Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #21
cas3

Default Re: original paint cars

original paint is a wonderful thing for sure, but i hate to hear all the bad notes on fake patina, it has its place. original model A's, and fat fender fords are plentiful enough that some patience will get you a nice original car. what if you have a hankerin for a 32-3-4 ? the only 2 good original 34 3 windows i've seen for sale in the last year, one brought 52k, didnt run !, and the nicer one 72k! so, the common man needs the fixer-upper for a mere 20 to 30 grand that will need patch panels and other new tin here and there, so it must be sealed up with primer, and then what, the 10k paint job? not for me, i drive a lot on gravel roads, birds poop on it in the barn, and theres more to life than washing cars. i'm gonna seal it up, paint it, wet sand off enough to make me happy. its preserved, i'll drive the hell out of it, and when i'm dead some one else can start to polish it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Mine ended up in a junkyard in Minnesota in 1966. It also doesn't sport the original paint as Henry painted it. Someone in the '50s repainted over the tan paint with a green, but most of that has since worn off, revealing the true original paint. The interior is still original except for a couple layers of old rags and burlap over the seat springs. I'm way too cheap to ever do a 'proper restoration'. 4 kids, work with my hands for 44 years and live in a very small community. Wouldn't change a thing.
Love that last picture of the inside of your panel truck.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #23
Sixseven

I bought my truck as a nearly complete running vehicle. It was made up from three other trucks. An owner prior to me painted the Gulf signage on the door and did a good job of making it look authentic. I've recently started doing bodywork to repair rust, fender rips and dents. I won't be able to make it perfect but I believe if it has a sound body the next owner will have something to work with. It will not have the $15k paint job, it will be a fun project.

I recently visited a man that had an "over-restored" '29 Ford pick up. It was in great shape but just looked too shiny and not the least bit historical.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
petehoovie

If an original car has minor rust and dents, it should be deemed a 'mortal sin' to restore such a car. There is something to be said about the 'patina' gleaned from age and use which is forever lost when a car (or truck) in such a condition is restored. The 'POX' on those who would do this!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-28-2015 at 11:00 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #25
BrianCT

Here are a few pic's from shows. The hood is on a 32 chrysler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01858.jpg (78.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01862.jpg (59.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02131.jpg (37.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #26
flat 39

Late 40's or early 50's seafoam green repaint. I have no plans repaint it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 coupe small.jpg (198.9 KB, 102 views)
flat 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #27
34fordy

I have no plans to paint this one either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.8 KB, 147 views)
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #28
FrankWest

Quote:
Mine ended up in a junkyard in Minnesota in 1966. It also doesn't sport the original paint as Henry painted it. Someone in the '50s repainted over the tan paint with a green, but most of that has since worn off, revealing the true original paint. The interior is still original except for a couple layers of old rags and burlap over the seat springs. I'm way too cheap to ever do a 'proper restoration'. 4 kids, work with my hands for 44 years and live in a very small community. Wouldn't change a thing.
Love your truck...
The inside is fantastic...Feels like I went back in time.. You can sense the past there....If repainted I think you will lost that sense of reality of the past.
Love it!!!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #29
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
I have no plans to paint this one either!
That is a beautiful finish on your car!!! Love it.
Do you put a wax on it to protect the paint?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #30
Chris

None of my cars have original paint.
My 33 pickup has a paint job that I couldnt tell you how old it is. I would guess 40's or early 50's

My 41 convertible has a respray of the factory black, it was parked in 63 so I would guess it's a 50's job.

My 53 Sunliner was restored in the 60's, so I'm guessing it was a 10-15 year old car when it was resprayed.

And my roadster was stripped to bare metal when I got it. Everything but the inner fenders, which still have nice factory paint on them
Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #31
FL&WVMIKE

I have two, original paint V8 Fords.
One is my 1934 Phaeton, as seen on my avatar.
The second is my 1935 Ford Cabriolet.
The fenders were reworked, before I got it. The hood, doors and most of the body are original paint.
One photo is of the first day, that I bought it.
I think they would be more fun, as is, rather than worrying about getting an expensive paint job, scratched.
MIKE (mikeburch)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34hoodup.jpg (515.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 34beachst.jpg (584.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 34post13.jpg (318.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 34spare4.jpg (351.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 35firstday.jpg (153.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 35atpark.jpg (100.8 KB, 93 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #32
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
That is a beautiful finish on your car!!! Love it.
Do you put a wax on it to protect the paint?
When I purchased the car in 2014 it had not been washed in many years--
I just used Turtle wax on the body, hood, and rear fenders--The front fenders were surface rusty and I read that some guys use Johnson's paste wax so I tried that--
The car has spots where the paint is worn thin and the undercoat is visible-Also many scratches and little dings including door hinge over-opening dents--The picture probably makes it look better than a close inspection would--
I have found this year that most people expect that in an 81 year old car--They really seem to appreciate it this way and I expect the next owner will feel the same--(When I find the coupe or pickup I am looking for)
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #33
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
GB SISSON .......................
Love that interior shot. It really makes your imagination wander. Is it set up to go to Hershey, someone that mothers would keep their daughters away from or just a working man who has to follow the work ?
That photo is neat ! Maybe it could be a post card.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #34
Capt Kirk

I also agree with 37 Coop. There comes a point in some vehicles lives where ya just gotta step in and do something. Civil War homes...some have weathered the years fairly well and some not so much. Some we need to step in to preserve and restore. On the other side of the coin, there's also something beautiful about these old cars that have been made new again (I had no choice to repaint mine). I regularly get jealous on this site when I read how a lot of the members are racking up the miles on their old Fords. I'm "white knuckling" just driving down to the stop sign. The old original paint cars are beautiful and tell the history of the car but there's a point where a person needs to bring a car back from the "jaws of death"
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
GB SISSON .......................
Love that interior shot. It really makes your imagination wander. Is it set up to go to Hershey, someone that mothers would keep their daughters away from or just a working man who has to follow the work ?
That photo is neat ! Maybe it could be a post card.
MIKE (mikeburch)

It was pretty much full of trash and useless junk when I had it hauled here from Parker's Prairie Minnesota last February. Rear axle split in half, engine seized up hard. I already had an engine and an original tonner axle here. What sold me was the intact interior, mainly the bed floor. This picture was taken about Aug 1st as I was leaving for my annual 4 days at the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery Association's threshing bee and show. I bought the army cot for 5 bucks and hung up some artifacts. For the first time in 27 years at the show I slept like a baby. My 'theme' was precisely that..... Guy living in the back and following the work. We still see this scene, but today it's a 25 year old van conversion or a smaller, boxy motor home with a 440 mopar with a manifold leak and one mag wheel........ Thanks for all the kind words here, I really appreciate that many of you enjoy it.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
Topsterguy

This car was bought new here in Victoria BC canada in '36 and I am the 4th owner. It was originally a Dark grey but the 2nd owners son had it painted tan in '60.......and "Ma" , his Mom, said "You ruined my car!!" She pretty much parked it til my buddy bought it in '93 , then I bought it in 2013. There's a great feature on it in the latest issue of Canadian Rodder magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may 2015(f).jpg (174.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg may 2015(d).jpg (165.8 KB, 53 views)
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #37
Fe26

The last picture of the interior of the Panel van, says it all doesn't it. We crave the genuine, we want to see the evidence of a genuine experience, a genuine life. We know we now live in different ways than our fathers did, and we got a taste of that life as children, then we grew up and our world was different and so we learned what nostalgia is. We crave the genuine because it satisfies our need for nostalgia.

The interior of the Panel van is reconstructed to appear genuine, good enough for some and who is to argue with the honest intention to indulge in some nostalgia. It's a pastiche of how some folks actually lived and is therefore valid if not strictly 'correct.' But we still crave the genuine.

And the same sentiments apply to our cars; a couple of members here have commented 'it's not genuine unless it's a museum piece, change one thing and it's gone. From that narrow and strict point of view to the 'She was repainted some time ago but has aged beautifully' genuine is obviously very subjective. I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle ground which says; the life that is lived is the genuine life, that means every blemish records an event in the life of the car.

Someone mentioned the state of some houses dating from the Civil war, and I imagine the same thinking applies to Conservation in the USA as it does here, and the mantra goes 'Save as much of the original fabric as possible' further to this 'the repair(s) should be made using the same materials and techniques as were the originals and the repair should be obvious with a close look.

So to apply that thinking to the bodywork on our cars, what would your approach be? Would you apply a patch to a panel using oxy/acet welding, and how far would you take the painting? How many patches or percentage of body area would it take before you decided to go the whole hog and restore/repaint the car?
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #38
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
The last picture of the interior of the Panel van, says it all doesn't it. We crave the genuine, we want to see the evidence of a genuine experience, a genuine life. We know we now live in different ways than our fathers did, and we got a taste of that life as children, then we grew up and our world was different and so we learned what nostalgia is. We crave the genuine because it satisfies our need for nostalgia.

The interior of the Panel van is reconstructed to appear genuine, good enough for some and who is to argue with the honest intention to indulge in some nostalgia. It's a pastiche of how some folks actually lived and is therefore valid if not strictly 'correct.' But we still crave the genuine.

And the same sentiments apply to our cars; a couple of members here have commented 'it's not genuine unless it's a museum piece, change one thing and it's gone. From that narrow and strict point of view to the 'She was repainted some time ago but has aged beautifully' genuine is obviously very subjective. I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle ground which says; the life that is lived is the genuine life, that means every blemish records an event in the life of the car.

Someone mentioned the state of some houses dating from the Civil war, and I imagine the same thinking applies to Conservation in the USA as it does here, and the mantra goes 'Save as much of the original fabric as possible' further to this 'the repair(s) should be made using the same materials and techniques as were the originals and the repair should be obvious with a close look.

So to apply that thinking to the bodywork on our cars, what would your approach be? Would you apply a patch to a panel using oxy/acet welding, and how far would you take the painting? How many patches or percentage of body area would it take before you decided to go the whole hog and restore/repaint the car?
Very well said! When I bought my coupe from my buddy I promised him that I would retain as much of the "originality" of the car as possible, because that's what he wanted and that's what I like, and he knew that. It's got lots of marks and tears and through research I know where they all came from, and that's cool.....it's all part of the car. I LOVE the "aura" of the car......."feeling" where it's been over the years!
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #39
mhsprecher

I am looking at an original paint car. It makes me nervous, though. I would truly be a steward and how good a steward could I be of this car? Not the same as a repaint, which can always be redone. Maybe I should not worry so much about it, but it is something else to think about.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #40
theHIGHLANDER

I had my doubts about this one, but I can't find a lick of overspray, not a single tape line, nothing. Good ol Henry Ford black:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150730_160841763_HDR.jpg (60.9 KB, 114 views)
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote