Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
rscardina

Default Fun day at school

We had 4 cars from our club at an elementary school in Baton Rouge. The kids made me nervous. However, their smiles were priceless. In my opinion, this is what it is all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.1 KB, 201 views)
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Vern

Default Re: Fun day at school

A few years back I was asked to bring my '28 roadster to the local school by a friend's daughter. She had done her history report about Henry Ford. I picked her up at her home, we drove to the school and the car was part of "show & tell" Every student got to sit behind the wheel while getting a photo. Their questions were great; "where's the CD player?", "are there air-bags in the rumble seat?", and none asked me what I payed for it. It was a great morning. Glad you made their day.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Why would the kids possibly make you nervous? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Tiny

Good for you!! That's a great thing to do. Maybe a few of them will have their interest sparked and get their own Model A Ford one day.

BTW, What's the story on that paint job?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
rscardina

I am a big LSU fan and found this car on ebay. It was a funny story though. My wife and I attended the Great Race as it came through Baton Rouge a few years ago. While looking at the cars and talking to the drivers I noticed my wife asking questions about the cars. Mainly about cost and ease of maintenance. I didn't think anything of it until we arrived home and I discovered her looking at vintage cars on the internet. When I asked her what she was doing she shared with me her desire to own a vintage car one day. Who knew? We had been married for about 25 years at the time and she never shared this with me. She had found our car on ebay and showed to me and the rest is history. We purchased this car knowing nothing about Model A's. I didn't know there were Model A clubs around until after we bought the car. This has been a real enjoyable experience. The Barn crowd and the club people have made this a great hobby. Sorry to get long winded on you. Hope I didn't bore too many of you.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Sailormike

I think that was awesome of you. when you get right down too it you shouldn't have been that nervous whats the worst they could have done. Scratches can be fixed. I use my car for weddings and its not a trailer queen show car i get out and drive it often. If i can't drive it and enjoy it whats the use in having it? When I was in 8th grade I had to do my final science project and I choose the internal combustion engine and part of it my dad brought our 1930 model a coupe whom engine we had just rebuilt together to school for me to show to my classmates. In fact when we were done and it was time to crank it up we put two of my classmates in the rumble seat and my dad was in the passenger seat and I drove them around the circle. I didn't even have my license.
Sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
ian Simpson

When we attend shows, the doors of our cars are open to all. We get a huge kick from the smiles on the faces of both the elementary school kids and the octogenarians when they get to sit in the drivers' seats.

To us, that I what it is all about, not the scratches on the paintwork or dirt on the seats.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Terry Longest

I have taken our station wagon on to Transportation Day at my grandchild's elementary school in recent years. I open both front doors and let each student get in, honk the horn and slide across and exit the passenger door. The grins are priceless. I hope I have generated at least one old car fan, even if not for Model A's.
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
Lona

I agree that generating interest in Model A's from kids is really important for continuing our hobby. At shows, our roadster is always open for those who want to sit in it. When out driving, we often get asked by folks if they can take cell phone photos. As others have said, our answer is always NO...........but if I'll take a photo of you behind the wheel instead.

We need to continue to find ways to pass our interest and our cars on to the future generations.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Ryan, I'm from Hammond and LSU. If you need any help with your car I would be happy to help. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Tiny

Your wife sounds like a keeper and good job sharing your Model A with the younger generation.

Last edited by Tiny; 03-10-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Redbird

I always let people that show a little respect sit in my car. Their smile is "priceless"!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
rscardina

Thanks Jack. I will definitely keep you in mind if I need anything. I remember pm discussion that I have had with you before. I love your videos. I hope to begin doing this for our club one day. This event would have been a great start.

Yes Tiny, my wife is more than a keeper. I wouldn't be enjoying this hobby and on this forum if it weren't for her.