap the pic.
Like Cecil always says....that Frank's a real chick magnet

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #56
TJ

Frank, you might want to consider coming down the Columbia Gorge on the Washington side. It sounds like the fires are nasty on the Oregon side according to this mornings news.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #57
Frank Miller

Jeff could youput up those pics of Dewar. He's owned that 41 convertible since 1954 when he was 14
Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #58
VeryTangled

Yup, Good I saw this before leaving for, ugh, work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (58.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (62.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (60.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (46.8 KB, 137 views)

Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #59
mhsprecher

"I was talking with one of the guests at the hotel and he noticed my rear tire separating."

Thank goodness for the sharp eyes of some of your car's admirers. It's a reminder to us to check things out each morning when we are on a long trip. One never knows. Given the terrain and the roads, better to pick this up beforehand than have it fail on a difficult stretch of road.

Is the 41 the guy's daily driver? What is the bag on the fuel pump for? I assume it is to keep the fuel pump cool to prevent vapor lock? What is under the hood on the passenger side inner fender?

Last edited by mhsprecher; 09-07-2017 at 09:37 AM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #60
Seth Swoboda

Did you also notice the hub cap for an air cleaner top? It's very eclectic. The '41 looks to be in good shape. I also wonder how it does pulling that trailer up mountainous roads?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote