Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
tinman7

Default Rear brake lights

Would like add some brake and running Led lights Where can I find some good size tail lights? I have a 1917 touring.
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
CharlieB

Default Re: Rear brake lights

Lang's and Snyder's have "period" lights. Anything you buy will have to be converted for LED use.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
JoeBauer

Are you keeping your car period correct? If so my solution won't help. I like period correct, and it is great on a seldom driven car. I drive my cars a lot and safety is the overriding factor for me.

My '26 Fordor is pretty much accurate, but I dId put brakes lights on it. I used two LED trailer light kits, one I had stored here for a few years, the other from WalMart about $30. And a turn signal kit from Lang's. And some other stuff.

If you look at the picture of the rear of the car the lights are all mounted on a 1"X4" which is held by two 5/16" nuts, one on each side. There is nothing here that is not easily reversible if one wanted to take the car back to original.

It is wired so that the two outside lights are running/brake/turn. Every other light on the back, including the bar in the middle, is brake. She does light up when I hit the brakes!

The box on the back replaces the spare tire and is bolted to the spare tire carrier. It carries a tool kit etc. and has a false bottom. The bottom comes right out to reveal the wiring. The turn signal leads are all extended to a terminal block in this box. All joints are soldered, no butt joints. There is a feed from the battery to a fuse block from which there are several circuits including to the turn signal switch, fuel pump and fuel cut off solenoid, a couple of GPS unit power plugs, and probably something I have forgotten. You might also notice a signal flasher unit and a couple of load resistors on the turn signals because the LED's do not draw enough current to run the flasher unit.

The connections from the car to the box are done in standard trailer plugs wired in a non-standard way. The light bar is easily removable with the two aforementioned nuts and then unplugged if one wanted to drive to a show and then remove the non-standard lighting.

I don't claim it to be pretty, it is a bunch of LED lights on the back of a T, but it is functional. The bottom line on this to me is that it works, it is bright, and it is easily reversible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07577.JPG (141.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07573.JPG (144.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07574.JPG (147.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07575.JPG (146.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07568.JPG (143.7 KB, 39 views)
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
nhusa

I put 12 volt LED stop lights on my Model A and T. The least expensive way is to get trailer lights from Harbor freight or other place and use a transformer to change 6 volts to 12 volts. I attached the A lights to the bumper with clamps and made a removable bar for the T so there were no extra holes.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote