Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default Decoding a Holley model 1901-FF carburetor

How do I decode a Holley 1901-FF carburetor?

Second question:

Did they make different sizes of the "Tube Assy (carb main well)" # 13 on the Daytona parts sheet, for the rebuild kit. When I put the wire provided in the kit, down the Tube Assembly on two identical carbs, it goes down one and not the other. Both sets of the tubs have been cleaned. I can put a smaller wire down the one the Daytona wire will not go into. There are no makings on either set of tubs.

I have sent Daytona Parts Co. an e-mail, but thought someone might have run into this previously.

I do own the repair manual for the carburetor and my question is not address in the manual.

Thank you,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0565 (2).jpg (77.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0571 - 1.jpg (47.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0045 (2).jpg (32.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0049 (2).jpg (47.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-12-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Decoding a Holly model 1901-FF carburetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
How do I decode a Holly 1901-FF carburetor?

Thank you,

Roy

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
scicala

Default Re: Decoding a Holley model 1901-FF carburetor

Quote:
How do I decode a Holley 1901-FF carburetor?

Second question:

Did they make different sizes of the "Tube Assy (carb main well)" # 13 on the Daytona parts sheet, for the rebuild kit. When I put the wire provided in the kit, down the Tube Assembly on two identical carbs, it goes down one and not the other. Both sets of the tubs have been cleaned. I can put a smaller wire down the one the Daytona wire will not go into. There are no makings on either set of tubs.

I have sent Daytona Parts Co. an e-mail, but thought someone might have run into this previously.

I do own the repair manual for the carburetor and my question is not address in the manual.

Thank you,

Roy

Those tubes are the main well air bleeds. According to my old Holley manual, the hole on the top end should be .031" on the LIST 882 carb. It also says it's the same for '52 carbs.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Sal,

Thank you for the reply.

After a few more calls, it turns out the difference between HOLLEY LIST: 882-1 and 694, the 694, is for the 1952-53' Mercury, standard transmission and the (882-1) is for a 1952-53' Mercury, Merc-O-Matic.

The orifice in the top of the Tube Assembly (main well) is .031 for both.

Have you tried the new Float Valves from Daytona yet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd carb 3 (2).jpg (55.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0565 (2).jpg (77.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9989 (2).jpg (42.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9991 (2) arrows.jpg (53.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0050 (2) arrows.jpg (46.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9992 (2).jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9993 (2).jpg (37.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9995.jpg (16.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-13-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:33 PM   #5
scicala

Quote:
Sal,

Thank you for the reply.

After a few more calls, it turns out the difference between HOLLEY LIST: 882-1 and 694, the 694, is for the 1952-53' Mercury, standard transmission and the (882-1) is for a 1952-53' Mercury, Merc-O-Matic.

The orifice in the top of the Tube Assembly (main well) is .031 for both.

Have you tried the new Float Valves from Daytona yet?
Yes, I've done a few Teapot style Holley carbs with the Daytona type flat disc fuel valves, and have had no complaints with that style or the tapered neddle type.

Sal
Old 06-15-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

It looks like you set the float a bit shallower with the new float valve.

I just rebuilt mine with a Daytona kit and now the accelerator pump will not work. I did it 12 years ago too, when I first got the car, and never had an issue. I have been dealing with Tim (technical assistance) there, but this this going to be a long day.

When I finished initially, I put it on the car and it started and idled beautifully, but when you push the accelerator pump, nothing is coming out the the tubes. When I put gas in just the main body, before I assembled it, and pushed the plunger, it worked beautifully. Then I assembled the main body to the throttle body and nothing. I can confirm the gas level is high enough to allow it to go through the feed hole to the accelerator pump.

Now for the answer - incorrect re-assembly:

During a lengthy discussion with the Tim at Daytona Parts Co (manufacture of the rebuild kit), I mentioned, the after reassembly, I put the carb back in the car and it idles perfectly, but would not accelerate. He knew immediately what the issue was, since it seems to be a common issue with reassembly by do it your selfers, of the Holley 1901, used on the 52'-53' Mercury's. When you are putting the the main body (the top) on to the throttle body (the bottom), the large brass tubes can match up the the holes in the nozzle tubes in two different locations. So you have a 50/50% chance of getting it right. Well lady luck was out for a beer and yes I managed to align them up to the wrong locations. After the correct alignment was achieved, I was back in business.

The first two pictures are the wrong location and the wrong installation. The second two pictures show the correct location and the correct installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9990 (2).jpg (70.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001 (2).jpg (74.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9989 (2).jpg (63.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9992 (3).jpg (37.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0571 - 1.jpg (47.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-16-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:55 PM   #7
Brian

Thanks for posting this. Whilst I never play with 'late model stuff', I am sure this thread will help other people working on these teapots.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:40 PM   #8
scicala

Quote:
It looks like you set the float a bit shallower with the new float valve.

I just rebuilt mine with a Daytona kit and now the accelerator pump will not work. I did it 12 years ago too, when I first got the car, and never had an issue. I have been dealing with Tim (technical assistance) there, but this this going to be a long day.

When I finished initially, I put it on the car and it started and idled beautifully, but when you push the accelerator pump, nothing is coming out the the tubes. When I put gas in just the main body, before I assembled it, and pushed the plunger, it worked beautifully. Then I assembled the main body to the throttle body and nothing. I can confirm the gas level is high enough to allow it to go through the feed hole to the accelerator pump.

Now for the answer - incorrect re-assembly:

During a lengthy discussion with the Tim at Daytona Parts Co (manufacture of the rebuild kit), I mentioned, the after reassembly, I put the carb back in the car and it idles perfectly, but would not accelerate. He knew immediately what the issue was, since it seems to be a common issue with reassembly by do it your selfers, of the Holley 1901, used on the 52'-53' Mercury's. When you are putting the the main body (the top) on to the throttle body (the bottom), the large brass tubes can match up the the holes in the nozzle tubes in two different locations. So you have a 50/50% chance of getting it right. Well lady luck was out for a beer and yes I managed to align them up to the wrong locations. After the correct alignment was achieved, I was back in business.

The first two pictures are the wrong location and the wrong installation. The second two pictures show the correct location and the correct installation.
Yes, not the easiest carbs to do. I had a gentleman send me a carb that would not accelerate too. Turned out to be the main discharge tubes were not in the correct holes on the choke shaft hollow rings when the bowl was reinstalled on the throttle body.
Not an accelerator pump issue at all.

Sal