Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
mike1934

Default 93 octane fuel

Will 93 octane fuel make my engine chugg
mike1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: 93 octane fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1934 View Post
Will 93 octane fuel make my engine chugg

No it would not
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Shouldn't need that high an octane fuel unless you are running a high compression ratio. But to high an octane shouldn't cause a driving issue. How about bad fuel? I have seen several cases where the fuel (at the supple station) is contaminated with something, like diesel or water, etc.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The chugg description will need further clarification. At what rpm is this chug and is it when the engine is under load or no? Engines will miss and rpm fluctuations can happen under certain conditions but the only thing that chugs is a steam engine in my way of thinking. Stuck valves can cause after fire in the exhaust and a lean fuel mixture can cause backfire through the carburetor. These would be like the definition of "chug" when related to motor vehicles.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

The question, as asked, cannot be answered. Please define what "chugg" means? Running octane much higher than the requirements of the engine can cause some performance issues but I would not refer to that as being a "chugg".
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
warhorseracing

Higher octane fuel burns slower than a lower octane number. Higher compression ratios require a slower burn rate than lower compression ratios. Did the engine "chug" before you tried the 93 Octane fuel?
warhorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorseracing View Post
Higher octane fuel burns slower than a lower octane number. Higher compression ratios require a slower burn rate than lower compression ratios. Did the engine "chug" before you tried the 93 Octane fuel?
Higher octane fuel has more resistance to pre-ignition, it is more resistant to ignite due to compression. In a gasoline engine you want the fuel ignition to be by the spark plugs.

It doesn't have any more energy or higher performance. In a flathead it is a waste of money.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
warhorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Higher octane fuel has more resistance to pre-ignition, it is more resistant to ignite due to compression. In a gasoline engine you want the fuel ignition to be by the spark plugs.

It doesn't have any more energy or higher performance. In a flathead it is a waste of money.
That is what the slow burn of higher octane does is slow down the ignition rate to burn slower. Exactly, a waste in any flathead unless running extreme compression or forced induction. Even then it depends on the timing and static compression ratio.
warhorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
corvette8n

I run non ethanol fuel which only comes in 93 octane in my area, no problems in my ‘41 or the snow blower, lawnmower.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I run non ethanol fuel which only comes in 93 octane in my area, no problems in my ‘41 or the snow blower, lawnmower.
It sure makes my 40 year old chain saw start easier and run better.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
It sure makes my 40 year old chain saw start easier and run better.
My impression and my friends who have used higher octane gas in a variety of vintage vehicles is the car runs better -However its probably pyschological rather than scientific . The same pyschology that gets millions adding useless fuel additives to the gas tank.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
My impression and my friends who have used higher octane gas in a variety of vintage vehicles is the car runs better -However its probably pyschological rather than scientific . The same pyschology that gets millions adding useless fuel additives to the gas tank.
I think he is referring to non-ethanol gas. I agree 100%. The ethanol gas causes havoc in small engines and motorcycles if left to sit for any extended period; even with Sta-bil, etc. in it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
When my dad was growing up in SE Massachusetts in the '30s, they lived behind his stepdad's gas station on rt 6. They sold something like 8 brands of gasoline. Flying A, Mobilgas etc and the loyal customers would swear by their particular favorite brand of gas... "ol Bessie won't even climb a hill on the cheapass stuff you're filling up on". Well, years later Dad told me they only had One underground tank and it was re-filled at night by a flat black painted fuel truck...
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote