Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #21
Ken B

Default Re: storm damage

Thanks for all the replies. My insurance does cover replacing the headliner but I wanted to exhaust any possibilities of saving it without having to send it to a museum restoration business. The adjuster for the insurance company prefers me to have this repair done by someone other than me or others in our club. I am having a real hard time finding a repair shop nearby that has any experience with a Model A. The search continues.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Ken i have been following your thread and am sorry to hear about what happened.. do you have the expertise to perform the repairs yourself?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
old car guy

Sorry for you problem . Had a similar thing yrs ago on a 40ties cad. We wet the headliner in place down and very carefully washed it in place by hand and then took a wet vac with a very soft brush and sucked the water out . It took several attempts and it cleaned nicely with no apparent damage visible . Hope this might help. Best of luck
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
Russ/40

I can't imagine the material being durable enough to withstand a cleaning and re-installation. Like Brent said, you would have to add to the material to allow for handling and adjusting during installation. Just too much messing with the material for it to survive all that. JMHO. Sorry for your predicament, it is a shame.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
Clem Clement

Years ago in a Model A rag (Busted Knuckles or something like that.), someone said that rubbing the back of a silver spoon on the water stain line will remove the line. I have not tired that method.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #26
Ed Saniewski

I used a Bissel green carpet and curtain cleaner to clean the original broadcloth upholstery in my 31 town sedan, and it worked great. I mixed Woolite and water for the solution. I would remove the headliner and give it a try. What do you have to loose? If it dose not turn out well, then you can get a new head liner. Find a local auto upholsterer and have him install it.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #27
Barry B./ Ma.

I would bite the bullet and buy a new headliner from LeBaron Bonney and replace the top at the same time. I wouldn't want a patched up and stained mess and the lack of selvage as Brent says would be a real challenge and when done you won't be happy with the result. Unfortunate but those things happen.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Thanks for all the replies. My insurance does cover replacing the headliner but I wanted to exhaust any possibilities of saving it without having to send it to a museum restoration business. The adjuster for the insurance company prefers me to have this repair done by someone other than me or others in our club. I am having a real hard time finding a repair shop nearby that has any experience with a Model A. The search continues.
Is it not the insurance companies obligation to find the restoration shop? Why would you want to do it yourself when the insurance company will hire a professional which will likely exceed your skill level. Let them have it and let the work get started !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote