Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
Ziggster

Default Is it normal to build an engine test stand?

Ever since I purchased my junkyard flathead back in 2018, I have watched dozens and dozens of vids of folks who have tested their flatheads on home built engine test stands. I really never gave it much thought, but do most actually do this this? I plan on making one and was just curious as I get closer to completing mine.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
Ford Freak

Default Re: Is it normal to build an engine test stand?

A test stand would be great, if you have the space for it. I don't, so I test my engine in the car . Personally, I only know one Early V8er who has a test stand . - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
fordwife

Many of us do. If you have basic welding and fabrication skills it is fairly easy to do. And you probably save some $$$$
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Newc

I use the test stand for customers mainly... They want running used engines. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
FortyNiner

No test stand here. Everything done on the car.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
McMimmcs

Usually only a business has a test stand.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I made one years ago. I sell a few used engines, but I made it for my own use. I overhaul engines for my own trucks. Machine shops are two trips to the mainland and a bunch of money. I have the orange Henry Ford authorized 1947 engine service manual. It is meant for ford service depts. It clearly states the wear limits which are acceptable for getting a ford back on the road in reliable condition, while not in NEW condition. That's good enough for me. Bust out the ridge reamer, cylinder hone, rings, valve job, new bearings if needed (plastigage is your modern friend) and put it on the stand. If there is a leaking head gasket, oil pan, bad cylinder (rare), low oil pressure (also rare), timing, carb problem......then it is SO easily repaired out of the truck. I took my last block to a machine shop 21 years ago. For me it's just a hobby and I have a great time driving around in my overhauled fords.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-01-2021 at 11:50 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #8
slowforty

An old truck tire works well also
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:02 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

A test stand can deatroy the rings faster than 100k miles. Why?? well if you have a run stand you\ll run the new engine without a load. Doesn't hurt for a short time just to make sure everything is working right. But then you have to run it for your buddies while you get the car ready. A year later you put it in the car and wonder why it burns oil. now you know. Truck tire works just fine.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:20 AM   #10
Tinker

You don't want to break the engine in on the stand as Ol' Ron said. But to my thinking working out a few bugs on the stand with short runs a few times won't do to much.

Is it necessary. nope. But as mentioned test stands or easy to make. But not easier then pulling the motor again. maybe.

Yblock I was messing with on stand to see if it would run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbMD...ature=youtu.be
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:37 AM   #11
cas3

i have one too. any time i buy a motor that turns, its fun to run it and see what you bought. see if they leak, see if they smoke, and some times run it long enough to loosen up a sticky valve or dead cylinder brought back to life. i do respect the opinion of others like Ol ron that you can kill a new motor with too much fun, but i still enjoy seeing some life in it before its installed
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:17 AM   #12
tubman

I made one, primarily to test run a used '56 hemi I had purchased that was supposed to be a "good runner". It turned out to be in excellent shape. I had a couple of other engines I wanted to test, including a used '51 Mercury and a '51 Olds Rocket, so I made it "universal" with a rear mount from a Harbor Freight engine stand that slides back and for to accommodate different length engines and front mounts to pick up "Hurst-Style" saddle mounts. It has served me very well up to now, having test run 4 engines so far.

I will disagree a bit about the value of these stands. All piston rings available for most engines (including flatheads) these days are of the "Moly" type that break in almost immediately. I see no problem with starting a new engine with this type of rings and breaking it in on a stand. I also have no problem running a used engine that already has it's rings seated for enough time to get the bugs out and to see what kind of shape it's in (and even show a friend or two). I would much rather do the initial testing and running of a new engine on my stand, which has a full compliment of gauges, a good radiator with external fan, than laying on a truck tire on the garage floor. Should I build and engine with 50 year old chrome (or even cast iron) rings, I certainly would be careful to avoid glazing the cylinders. I really don't see this happening.

In my opinion, an engine test stand is real handy to have, especially if you are dealing with multiple engines or used engines. In addition, I really enjoyed building it. I do have one hint. Put substantially larger casters on your engine stand than on your cherry picker so it will roll under the stand. I used the same size on everything, and guess what happened.

Last edited by tubman; 01-02-2021 at 03:24 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #13
Tinker

Well you would not be tubman without a little bit of disagreement. But you might agree breaking in an engine with load might be beneficial. NHRA run snap the motor once after a rebuild. But the real rundown in on the track. Under load.

Nothing wrong with a run stand.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #14
Ziggster

Now that some others have mentioned it, I do recall reading that an engine should be broken in under a load, and also it needs an exhaust of some type to have a bit of back pressure. I don't want folks to start a big fight, but there is no way I can put the engine under load as the car chassis won't be ready for who knows how long.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
big job

I agree with Ziggster. Those who do engine builds really have no clue as to
what happens when the engine goes out the door. Typical example, with a
A class wooden boat a Criss Craft. Customer figures to to build the engine
a massive 175hp Hercules flathead. So we did '4yrs' ago and the boat ain't
done yet you know the deeper you dig on wood the deeper you get. Thats
why I strive to do the test, so I know its turn key out the door. Radiator exhaust with muffler and tail pipe I strive for whisper quietness what the
Flathead is noted for. Looking for no valve noise or any noise perfect oil
pressure no overheating.. past the test I sleep at night. And then there are
new or rebuilts that are dedicated to run something say 700 800 rpms all day
like a circulator pump that I got involved in at water dept. with really no load
its just moving water with no real pressure. There ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TEST STAND.jpg (44.1 KB, 98 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #16
Ziggster

Doing some more research, and there is local dyno shop that says they can break-in your engine for you. I guess a cam needs 20-30 mins at 2,000 - 2,500 rpm's at no load, whereas the rings require alternating high load to seat them properly which only comes from either driving the vehicle or using an engine dyno, Will call them this week to get more info. Did learn that you should NOT use syn oil for at least the first 4,000 miles! Half day is CAN$750.00, but at least engine will be broken-in properly, and I'll know how much torque/Hp the little mill makes which alone almost seems worth it. Seems like a win-win to me. Lol!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
FRANK PKNY

I like to run the engines prior to installation. Checking for all vitals. No need to over do it but I go through two heat cycles in order to re-torque the heads. much easier on my test stand.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #18
Gene1949

X2 FRANK. Setting the timing and idle.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #19
flatjack9

I have 3 test stands. Keep one used engine up and running to test rebuilt carbs and distributors. Always nice to know you have good units when starting a new engine.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #20
GB SISSON

I have a place on my stand where an oak 2x4 about 5 feet long with a notch in it will lever against the edge of the flywheel next to the ring gear. It is amazing how much you can slow a stock flathead down with this. Many times I have 'climbed hills', and 'crested them' during my break in period. A pail of water to dip the 2x4 into keeps the flames at bay. Added benefit... When showing off your engine you can lean on it and get that sound. I don't think the engine knows it is really climbing a hill or not. And keep an eye on the temperature!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote