Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default Screw jack covers for 1952-53 Mercury and Ford, convertibles and power seats.

70 years ago, when these cars were built, the screw jacks (used for the convertible top and the power seats) came with a clear cover, over the threads and housings. Over the years the clear plastic covers have turned yellow and become brittle with age, rendering them unserviceable.

See pictures 1-2

Obviously this not an issue when the cars are being judged, since all of the screw jacks are hidden. The Convertible top screw jacks, are in the rear fender wells, behind the side panels and the power seat motors, are under the front seat.

Pictures 3-5

The covers were in place, to keep dust and dirt off of the screws along with keeping the surrounding areas free of grease splatters, when the screws were turning. The issue was where I could find material, to make new ones. The convertible top screw jacks turned out to be somewhat simple, in that I could use bulb covers, intended for T8 florescent lights. I cut each of mine with scissors, to 15”, allowing you to get 3 covers, out of a single 4’ tube. To install the new covers, simply place them over the end of the screw jack and slide them down over the base. It is a tight fit, but they will go over them. Then install the single wire clamp over the cover, to hold it in place. The seat motor covers are installed the same way.

Pictures 6-8

The seat motors (one, for a two way seat and two, for a four way seat), were not quite as simple. The T8 covers were way too big. I searched around and found that the candy cane tubes, used for candy at Christmas, would work perfectly.

Pictures 9-11

One final note, the clamps for the convertible top screw jacks, are 1 ¼” Single Wire Clamps. They are available through McMaster-Carr, at [email protected]

Picture 12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (75.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (65.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (74.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (29.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (54.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (32.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (49.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (29.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (49.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (10.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-18-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Screw jack covers for 1952-53 Mercury and Ford, convertibles and power seats.

If it was made from plycarbonate plastic then there may be a source for tubing made from that material. I did a quick google search and found some. I also have the tubes that gas welding rod comes in but it is more flexible and may not last like polycarbonate does. Lexan is the trade name and I've had helicopter parts that were made from it. Mostly air ducts for special purpose fan applications. The stuff lasts about 20 years in some pretty rough conditions but that's about it. If it sets out in the sun a person can halve that time. If it's under something that keeps the radiation and heat off of it then it will last many years. Lexan sheet can be heat formed and some adhesives will work well with it to put two halves together. I usually just change over to fiberglass since it lasts longer and is easier to repair.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Screw jack covers for 1952-53 Mercury and Ford, convertibles and power seats.

rotorwrench,

Thanks for the additional information. Turns out, the one I used is made from polycarbonate plastic. I bought them at Home Depot for $5.47 each.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-18-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
5851a

Nice find on the covers.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote